Results 7,141 to 7,160 of 8039

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelwest View Post
    It's a pity the Connaught was a concrete pour as it'll all just go back to mush to be recycled into another pour elsewhere. It'd be great to see if they could ensure the stuff removed could get recycled back into the pour or construction of the redeveloped stand, probably a logistical non runner though. If it was bricks and mortar they could sell it off as memorabilia or put some of it back in to keep the history of the place going.
    Are you sure that old concrete gets liquidised and re-used that way ? That's news to me. Surely it'll be re-bar, with reinforced metal bars throughout the inside ? And then there's the issue with dealing with contaminants from such an old and weathered structure.

My understanding is that concrete just got crushed into small bits and then used as aggegate (i.e. concrete stones for filling things).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Are you sure that old concrete gets liquidised and re-used that way ? That's news to me. Surely it'll be re-bar, with reinforced metal bars throughout the inside ? And then there's the issue with dealing with contaminants from such an old and weathered structure.

My understanding is that concrete just got crushed into small bits and then used as aggegate (i.e. concrete stones for filling things).
    The crushers have magnets to remove any metal in the concrete. It will be crushed most likely into an aggregate some of which may be put back into concrete the rest will be used as a fill type aggregate. They will be bits of Dalymount all over Dublin. If they get the finger out some could be use in Tallaght stadium meaning Bohs will be a thorn in their side forever.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    The crushers have magnets to remove any metal in the concrete. It will be crushed most likely into an aggregate some of which may be put back into concrete the rest will be used as a fill type aggregate. They will be bits of Dalymount all over Dublin. If they get the finger out some could be use in Tallaght stadium meaning Bohs will be a thorn in their side forever.
    Or Bohs would be beneath them always ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    When the 1st artificial surface was being laid in Oriel a Linfield fan in the employment of the installation company bleated ad nauseum how he'd put a Linfield shirt under the penalty spot at the town end goal. He gave over about it when it was said that all it means is that lots of people will just be walking all over his clubs shirt. Not quite the same thing but if filling from Dalymount was ever actually used in Tallaght it would just have a bunch of Rovers asses sitting on it.

Has the Connaught St stand been in Dalymount for basically forever? There are likely to be long term die hard Ireland fans that would take a piece, similar to when Hill 16 was being redone and even the North and South Terraces of Landsdowne. Wouldnt be a money thing but could be a PR job to offer the opportunity. Id presume that there would be very little need for any aggregate, repurposed or not, for the modular prefab steel base construction methods that would be used. Probably only good for land reclamation or coastal flood defences.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    When the 1st artificial surface was being laid in Oriel a Linfield fan in the employment of the installation company bleated ad nauseum how he'd put a Linfield shirt under the penalty spot at the town end goal. He gave over about it when it was said that all it means is that lots of people will just be walking all over his clubs shirt. Not quite the same thing but if filling from Dalymount was ever actually used in Tallaght it would just have a bunch of Rovers asses sitting on it.

Has the Connaught St stand been in Dalymount for basically forever? There are likely to be long term die hard Ireland fans that would take a piece, similar to when Hill 16 was being redone and even the North and South Terraces of Landsdowne. Wouldnt be a money thing but could be a PR job to offer the opportunity. Id presume that there would be very little need for any aggregate, repurposed or not, for the modular prefab steel base construction methods that would be used. Probably only good for land reclamation or coastal flood defences.
    I suspect most Ireland fans have long broken any emotional connect with Dalymount. I could be wrong, but games have been at Lasndowne for so long now that many wouldn't remember the era before that last century, or care all that much I reckon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Or Bohs would be beneath them always ?
    Sounds like a premise Stephen King would run with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I suspect most Ireland fans have long broken any emotional connect with Dalymount. I could be wrong, but games have been at Lasndowne for so long now that many wouldn't remember the era before that last century, or care all that much I reckon.
    You are probably right though even as a kid I remember clearly Liam Brady scoring in Dalymount against Brazil. Also the securing of a 1st league and cup double in my time 1988 by Dundalk.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    You are probably right though even as a kid I remember clearly Liam Brady scoring in Dalymount against Brazil. Also the securing of a 1st league and cup double in my time 1988 by Dundalk.
    When was that Nesta? I know Brady scored when we beat them in that 1987 friendly but that game was in Lansdowne. Was there another I'm not remembering?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Hmm, you are correct and right SLK, I obviously wasnt clear in memory and always thought that game was in Dalymount. I may be mixing up games though in meagre defence I was 8 at the time. My first time in Dalymount was the 88 cup final - if someone now tells me that was in Landsdowne Road too Im off to see a doctor in the morning!

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    No fault Nesta, us early 40-somethings have to be excused these only occasional lapses. I remember a friendly against France in Dalymounts in the late 80s. It made an appearance on my Road to Italy VHS tape and made some sort of strange impression.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but it seems the ROI played their first international at Lansdowne in 1971 (vs Italy, ECQ), but continued to play some internationals at Dalymount thereafter, alternating between the two until the last at DP in 1989, a friendly v Morocco. (Also a couple at Tolka and one at the RDS!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matche..._football_team

Why this flitting between the two? Capacity? Finances? Availability? UEFA Competition Regulations?

Meanwhile, my one trip to Dalymount was in August 1978, a psf with Bohs v Spurs:

I (think I) remember it for a few reasons:
    1. Spurs had just made two impossibly exotic signings in Ardiles and Villa, fresh from their World Cup triumph, and this was their first appearance in a Spurs shirt;
    2. After the game, we somehow managed to get inside the main stand, in the corridor by the dressing rooms, and saw close-up the whole Spurs team squeezing by us etc. Ricky Villa is still the swarthiest footballer I've ever seen!
    3. I have to say, I wasn't hugely impressed by Dalymount as an international stadium; never mind Wembley or Hampden, I still reckoned Windsor was better back then (also Ninian Park?);
    4. Before the kick-off, the Announcer said there would be a minute's silence for Pope Paul VI, who had not long died. But after about 20 seconds, some wag on the terrace behind the goal broke the silence by shouting "58, 59, 60!", with the ensuing guffawing forcing the ref just to blow his whistle and get on with the game.

Funny thing is, I can't remember a damned thing about the match itself - i think Spurs won 4-0?
    [https://yourfootballprogramme.co.uk/...-1000x1474.jpg

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sadloserkid View Post
    No fault Nesta, us early 40-somethings have to be excused these only occasional lapses. I remember a friendly against France in Dalymounts in the late 80s. It made an appearance on my Road to Italy VHS tape and made some sort of strange impression.
    Andy Townsend's debut; a 0-0 draw. I remember making an Irish flag for it and crayon-colouring it green-white-orange on one side and orange-white-green on the other, not knowing that the colours were always read from the hoist.

Couldn't tell you anything about the game other than that. Memory is a weird thing!

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Sorry if this is the wrong thread, but it seems the ROI played their first international at Lansdowne in 1971 (vs Italy, ECQ), but continued to play some internationals at Dalymount thereafter, alternating between the two until the last at DP in 1989, a friendly v Morocco. (Also a couple at Tolka and one at the RDS!):
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matche..._football_team

Why this flitting between the two? Capacity? Finances? Availability? UEFA Competition Regulations?

Meanwhile, my one trip to Dalymount was in August 1978, a psf with Bohs v Spurs:

I (think I) remember it for a few reasons:
    1. Spurs had just made two impossibly exotic signings in Ardiles and Villa, fresh from their World Cup triumph, and this was their first appearance in a Spurs shirt;
    2. After the game, we somehow managed to get inside the main stand, in the corridor by the dressing rooms, and saw close-up the whole Spurs team squeezing by us etc. Ricky Villa is still the swarthiest footballer I've ever seen!
    3. I have to say, I wasn't hugely impressed by Dalymount as an international stadium; never mind Wembley or Hampden, I still reckoned Windsor was better back then (also Ninian Park?);
    4. Before the kick-off, the Announcer said there would be a minute's silence for Pope Paul VI, who had not long died. But after about 20 seconds, some wag on the terrace behind the goal broke the silence by shouting "58, 59, 60!", with the ensuing guffawing forcing the ref just to blow his whistle and get on with the game.

Funny thing is, I can't remember a damned thing about the match itself - i think Spurs won 4-0?
    [https://yourfootballprogramme.co.uk/...-1000x1474.jpg
    Thats a good question!! In later years Jack would have liked a pitch that was torn up by rugby in the days before, half joking he may have opted for the ground with the worst pitch. Beating Spain in Lansdowne 1989 is a famous result that Ireland's best defender has often been given to the pitch but by those days standards it wasnt awful! It was in April so wouldnt have been dug up by the rugby lads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Andy Townsend's debut; a 0-0 draw. I remember making an Irish flag for it and crayon-colouring it green-white-orange on one side and orange-white-green on the other, not knowing that the colours were always read from the hoist.

Couldn't tell you anything about the game other than that. Memory is a weird thing!
    Mad that you mention that as I did the same thing I think for the Barry Kehoe testimonial at Oriel Park and thinking good job it wasnt a Welsh flag or something a bit more complex - at least I think I was past using crayons by the time of the Irish training session in Oriel before the WC '94 qualifier in Windsor....

(there was the u21 games mid 80s as possibilities)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    637 Posts
    Hmm, you are correct and right SLK, I obviously wasnt clear in memory and always thought that game was in Dalymount. I may be mixing up games though in meagre defence I was 8 at the time. My first time in Dalymount was the 88 cup final - if someone now tells me that was in Landsdowne Road too Im off to see a doctor in the morning!

An ireland 11 played Nottingham Forest in 1980 in Dalymount, i was at that match.
    I could be wrong but i think Jennings and George Best played, maybe thats what you are remembering

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Thats one I really dont recall even seeing footage of tbh (I doubt i'd have been allowed head off to the game myself back then). So Shamrock Rovers All-Island XI v Brazil was 1973 and reasonably regularly crops up on TV, The Brady daisy cutter goal from RoI v Brazil also gets replayed occasionally. Both in Lansdowne I now know. I think from the clip of the goal it just resembled shooting in to the Shopping Centre end in Dalymount but I should have copped the 'new' stand in Lansdowne Rd in the background at some point since. I know one of Trappatoni's early games was v Forest. Would have been good to see the 1980 vintage Forest side as European Champions or on the way to winning it!

This is the image of the Brady goal v Brazil that I had in my head and wrogly thought it was Dalymount.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    I think Boh's should just copy Finn Harps idea for covered terracing (1500) behind both away goals and a similar type Jodi Stand (3000) on the opposite Connaught Road side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D24Saint View Post
    Those are a lot of words without a whole lot of substance. Starts off okay, and then just tails off into a bit of lazy nonsense.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    I think Boh's should just copy Finn Harps idea for covered terracing (1500) behind both away goals and a similar type Jodi Stand (3000) on the opposite Connaught Road side.
    The current plan is almost exactly that, but the terraces at the ends will be lopsided because of the shape of the site. The current big terrace is owned by the shopping centre and not part of the site.