Page 328 of 406 FirstFirst ... 228278318326327328329330338378 ... LastLast
Results 6,541 to 6,560 of 8116

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    With so many clubs looking for money from the same pot and given the green-orange nature of doling money out up there, I'd be surprised if Derry got funding for 2 separate stadiums.
    The money was ring-fenced in 2015, long before Stute were flooded out, with a reported £10m to go to DCFC (to match the £10m going to the Glens).

That doesn't figure if, as you say, the two cases are separate. And also if Stute are applying for fundng specifically so they have somewhere else to no longer need to play at the Brandywell (non sequitur).
    My point was that so long as Stute are playing in the Brandywell, that only makes the case for funding more urgent.

As for the bigger picture, when the Sub-Regional money was first promised, Stute were never in the running, at least not for fundingh for a new ground.

Meaning any funding for a new ground will have to come from somewhere else - it's not affected by the S-R money, nor does it affect it.

Nichola Malloon is the Transport Minister, so will have nothing to do with the stadium money. It'll be entirely down to the Sports Minister - who's Sinn Féin.
    Sorry, my mistake - I had thought this was now within her remit, after reading this:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54522088

Either way, SDLP or SF, both will be eager to shove money Derry's way.

I hope Derry get the funding, as it would be an excellent stadium with that side done fully. I just don't have a lot of faith in the way things are done in NI. Especially when you'll have a lot of clubs and people claiming that Derry should get nothing as they 'don't even play in the North'.
    It's fcuk-all to do with "a lot of clubs and people". The Stormont Executive has the money, and they will disburse it.

And with the way things work within the Executive, there is no way one lot (eg East Belfast) is going to get a big wedge of money without the other lot (Derry) getting the same.

As for "they don't even play in the North etc", the fact is, they pay rent/rates/VAT/taxes there, so there is no valid (or even legal?) reason for depriving them of money which has been promised.

In any case, I have a feeling that technically at least, they may still be members of the IFA, just as eg Cardiff City are members of the FAW? DCFC Women certainly play in the NIWL.

So it is not lack of funds, politics or discrimination which is preventing DCFC from getting their due, it is just the usual incompetence and lethargy at Stormont.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Think the boundary for the greyhound track in The Brandywell is probably too close to one end for anything to go in there. It is a curious build, with the curved stand now that the track has gone. It's a nice ground though. The view used to be a problem for away fans but I find it grand now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    I don’t agree that the Brandywell as it stands is fit for Derry’s needs, call me ambitious but the capacity is capped at less than 4000. That is a low ceiling.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    I don’t agree that the Brandywell as it stands is fit for Derry’s needs, call me ambitious but the capacity is capped at less than 4000. That is a low ceiling.
    If the new stand was extended on the wings would you consider it alright then? Guessing that would put it at about 5,500.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Ambition is about the future though, not the here and now. The Brandywell doesn't sell out. Has only done once in recent years for the League Cup, but that could easily have gone to a different venue on the coin toss.

Agree that in the future it could well be too small. But it'll be chasing this funding up against clubs that don't even have a home at all (e.g. Institute, Ards) ones with pretty crappy grounds (e.g. Carrick Rangers) and ones with parts of their ground condemned/closed to the public (e.g. Cliftonville). You'd think that an objective analysis would put cases like those ahead of a recently refurbished ground which currently does the job fine and is never at full capacity.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Bohs and DCU have announced an 18 year partnership to locate Bohs training facilities on DCU campus. Work already completed on fitting out dressing rooms and joint application in with DCU for a capital grant for a third all weather pitch.
    Looks like the Matt Doherty dividend and fees for Danny Grant, Warren O`Hora and some player we off loaded to a South County Dublin side, being put to good use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Clubs having their own training base should be a minimum, going forward. Harps, for example, have been spending huge money each year on training facilities. Finally, this year, we're getting our own training ground, located next to the new stadium. A first step to moving across the other side of the river. Will be a huge saving to the club to get it up and running, with a lot of the initial cost offset by the new car draw being run by the club currently.

You can help support the club and buy some tickets..of course..

https://newyearnewcar.ie/
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Would ye not use the money to finish the stadium instead of starting another project? I can just hear Harps fans in 14 years complaining that ye have been waiting 14 years for the training ground and 28 years for the stadium!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Building a stadium and fitting out a training pitch we have a lease on are two very different scales of funding.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    This is a fantastic URL to have going forward each year something that has endless room for growth, for €20 a ticket could really be pushed across the country. People with no interest in football can be drawn in.

That being said the draw not being to April takes wee bit off it, but great potential to build it into a New Years Eve/Day event people could be bought tickets as xmas gift in a card.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    That was the plan, we planned to advertise widely on Facebook but despite months of process with them never got permission as they flagged it as gambling. Utterly infuriating interactions the whole way through.

It would be no bother if instead of a community football club we were a far right hate group looking to undermine democracy.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    27 Posts
    Ambition is about the future though, not the here and now. The Brandywell doesn't sell out. Has only done once in recent years for the League Cup, but that could easily have gone to a different venue on the coin toss.

Agree that in the future it could well be too small. But it'll be chasing this funding up against clubs that don't even have a home at all (e.g. Institute, Ards) ones with pretty crappy grounds (e.g. Carrick Rangers) and ones with parts of their ground condemned/closed to the public (e.g. Cliftonville). You'd think that an objective analysis would put cases like those ahead of a recently refurbished ground which currently does the job fine and is never at full capacity.
    I watched Carrick Rangers play Glentoran on Friday Night, they're building a small terrace down the main stand side and looks like they've done some developments on the Bridge Side. The Terrace behind the goal is decent enough too. I wouldn't say its Crappy at all, there's worse in the IL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    Would ye not use the money to finish the stadium instead of starting another project? I can just hear Harps fans in 14 years complaining that ye have been waiting 14 years for the training ground and 28 years for the stadium!
    Aside from what Mr A says, the money being used to develop the training ground presumably wouldn't have the builders at the new stadium for more than a couple of hours..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    I just had a look at Google maps. Are ye moving into the place with the blue running track and small astros?
    Whatever about stadiums, it's great to see clubs with big plans in place or in progress; Roadstone, Dundalks YDC, Bohs-SKB-DCU, Cork-FAI new training facility, Galway Utd's Mountain South plans. Anyone have updates on Cork or Galway's progress?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Dundalk seem to have an medium term arrangement with local junior club Quay Celtic (excellent grass pitch) for training for away games, while the grass pitch behind the carrick road goal has its 'seasonal challenges'. DFC used this for prep for most of the EL group games and they have been training most of this week there.

Always good to see junior clubs forge links with senior clubs, and I`m sure DFC will be only too happy to offer them the YDC for winter training / gym work etc.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Clubs having their own training base should be a minimum, going forward. Harps, for example, have been spending huge money each year on training facilities. Finally, this year, we're getting our own training ground, located next to the new stadium. A first step to moving across the other side of the river. Will be a huge saving to the club to get it up and running, with a lot of the initial cost offset by the new car draw being run by the club currently.

You can help support the club and buy some tickets..of course..

https://newyearnewcar.ie/
    By finally this year you mean sometime in 2035 Joking on LoI's altered warping of time on projects aside, thats a great move by Bohs/DCU. I agree that there are some positive moves on youth development/training facilities. While i'm sure many were in the pipline I think such facilities are are even more important post Brexit - a silver lining if there is one in a sea change from the FAI's general shortsighted policy of sending our players to the UK to be developed. It is interesting to read about young Cathal Heffernan going training in Italy, it will be an exciting experience for him - while we should always aim to develop our own players with the potential financial benefit to our own clubs, if they are to go abroad let it be to Italy, Spain et all and not lower ranked English or Scottish club (maybe some some of the bigger clubs too).

On the YDC at Oriel is a good facility for further development in is also a hindrance for any potential development of Oriel Park too with it so close to the pitch. Its a pity it is not further back so that even rotatig the pitch (again) would have been an option that would allow new builds while keeping the stand for behind a goal. If we were to splash the cash with a viw to ground development we need to be buying up parcels of land in the vicinity eg 'Joes Field' and Iarnrod Eireann land that they dont need since the closing to the Macardle Moore Brewery. Looking to get Hiney Park from Dundalk Grammar School should be a priority too. I'm sure some agreement with DGS for the use of their pitches in exchange for pitch maintenance for example.

While there are opportunities in the future for Dundalk/DkIT to consider also, similar to Bohs/DCU the old nugget of the new County Ground crops up again - across the road from DkIT, and ideally sited as a general regional sports campus with the stadium at its core (Ice Hockey rink, soccer dome and swimming pool already on site), 5min walk from the municipal sports centre with 3G pitches and an athletics track and velodrome proposed pending NGB support, a Boxing club, multi-surface game areas and tennis courts. With the amount of car parking space, decent hotel, access to RTE regional studios at DkIT, a sports science lab in the works (DkIT sports physiologists lecturers and students have done testing with the club) and established variations of sports science courses already there with scholarships, its such a waste of an opportunity and tax payer resources for it to be a single use facility. Its would have been in daily use by DkIT, LouthCoCo were on board with another plan so would have switched to this imo and it would have seen Dundalk have access to a ground in Dundalk for European games at least - Oriel could have served from LoI still to local junior land schoolboy leagues if wanting to keep some of the benefits of having yer own ground as there may not be bar facilities for example. (As an aside Louth GAA hurling, football, clubs and Dundalk RFC have all used for training Oriel in the past for nominal cost). Forgive the broken record on this but I find it hard that the broader scope and potential for what will be Louth's new ground was blocked by one local TD with a very very narrow agenda and how its allowed to happen - proactively obstructing other proposals that would have benefited som many more people. Louth barely break a couple of thousand at games including championship games never mind league Div 4 games and some county club finals have struggled to get over 1k with even plum finals with bigger clubs would be 3-4k in what will be an initial 14k capacity ground and with future expansion to 22k. Frustrating in its short sightedness. When Fitzpatrick was asked about Dundalk using the ground he 'promised' that as Louth GAA chairman he would ensure Dundalk FC would the use as needed - I dont know when he became a higher authority than GAA Congress and when that was said to him he scarpered and this when he was campaigning outside Oriel Park on a match night.....

(rant over)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Dundalk seem to have an medium term arrangement with local junior club Quay Celtic (excellent grass pitch) for training for away games, while the grass pitch behind the carrick road goal has its 'seasonal challenges'. DFC used this for prep for most of the EL group games and they have been training most of this week there.

Always good to see junior clubs forge links with senior clubs, and I`m sure DFC will be only too happy to offer them the YDC for winter training / gym work etc.
    I hadnt heard that and its no harm to be more visible in the town and a few € in to a local junior club. Its very open though at Quay Celtic so I hope there is no secret set piece work being down and spies dispatched. I thought Hiney Park had drainage work done a number of years back before Gerry Matthews had to sell it and its at a higher point of the Flurry Glen in general. Although with the flooding that happens on the Ardee Rd I suppose any amount of drainage could be overwhelmed at times. I dont recall the Grammar pitches too get too heavy or flooding and they'd be much lower.

(A quick question Oriel, did Dundalk FC draw another Dundalk club in the FAI Cup years ago do you recall or was it just a possibility with the Quay(?) qualifying one year, there were some very good local junior clubs 80s/90s).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Bank Rovers.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucket View Post
    I just had a look at Google maps. Are ye moving into the place with the blue running track and small astros?
    Whatever about stadiums, it's great to see clubs with big plans in place or in progress; Roadstone, Dundalks YDC, Bohs-SKB-DCU, Cork-FAI new training facility, Galway Utd's Mountain South plans. Anyone have updates on Cork or Galway's progress?
    That's the Finn Valley Centre. Home of Finn Valley AC. We do train there from time to time but it's not available readily and does cost to use. Would be ideal, but our own will be right behind the new stadium, down the same road.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Bank Rovers.
    Thaks for that, didnt realise that it was so long ago as Id have guessed early to mid 90's at the earliest so feeling a bit old now lol. There may have been another junior club from the town that qualified for the cup as 1985 was about when I started following Dundalk and nagging my completely disinterested in sport parents to take me to gamesso I doubt I was that clued in to a possible cup derby then. (mention of Ashtown Villa still makes me wince!!) There's quite a few clubs like Bank Rovers that were traditionally good junior clubs in Dundalk that are now defunct.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 11/03/2021 at 10:34 PM.