Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 316 of 402 FirstFirst ... 216266306314315316317318326366 ... LastLast
Results 6,301 to 6,320 of 8039

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    To be really technical about it Dundalk own buildings, fixtures and fittings on land owned by the Casey Trust on long term lease to the club (80+ years left?). Hence how Gerry was able to threaten to demolish buildings (some might claim that wouldnt have been a bad thing) if he didnt get his pound of flesh and the Casey's couldnt have stopped him. As for the lease being practically held to ransom, well it got sorted but was an unfortunate end to the saga of a former owner that contributed a lot to the club - hopefully history will be a bit tad kinder on his tenure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    To be really technical about it Dundalk own buildings, fixtures and fittings on land owned by the Casey Trust on long term lease to the club (80+ years left?). Hence how Gerry was able to threaten to demolish buildings (some might claim that wouldnt have been a bad thing) if he didnt get his pound of flesh and the Casey's couldnt have stopped him. As for the lease being practically held to ransom, well it got sorted but was an unfortunate end to the saga of a former owner that contributed a lot to the club - hopefully history will be a bit tad kinder on his tenure.
    Well, yeah. 72 years left on it. Hopefully PEAK6 actually do knock down some things!

I don't think history will be kind to Matthews at all, even though he put a lot into the club. The way it ended, over the last couple of seasons, and some of the other things, will taint it. Hiring Sean Connor (especially after the treatment of Gill) was the start of it really, that 2009 season left us in a hole.

Still shouldn't be forgotten what he did. On the football side got us back into the PD (and by a large stroke of luck Europe), and a cup final which at the time was huge for us.

Probably isn't given enough credit for the facilities side of it. Built the Shed, toilets and extra dressing rooms in the ground, seats in the ground, put a new roof on the stand, built the club shop and offices, the sponsors lounge, the YDC (ok you can talk about the rates etc but it's now a very valuable asset to the club), put in the entrance and roadway around the ground and the underground carpark obviously.

I don't think there's been a tap done since he left (bar the toilets on the Carrick Road end) and the Enda McGuill Suite (which was ok as it was I thought) in the past year.

But yeah, all the other stuff that went with it and the way it ended will be in people's memory most I suppose.

Happens with a lot of owners, although not the Fastfix lads who funnily enough walked away with a very handsome reward at the end of their tenure. Fair play to them, it's been some run, but very rarely it works out that way for owners.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    I shall be a sprightly 111 years old before having to worry about the club ending up without a home. Time flies by as tbh I thought there was a bit longer on the lease. On Sean Connor, at that time, on paper, it wasnt the worst appointment. Bohs fans would differ but Sligo fans would probably have a more positive slant. I'd aso say that he was appointed more by the board than the owner who was a self professed non football man so deferred a lot of the football side of things to others. But then Trevor Anderson was initially considered as a good appointment too. Hindsight is a wonderful thing! I'd hate to think how much worse Oriel would be if it wasnt for Gerry Matthews so why I think in due course people will be more forgiving of his stubborn messing circa 2011/12. The public meeting where he demanded to know the identities of contributors to Oriel Web was, for me, the strangest moment of that ownership and there are no shortage of strange moments that era.

Peak6's policy on development spectator facilities is justified by the above examples. Fastfix lads focused on the team and are legends but never touched the ground. Matthews did stuff in the ground and while it was a complex situation he is vilified. If I was a new owner I know what route Id be inclined to follow initially anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    We would not have a positive slant on Sean Connor and would have warned Bohs and Dundalk fans what they were getting themselves into at the time

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    We would not have a positive slant on Sean Connor and would have warned Bohs and Dundalk fans what they were getting themselves into at the time
    I dont get it Nah Nah Nah Nah he got ye promoted in 05. What was it about SC that you dont like about? I have heard the stories the last few mths bout him but was he always like that?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Yes he was and he reads LOI forums!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I dont get it Nah Nah Nah Nah he got ye promoted in 05. What was it about SC that you dont like about? I have heard the stories the last few mths bout him but was he always like that?
    Our budget was way bigger then anyone else in that division that year

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Sean Connor has an amazing ability to rub people up the wrong way, but the reality of it was he achieved a lot at Sligo Rovers in his short time there. He won the First Division title in 2005 and then guided the club to fifth place in the Premier Division in 2006 along with reaching the FAI Cup semi-finals. According to Sean Connor he took Sligo to their "highest league position for eight years or more"

His resignation near the end of 2006 season seemed to trigger more resentment then celebration in Sligo

13. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Does anyone have any recent pics of the inside of the YDC, couldn't find any online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Some of the other Dundalk lads on here might, but I believe DFC might be looking at publishing new photos of the inside of it later this year. By all accounts it seems to have been an excellent investment with new dressing rooms, new players canteen, upgrades to the gym, video - mini cinema - media room / recovery room / car paking along with the indoor pitches etc.

Waiting for The Lilywhites response.........................
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    69 Posts
    On the point of Sean Connor, we knew exactly what we were getting ourselves into at the time, particularly on the back of his time at Bohs.

Although we qualified for Europe under him (because of Cork's and Derry's issues) we required a 100k loan that year after all the on-field and off-field antics (all too long and boring to list tbh - the board falling for his promise of a Barcelona friendly is worth mentioning though).

It was a circus, from the very first game against Bohs until the very end. The one blessing was that Connor was only given a one year contract, otherwise God knows where we would have ended up.

Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Some of the other Dundalk lads on here might, but I believe DFC might be looking at publishing new photos of the inside of it later this year. By all accounts it seems to have been an excellent investment with new dressing rooms, new players canteen, upgrades to the gym, video - mini cinema - media room / recovery room / car paking along with the indoor pitches etc.

Waiting for The Lilywhites response.........................
    I'd love to see pictures of it too, to see exactly where the "750k" went. The dressing rooms are meant to be particularly impressive. I'd be interested to see what has happened to the upstairs area where the bar was - the Fastfix lads were meant to have done some work to the bar area there (to the point where it was almost ready to open) but never saw that so don't know if that was the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    While tapping the wallet against Bohs that first game back lacked class, we had a decent side really. Maybe a circus act but not so sure that we knew what to expect in advance. Bar an N'Do master class we'd have won that game well. Again Sligo lads would be better positioned to comment. If the basis of a SC circus is on the budget then Terry Eviston, Martin Murray, Jim Gannon, T****r A******N even, it was Moffetts in Oriel long before Seanie! Could possibly throw Fossie in there too.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Dundalk got about 6 red cards against Bohs that season too. Absolute hatchet jobs. Filthiest LOI team I've ever seen under SC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Sean Connor has an amazing ability to rub people up the wrong way, but the reality of it was he achieved a lot at Sligo Rovers in his short time there. He won the First Division title in 2005 and then guided the club to fifth place in the Premier Division in 2006 along with reaching the FAI Cup semi-finals. According to Sean Connor he took Sligo to their "highest league position for eight years or more"

His resignation near the end of 2006 season seemed to trigger more resentment then celebration in Sligo
    He wasn’t popular long before he resigned and the resentment was around the fact that everyone knew he had been talking to Bohs before he resigned and was tapping up players to go with him. I have seen nothing from him since to disprove the thoughts around him.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    He wasn’t popular long before he resigned and the resentment was around the fact that everyone knew he had been talking to Bohs before he resigned and was tapping up players to go with him. I have seen nothing from him since to disprove the thoughts around him.
    Yeah that brings back memories for me all of a sudden. Harpal Singh one of yer better plyr followed him to Bohs and then did a disappearing act!Who else from Sligo followed SC ?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    270 Posts
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/oth...vour-1.4295774

Good piece in the times about the morton stadium , I never took to it as a football ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Yeah that brings back memories for me all of a sudden. Harpal Singh one of yer better plyr followed him to Bohs and then did a disappearing act!Who else from Sligo followed SC ?
    Liam Burns and Darren Mansaram as well anyway. Can’t remember if there was more

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Liam Burns and Darren Mansaram as well anyway. Can’t remember if there was more
    Chris Turner signed in the mid season transfer window

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Chris Turner signed in the mid season transfer window
    Ah Tina, he was a decent player for Rovers, played in the Euro team, mad cúnt though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vinnie View Post
    Ah Tina, he was a decent player for Rovers, played in the Euro team, mad cúnt though
    Controversial signing with many questions about the probity of the player and both Rovers clubs at the time!