Results 6,181 to 6,200 of 8039

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I'm not so sure I totally agree with SK on this. Tallaght with a 4th stand will be what 12k capacity (could the corners also be used to increase capacity further if there is ever a need? albeit it would likely be pricey for the relative additional capacity?). To have a range of capacities is useful from an international team perspective especially across the different ages and womans teams. There is nothing wrong with showing and having ambition and maybe the Dalymount project should be around 8-10k. What should be done is for the development to be planned in such a way that option for future increased capacity is factored in without need for demolishing anything again. Just need Pats to build a 20k stadium and all bases are covered...or build a ground for a provincial town, half way between Dublin and Belfast would be handy in case there is ever a future need with an island league and international team...
    I think the fourth stand will take Tallaght up to 10,000.

The design of Dalymount looks like it won't make it easy to expand in the future. From memory, its main stands will have sloping roofs - which isn't ideal for bolting onto above.

A 6,000 capacity for Dalymount feels too low, and a bit short-sighted. Especially if the league finally gets a bit of promotion and/or an AIL starts. It could become too small very quickly.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I think the fourth stand will take Tallaght up to 10,000.

The design of Dalymount looks like it won't make it easy to expand in the future. From memory, its main stands will have sloping roofs - which isn't ideal for bolting onto above.

A 6,000 capacity for Dalymount feels too low, and a bit short-sighted. Especially if the league finally gets a bit of promotion and/or an AIL starts. It could become too small very quickly.
    Sure it could be sold again and then build a bigger ground in somewhere like Swords, Fingal CoCo might get interested again with looking how Tallaght has done for SDCC...Sporting Bohemian FC, Shels can keep Dalymount. I jest of course but this is LoI!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    I'm probably in the minority in that I think 6k is ok. A couple of sell outs a year isn't a bad thing. As in 1 or 2 sellouts a year, not 10 like this year. Under 4,000 is definitely too small. If (a big if) Bohs ever were to qualify for European group stages I'd have thought a new 6k facility would have a good chance of getting an exemption. Like Tallaght did for Dundalk and Rovers Europa League campaigns. That said, I can see the argument for an 8k stadium. Considering segregation of fans knocks a couple of hundred off capacity. 10k would be too big and could impact crowds negatively. I think good, appropriately sized stadiums should be the aim of all clubs.

10k or above is too big IMO. In the 10k Dalymount proposal, the two main stands hold 4,500. I can see that feeling and looking empty far too often. The 8k proposal had main stands at 3,500 and the 6k at 2,500.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Surely there's a way to build an 8k stadium without the OTT main stand sizes - which I agree would be very empty too often. Two main stands of 3k, two behind the goals of 1k would be perfect. UEFA Category 4 should be the priority, unforgivable to build a stadium in the city from scratch that can't be used for European group stage games.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Think it's to do with lack of space behind the goals with the new pitch orientation

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Yeah in all iterations of the plan there have only been 500 seats behind each goal. So it must be an impossibility to fit more in with the new orientation.

I know the club have mentioned that they'd like safe standing areas included. I wonder where that would be. Ideally (this goes for all clubs/grounds) you want to have the bulk of your fanbase facing the camera.

BTW if anybody's interested there's loads of small to medium sized stadiums being built in Hungary at the moment. Probably a scandalous amount of money being spent. But some of them are very interesting.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    If Shams were able to sell out Tallaght's 8,000 on a regular basis for the Bohs games then there might be a case for Dalymount planners to consider a bigger capacity or if there was going to be regular U21 International & other sports at the venue!

I think the progress behind the scene at Bohs with their improved attendances is encouraging, but would a new 10,000 Dalymount really get anymore through the turnstiles!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nr637 View Post
    If Shams were able to sell out Tallaght's 8,000 on a regular basis for the Bohs games then there might be a case for Dalymount planners to consider a bigger capacity or if there was going to be regular U21 International & other sports at the venue!

I think the progress behind the scene at Bohs with their improved attendances is encouraging, but would a new 10,000 Dalymount really get anymore through the turnstiles!
    No, I just see it feeling empty most of the time. That would affect the match day experience and make it feel like there must be somewhere better to be. I know Dalymount currently has empty, condemned stands. But a big bright shiny empty stand is a different thing and harder to fade into the background.

My inklings is that 10,000 is too big for Tallaght too and that closer to 8,000 should have been spread out over the four stands. But a Rovers fan may feel otherwise and there is a case to be made for it. It's becoming a bit of a 2nd home for the FAI, Tallaght feels like a good fit for U-21 and women's internationals. I don't really see the justification for a 2nd 10,000 seater soccer stadium in Dublin unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    I am pretty sure the biggest part of the reason for not going to 8k was because of the additional cost the project would incur as a result of it being a Cat 4 UEFA stadium. These requirements would have required additional space inside and outside the stadium that just isnt available (e.g. 150 VIP parking spots, 100 VIP seats - see link below) and/or additional land/euros that just wasn't on. I am very disappointed that we will be limited to a 6k stadium but it is the price to pay for wanting to stay in Phibsboro. And we have to remember how lucky we are to even be having these types of conversations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    There was supposed to be an 8,000 sell out last night at Tallaght for the Ireland Women's game, but it looked empty even though it was announced over 5,300+ were there! Just imagine a 10,000 seater, it would have felt more eerie!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Well in theory you could still build an 8k stadium, without upgrading it to Cat 4. But then that would probably draw a lot of criticism.

I wonder what level it has to be at to stand a good chance of being granted an exemption should the need arise. Like Tallaght has previously. Or if Tallaght is Cat 4 and relatively nearby would you just be told to play there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    If any more needs to be said on the piecemeal bare minimum nature of Louth CoCo's mathods on sporting infrastructure well here is an example - a grass track (that one day may be an artificial track) that wouldnt be up to even regional never mind national or international standards. This now nicely balances the refurb (or another half effort) at the Lourdes Stadium in Drogheda that couldnt host anything bar local events either.
    https://www.talkofthetown.ie/work-on...er-this-month/

Had a chat today about plans that were in the works for a Louth Stadium driven by the then head of DkIT. Apparently this project made it beyond a mere pipedream and had secured central government funding. It involved DkIT, Dundalk FC, Dundalk RFC, Drogheda United and possibly Boyne RFC and hopefully the GAA. While it would have been preferred to have it on campus it was recognised that this wasnt going to work for Drogheda based clubs so a site off the M1 circa Dunleer was identified. All NGBs and the Dept of Sport were on board and with ancilliary facilities for sports science, media, parking basically all that would have meant the good possibility of a Cat 3 and with additional time and funding a Cat 4 stadium. Buuuuttt Louth GAA refused to share any facility and with Peter Fitzpatrick (ex Louth GAA manager) and Seamus Kirk (driving force behind the pointless €2m+ Louth GAA 'centre of excellence) in the Dail they lobbied against the above project. Tbh I thought it was just a tester at the time, I certainly didnt realise that it had gotten funding and was as far as preplanning. Now maybe people will be glad that football isnt being played on a GAA pitch but also apparently this was to be factored in to design with seating that could roll out to football size and retracted for GAA....now with that same lobby a single use sports ground is being built in Dundalk. When Oriel and United Parks also eventually recieve SPGs over the years for improvements/new builds there will be duplication of the facilities that LSPs were set up to try and prevent with the single use facility of the County Ground! All the allocation of funding needs to be taken totally out of the hands of the Dept of Sport and have an independant body oversee allocation and throw out any lobby that wastes tax payers money. It would be interesting what damage this has also done in loss of revenue to the local economy by both LoI clubs having to host games in Dublin for starters. I'm attached to Oriel so it would have been a wrench but the principle of it is infuriating!!!!!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 10/10/2019 at 12:02 AM.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Linking this here because the area being discussed includes Jackman Park, and I have a feeling "Limerick United" will end up playing there if they get into the League of Ireland next year: https://www.rte.ie/news/business/202...ck-masterplan/

All long-term stuff of course, but there has been a good bit of work done in that area of late. The houses on the "away" side of Jackman were done up for example. Lots more to do though.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    http://www.donegalsporthub.com/finn-...-funding-list/

Finn Harps left in limbo once again..

This news has left me gutted.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

That happened to us for over a decade and a half from early 80s with Mullogher Grounds works lying idle for a good couple of years as promised funds didnt go through as promised so identify your pain!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts

Here in Galway €20 million foe Connacht rugby & €2.1 m to a local gaa club doesn’t make sense with harps project already started

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts

It's very frustrating and a real gut punch for fans! There is just something out of kilter with this project. Circumstances changed economically from the plan's inception but subsequently its been hard to wrap the head around including the money allocated for redoing the proposal considering money already allocated and now this lack of follow through by the Dept of Sport. Where is the original developer at in all of this? If the application was all good some money would have been granted if not all. To be left off the list entirely? Unless there is to be an exceptional announcement for full funding outside of this SPG round but that would be communicated to the TD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    It's very frustrating and a real gut punch for fans! There is just something out of kilter with this project. Circumstances changed economically from the plan's inception but subsequently its been hard to wrap the head around including the money allocated for redoing the proposal considering money already allocated and now this lack of follow through by the Dept of Sport. Where is the original developer at in all of this? If the application was all good some money would have been granted if not all. To be left off the list entirely? Unless there is to be an exceptional announcement for full funding outside of this SPG round but that would be communicated to the TD.

It never makes sense to me as a harps fan and there is never a justification provided by anyone involved in the project. The mooted plans last year were actually incredibly disappointing. Some day a history will be written of this and I say it’s a shame on everyone involved from the board to the secret stadium committee to funding everyone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDMRooney View Post
    It never makes sense to me as a harps fan and there is never a justification provided by anyone involved in the project. The mooted plans last year were actually incredibly disappointing. Some day a history will be written of this and I say it’s a shame on everyone involved from the board to the secret stadium committee to funding everyone.
    Which plans were disappointing?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Which plans were disappointing?
    the ones that were for the single stand ? A replication of Athlone ?