Page 221 of 407 FirstFirst ... 121171211219220221222223231271321 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,420 of 8129

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Latest from the Gerry Matthews (previous Dundalk owner) saga is, he is considering demolishing the Youth Dev Centre and salvaging it for scrap as its clear DFC have no interest in it. Still no progress on the lease and he has been alleging abusive phone calls being made to his house!

Without the lease Dundalk cannot proceed with any ground improvements.
    Is there any chance Dundalk might leave Oriel ?
    Start their own project on a greenfield site.
    Invest the proceeds from their success into something for the future.
    This plus any grants available would surely get the club well on its way.

As to receiving abusive phone calls ?
    I'm sure he is but I would doubt it has anything to do with anyone connected to the football club.
    It is no doubt some individuals venting their frustration on the matter dragging on & on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    I think if the current owners of DFC cannot get hold of the lease in the next few years, they might consider moving. Without the lease, only grants below 20k can be applied for I think. They have also made it clear they won't make any upgrades apart from very limited safety items, unless they get hold of the lease.

DKIT has been mentioned, but they will still need over 2 million possibly 3m to put towards it and let's be honest that is very unlikely they can raise that amount.

The first choice would appear to redevelop oriel park, but that's back to the lease issue. It might come to a head that GM will just get so frustrated he will hand it over, (unlikely but not impossible) it's clear the current owners do not see why they have to pay for it, and consider the terms of the buy out when they took over as covering the lease. He also can't sell it on to anyone else as terms of conditions means the ground can only be used for football. DFC are also in a very good relationship with the actual owner Des Casey. The club are in effect sub leasing a lease, which is owned by a 3rd party (GM). The stand off continues.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    I think if the current owners of DFC cannot get hold of the lease in the next few years, they might consider moving. Without the lease, only grants below 20k can be applied for I think. They have also made it clear they won't make any upgrades apart from very limited safety items, unless they get hold of the lease.

DKIT has been mentioned, but they will still need over 2 million possibly 3m to put towards it and let's be honest that is very unlikely they can raise that amount.

The first choice would appear to redevelop oriel park, but that's back to the lease issue. It might come to a head that GM will just get so frustrated he will hand it over, (unlikely but not impossible) it's clear the current owners do not see why they have to pay for it, and consider the terms of the buy out when they took over as covering the lease. He also can't sell it on to anyone else as terms of conditions means the ground can only be used for football. DFC are also in a very good relationship with the actual owner Des Casey. The club are in effect sub leasing a lease, which is owned by a 3rd party (GM). The stand off continues.

Does anyone know how long the lease is that GM has on Oriel ?

When the current owners took over the club what did they take over ?
    If they believe they took over the lease on Oriel as well as the club Dundalk FC then why are they sub leasing anything ?
    It all sounds very complicated.

Is that the same Des Casey who was involved with Drogheda & was a UEFA delegate or on some UEFA committee ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    72 years left or something like that. Des Casey, yes VP of UEFA and pushed Jack Charlton to the Ireland job, I doubt he was ever involved with Drogheda though, you may be thinking of Jim Malone.

The rest is complicated and it is disputed on what was agreed during the takeover by GM in particular.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    It might come to a head that GM will just get so frustrated he will hand it over, (unlikely but not impossible) it's clear the current owners do not see why they have to pay for it, and consider the terms of the buy out when they took over as covering the lease.
    The latter part of that sentence may give an incorrect impression. Hence.....

Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    If they believe they took over the lease on Oriel as well as the club Dundalk FC then why are they sub leasing anything ?
    The current owners have recognised that they have not acquired the lease on Oriel Park (which is why the club cannot access major Capital Sports Grants). The contention is that the terms of the takeover agreement provides a sufficient legal basis to satisfy FAI licencing requirements (that relate to a guarantee of the use of Oriel Park for the relevant season)

This has been accepted by the Independent Club Licencing Committee (I can't type the Independent bit without laughing) for each licencing season since the takeover (2013/2014/2015/2016) - so it is unlikely to be reversed in any future ICLC deliberations.

The issue cannot drag on indefinitely as soon or later, without upgrading the pitch will fail its annual test - there is a major piece of brinkmanship going on here that may end in tears.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    72 years left or something like that. Des Casey, yes VP of UEFA and pushed Jack Charlton to the Ireland job, I doubt he was ever involved with Drogheda though, you may be thinking of Jim Malone.

The rest is complicated and it is disputed on what was agreed during the takeover by GM in particular.
    You mean there's nothing in writing ?
    Des Casey must be pretty old now I think ?
    That's must be the same Casey who said that Cork Celtic be thrown out of the League when they were in financial trouble back in the 70's
    A lovely man I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    The latter part of that sentence may give an incorrect impression. Hence.....

The current owners have recognised that they have not acquired the lease on Oriel Park (which is why the club cannot access major Capital Sports Grants). The contention is that the terms of the takeover agreement provides a sufficient legal basis to satisfy FAI licencing requirements (that relate to a guarantee of the use of Oriel Park for the relevant season)

This has been accepted by the Independent Club Licencing Committee (I can't type the Independent bit without laughing) for each licencing season since the takeover (2013/2014/2015/2016) - so it is unlikely to be reversed in any future ICLC deliberations.

The issue cannot drag on indefinitely as soon or later, without upgrading the pitch will fail its annual test - there is a major piece of brinkmanship going on here that may end in tears.
    Yea I like the independent piece as well
    "major piece of brinkmanship"
    If Dundalk were to say they were leaving at a certain time & go on the lookout for suitable sites it would have the effect of knocking heads together. A community type stadium complex may be the way to go & let Oriel be buried in history along with all the old dinosaurs as well.

It would be a terrible shame if nothing solid was to come out of the present success the club is enjoying on the field of play. I'm sure a lot of us can remember successful clubs down through the ages who when success waned had nothing to show for it except memories.
    Last edited by disgruntled; 17/03/2016 at 4:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Can't see us leaving Oriel unless we are getting a stadium built for us like Tallaght or Dalymount. People keep talking about our recent success and the money we're making but when you take out our running costs you're probably only taking about tens of thousands left over if at all. It would cost millions to build a new stadium and that's before you buy a site! Where's the money coming from?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Can't see us leaving Oriel unless we are getting a stadium built for us like Tallaght or Dalymount. People keep talking about our recent success and the money we're making but when you take out our running costs you're probably only taking about tens of thousands left over if at all. It would cost millions to build a new stadium and that's before you buy a site! Where's the money coming from?
    Quite true. The councils in Dublin seem to have have millions to spend on football grounds. Fair play to them if they have so much money, but that is not the case in Louth.
    Last edited by White Horse; 18/03/2016 at 10:43 AM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

Get Roddy in, I'm sure he can attract some investors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Get Roddy in, I'm sure he can attract some investors.
    Yea he'd attract something all right.
    Not sure what it would be though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post

When the current owners took over the club what did they take over ?
    It all sounds very complicated.

Is that the same Des Casey who was involved with Drogheda & was a UEFA delegate or on some UEFA committee ?
    Well in terms of the take over back in 2012, I think the current owners bought the entity and probably what they understood was that the lease would automatically be included as has been the case in any previous take over with DFC. GM has retained this though, the current owners pay a (nominal) lease to Des Casey (owner) direct, but as the actual lease is physically still held by GM, they are in effect 'sub leasing'. There can be no doubt that GM only went looking for payment for it as he thinks the club is cash rich. On that, it appears they are not as much as people think, wages are not moderate plus waiting long periods for the actual prize money often sees a lot of it spent before it arrives, this would be the same for most clubs.

It is very confusing, but the core issue still remains, regardless of the current arrangement, until the current owners get the lease passed over into their name in terms of owning it, they cannot proceed with any redevelopments.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    It is very confusing, but the core issue still remains, regardless of the current arrangement, until the current owners get the lease passed over into their name in terms of owning it, they cannot proceed with any redevelopments.
    That's the last thing you do. The operator of the club should not hold the lease.

Follow the Sligo Rovers model with the Showgrounds. This was set up when the Showgrounds was purchased in 1968.

Get say 20+ supporters who bleed black and white and form a trust. Put the lease into the trust and set it up so that the lease can never be transferred to any other party with the exception of the owner of OP on surrender. Set it up so that the lease can never be used as security for a loan, be sold, assigned or anything else other than for the exclusive use of the entity that holds the FAI Licence to operate Dundalk FC in the LOI.

Ideally, the members of the trust should all hate each other and then they'll never agree to anything so the lease will just sit, gathering dust in a secure safe or where ever and Dundalk FC will never have to worry about their tenure in OP.

Sligo Rovers got a couple of €100k recently (2014?) to upgrade the astro pitch and grass training pitches in the Showgrounds. So the trust clearly works.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Well in terms of the take over back in 2012, I think the current owners bought the entity and probably what they understood was that the lease would automatically be included as has been the case in any previous take over with DFC. GM has retained this though, the current owners pay a (nominal) lease to Des Casey (owner) direct, but as the actual lease is physically still held by GM, they are in effect 'sub leasing'. There can be no doubt that GM only went looking for payment for it as he thinks the club is cash rich. On that, it appears they are not as much as people think, wages are not moderate plus waiting long periods for the actual prize money often sees a lot of it spent before it arrives, this would be the same for most clubs.

That would have been down to their legal team to make sure everything was included.
    Looks like someone didn't do due diligence & now its come back to bite.
    I thought this matter was due in court for sorting ?
    What seems to be the delay ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Well in terms of the take over back in 2012, I think the current owners bought the entity and probably what they understood was that the lease would automatically be included as has been the case in any previous take over with DFC.
    Oriel - do you really believe that the current owners thought they had acquired the lease and then found that this was not the case?

That would be bizarre and incredibly naive and absolutely could not be the case. The complications surrounding the lease were well known and publicly acknowledged in the protracted discussions leading up to the takeover.

The issues are complicated enough without adding further layers of confusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    No, I was incorrect to suggest that.

I obviously wasn't party to the takeover terms but not ensuring the lease for the pitch was included (forget about the YDC) was a real shame as this was never going to go away. In all previous take overs with DFC the lease was included. This was obviously not the case when GM sold out to the current owners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    New electronic scoreboard used for the first time in Oriel Park last night, I can't post a photo, someone might be able to post it up, it looked well. Over the shed.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    [QUOTE=oriel;1862479]New electronic scoreboard used for the first time in Oriel Park last night, I can't post a photo,
    someone might be able to post it up, it looked well. Over the shed.[/QUOTE

https://mobile.twitter.com/Woodsy_9/...67870021353472

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Looks excellent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    No, I was incorrect to suggest that.

I obviously wasn't party to the takeover terms but not ensuring the lease for the pitch was included (forget about the YDC) was a real shame as this was never going to go away. In all previous take overs with DFC the lease was included. This was obviously not the case when GM sold out to the current owners.
    It beggars belief that this lease issue was not hammered out and resolved at the time of the takeover - it was in the interests of both parties to find a solution at that time.

There can be no doubt that GM only went looking for payment for it as he thinks the club is cash rich.

In simple terms:
    1) GM was always looking for a payment to hand over the YDC.
    2) Des Casey was unwilling to separate the YDC on to another lease, so therefore the keys to the YDC always remained invested in the lease to the ground.
    3) The new owners declined to acquire the lease on the terms GM sought.

The clubs strategy to acquire the lease without a payment to GM is not clear, other then perhaps relying on Des Casey being successful in a legal action to void the original lease

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    [QUOTE=patrickccfc;1862480]
    New electronic scoreboard used for the first time in Oriel Park last night, I can't post a photo,
    someone might be able to post it up, it looked well. Over the shed.[/QUOTE

https://mobile.twitter.com/Woodsy_9/...67870021353472
    Thanks for posting. I bet you had a few good looks at the score Patrick, makes nice reading from your perspective!