Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 376 of 402 FirstFirst ... 276326366374375376377378386 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,520 of 8039

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    its a token gesture wouldnt read much into it at all. 500k wont get you much , especially in NY.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    It'd do a lot for some Irish clubs, in several sports. The New York GAA has plenty of money.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    136 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    It'd do a lot for some Irish clubs, in several sports. The New York GAA has plenty of money.
    the money was ringfenced to be spent on the governments emigrant support programme. the outrage is misplaced. at least it was spent on sport...

Through the ESP, the Government provides financial support to organisations engaged in the delivery of front line advisory services and community care to Irish emigrants, particularly to the more vulnerable and marginalised members of our community abroad, including the elderly. In addition, the ESP also facilitates Irish Government investment in a range of cultural, community and heritage projects, which foster a vibrant sense of Irish community and identity, as well as strategic capital projects.

5. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I'm not outraged personally, I'm maybe one level above "don't care" on the scale. Fair enough if it had to be spent abroad but I still think there will have been other cities or countries that need the money more than NY GAA. They have plenty of money to be paying intercounty players to come over every summer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    187 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    its a token gesture wouldnt read much into it at all. 500k wont get you much , especially in NY.
    That makes it all the more baffling. 500k could do an awful lot relatively speaking for a ground like Mounthawk Park for example. Even if it’s a GAA only thing, there’s more than plenty of GAA grounds in this country that could do with a 500k (at least!) upgrade
    Paaatrick's Agletic

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Would you need a larger brown envelope for 500k or would it be easier as a cheque in a standard brown size envelope!

Just wondering!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    I'm not outraged personally, I'm maybe one level above "don't care" on the scale. Fair enough if it had to be spent abroad but I still think there will have been other cities or countries that need the money more than NY GAA. They have plenty of money to be paying intercounty players to come over every summer.
    They could always spend it in Derry....

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Things may not be great on the pitch atm but LTFC deserve huge credit for Bishopsgate.

https://twitter.com/betweenstripes/s...95646723313664
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

11. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Things may not be great on the pitch atm but LTFC deserve huge credit for Bishopsgate.

https://twitter.com/betweenstripes/s...95646723313664
    A great ground. With a bit more roof it would be the best in the FD. Though the arial shots really show how much the ground is in the middle of nowhere.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    A great ground. With a bit more roof it would be the best in the FD. Though the arial shots really show how much the ground is in the middle of nowhere.
    Yeah it's a real shame it's not a few k closer to the town because it's a great facility. I'd say Longford would get a few more in the gate if that was the case too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    The flip side to that though is look at the scope for developing the facility. That's a brand new astro gone in there and those back pitches ard only a few years old, plus the club use the huge car park for car boot sales on bank holidays which are massive money spinners for the club. You see grounds like Oriel and Drogheda that are in the middle of towns and the footfall is obviously much higher but there's little to no scope to develop them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Longford isn't far off having a properly great ground. Has always felt unfinished to me though. Roof would be great around the rest of the ground, but it's not the end of the world to have an open ground.

Lack of toilet or shop facilities on the other side of the ground, a small tin hut for media gantry, no other access/exit points, unfinished carpark surface, lot of bare blockwork with no plaster or paint.

I know it's small things, but these things being upgraded would immediately make it one of the best grounds in the league, for me.

As said though, there's huge scope for development there and the facilities they do have is a credit to them. Many other clubs could only dream of what they have built.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Longford isn't far off having a properly great ground. Has always felt unfinished to me though. Roof would be great around the rest of the ground, but it's not the end of the world to have an open ground.

Lack of toilet or shop facilities on the other side of the ground, a small tin hut for media gantry, no other access/exit points, unfinished carpark surface, lot of bare blockwork with no plaster or paint.

I know it's small things, but these things being upgraded would immediately make it one of the best grounds in the league, for me.

As said though, there's huge scope for development there and the facilities they do have is a credit to them. Many other clubs could only dream of what they have built.
    Yeah its a nice little ground with a lot of potential. Agree on all your points but would also add.

Need of a hot food facility there, especially for a ground more or less in the middle of nowhere. Been there 5 or 6 times I think once there was a chip van, rest of time just seem to be little tuck shop then soup & sandwiches under main stand

A lot of the seats have been exposed to Irish weather for far too long and are rotting away. Granted it been a few years since I was last there so maybe things have changed, but I think removing the seats behind each goal and just doing terracing. Then a roof over ( even just the middle sections of) the Section O side and again terrace the rest of it
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    The flip side to that though is look at the scope for developing the facility. That's a brand new astro gone in there and those back pitches ard only a few years old, plus the club use the huge car park for car boot sales on bank holidays which are massive money spinners for the club. You see grounds like Oriel and Drogheda that are in the middle of towns and the footfall is obviously much higher but there's little to no scope to develop them
    All those things you mention are great in their own way and bring money into the club and it would be fine if you were talking about a Junior GAA club but soccer is much more of an urban sport

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Do more people head out to Bishopsgate (or whatever it;s called these days) for a car boot sale than for a football match ?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    The stadium is a credit to those involved over the years who got it built with very little in the way of government funding of any kind. It's come a long way in terms of additional pitches and facilities for the academy teams. Agree that it could still do with a few little finishing touches but maybe it can be done in time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Do more people head out to Bishopsgate (or whatever it;s called these days) for a car boot sale than for a football match ?
    People come from all over Ireland to sell at them. Cars start arriving from before 6am and car park does litreally be full to the brim. It's a huge fundraiser for club.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    What is the capacity at Longford, and do they often fill it, either recently or in the past?

For while it is quite impressive in a lot of ways, I really cannot understand why they would have/need so much uncovered seating. I get that it's a summer season and the weather is more benign than more Northerly parts etc. And lack of cover is ok for terracing, I suppose, since standing in the rain/cold isn't too bad. But sitting in the cold and rain?

So that unless they're selling out regularly and need the maximum capacity, would it not have been wiser to spend what money they have on putting a roof on a smaller portion of the terracing upon which they've bolted those seats and just leave the rest of the terracing as it is? I can't help thinking it's a LOI thing, since you don't really see these large expanses of uncovered seating in comparable level grounds in NI/Wales/England/Scotland.

P.S. Not having a pop by any means, merely curious in a stadium-nerd kinda way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    It's got a UEFA license so can host underage internationals and could host some sort of European games as well.

24. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    It started in a bit of a romantically shambolic way in that Stephen Kenny and the club at the time were determined to play our first ever European game in Longford. To do that they needed way more seats. Which were kind of thrown up around the ground. Then when we qualified again a few years later, again we wanted to play at home but we had to put in proper concrete. It probably would have made more sense long term to have terraces at either end and an at least partially roofed smaller stand opposite the main stand. We've hardly ever sold out but we did have some memorable nights over the years. Winning the League Cup at home in 2004 was a good one.