Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: 2024 FAI Cup

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts

2024 FAI Cup

A "revamp" has been announced, but in practical terms, it seems the preliminary round has merely been renamed the first round, as eight of the twenty non-league sides are eliminated at that stage, while the eight winners and four bye recipients join the LoI clubs in the last 32, which now becomes the second round:

https://www.extratime.com/articles/3...d-first-round/

Eight MSL clubs involved seems distinctly higher than normal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    I end up saying it every year but think it's a nonsense how many bad ties get played in this competition. We see some average teams reach the final 4 or 8 by avoiding LOI sides. The 4 euro teams should get a bye to what is now the third round would be one less game they need to play in their congested schedule. The best junior and intermediate sides deserve a shot an LOI teams but they should have to beat a Kerry or even a Galway before being in the same pot as Shamrock Rovers or Derry in my opinion.

That being said this is an amazing competition and last years cup final would have been on a similar profile to All Ireland QFs or SFs which is a hell of an achievement from a decade ago.

The magic of the cup is alive and well here for the time being at least.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post
    I end up saying it every year but think it's a nonsense how many bad ties get played in this competition. We see some average teams reach the final 4 or 8 by avoiding LOI sides. The 4 euro teams should get a bye to what is now the third round would be one less game they need to play in their congested schedule. The best junior and intermediate sides deserve a shot an LOI teams but they should have to beat a Kerry or even a Galway before being in the same pot as Shamrock Rovers or Derry in my opinion.

That being said this is an amazing competition and last years cup final would have been on a similar profile to All Ireland QFs or SFs which is a hell of an achievement from a decade ago.

The magic of the cup is alive and well here for the time being at least.
    I know it's your opinion, but I would disagree. The cup is an opportunity for non-league clubs to get a glamour tie, give it their best shot and get a few quid. Most know when the draw a big club they will go out so treat it as their cup final and have a great day out, but remember Saint Francis went all they way to the final one year. In NI one year non league Carrick Rangers won the cup. I may be wrong but I remember Cobh playing several replays against one of the larger clubs before going out and Ashtown Villa beating Dundalk and Derry before going out. The euro teams will most likely have the strongest panels and therfore can rotate players to deal with any opposition put in front of them.

4. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    The major problem for the non-league sides is that they effectively meet LoI clubs during their pre-season, so if that stage was even held in May, it would greatly increase the possibility of upsets, perhaps combined with the European approach of always awarding the lowest-ranked side home advantage in ties.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I personally think it needs more junior clubs and less intermediate clubs. The balance there is completely skewed.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

7. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I personally think it needs more junior clubs and less intermediate clubs. The balance there is completely skewed.
    Yeah in many places there is no intermediate football so clubs there have a far, far harder path to getting in. There is much to be done sorting out the football pyramid!

I just hope we never ever have to go back to Kilbarrack. Lovely club, great people involved, but I never ever want to go back near that craphole.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Definitely considering the demise of the USL. The likes of Letterkenny and Fanad would beat a lot of those intermediate teams

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Yeah in many places there is no intermediate football so clubs there have a far, far harder path to getting in. There is much to be done sorting out the football pyramid!

I just hope we never ever have to go back to Kilbarrack. Lovely club, great people involved, but I never ever want to go back near that craphole.
    The only place I've been in watching football that I was worried for my safety....I've been to the Den away twice with Southampton, Serbia away with Ireland but that area and the people around it was crawling with absolute scumbags. I worked in the North Inner City for 14 years before I'm accused of being soft!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yurt View Post
    I end up saying it every year but think it's a nonsense how many bad ties get played in this competition. We see some average teams reach the final 4 or 8 by avoiding LOI sides.
    I'm not sure how you avoid that tbh. The reality is there's few enough good teams in Ireland. The gap between Premier and Div 1 is quite big, and there's a definite gap between Div 1 and non-league too. There were three all-Premier ties in the first round last year - but that's the fun of the Cup. It cleared the way for a minnow like Galway to reach the last 8 beating Bangor Celtic and UCD. But so what?

The Euro sides can easily cope with one more game in their season. The magic of the Cup is more than just ensuring two big teams make the final.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    The major problem for the non-league sides is that they effectively meet LoI clubs during their pre-season, so if that stage was even held in May, it would greatly increase the possibility of upsets, perhaps combined with the European approach of always awarding the lowest-ranked side home advantage in ties.
    and the solution is for Junior and Intermediate sides to align their season with the Senior level in the country...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Is there only one Ulster club on that list (Cockhill)?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Yes, 10 out of the 20 from Munster, 9 from Leinster (including seven Dublin clubs) and Cockhill.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Yes, 10 out of the 20 from Munster, 9 from Leinster (including seven Dublin clubs) and Cockhill.
    I know a large part of it is qualification on merit, but that seems very unbalanced. How come no Connacht clubs either? What's happened to Mervue, Salthill etc?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I know a large part of it is qualification on merit, but that seems very unbalanced. How come no Connacht clubs either? What's happened to Mervue, Salthill etc?
    It's the last 4 teams of the FAI Junior Cup and the last 16 teams of the FAI Intermediate Cup.

They didn't reach the semi final of the junior.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,523 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    It's the last 4 teams of the FAI Junior Cup and the last 16 teams of the FAI Intermediate Cup.

They didn't reach the semi final of the junior.
    Intermediate football only exists in Leinster at scale, the Munster SL is all Cork if I recall correctly, so for the most part clubs have only access to junior football (unless they want to jump to senior) and have to make the final 4 to get in FAI cup. It's a bit mad.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp