Results 4,981 to 5,000 of 8122

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    That's a bit of a disaster. Surely that Tramway end is a protected structure at this stage?

I always thought that was the bit of Dalyer Bohs sold twice/ lost in the court case that ended up with the fella who owned the SC or however that went down? Also the pitch is being rotated in the redevelopment isn't it?

There's a great little wander to be had down there and in the back of the Connaught terrace, like something off that 28 days later urban explorers forum. If anyones around that way have a little gander before it's all torn asunder, the old turnstyles etc are all still there.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelwest View Post
    Also the pitch is being rotated in the redevelopment isn't it?
    Yes it is.

The main stand will be located where the Des Kelly stand currently is.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by colonelwest View Post
    I always thought that was the bit of Dalyer Bohs sold twice/ lost in the court case that ended up with the fella who owned the SC or however that went down? Also the pitch is being rotated in the redevelopment isn't it?

There's a great little wander to be had down there and in the back of the Connaught terrace, like something off that 28 days later urban explorers forum. If anyones around that way have a little gander before it's all torn asunder, the old turnstyles etc are all still there.
    Yeah thats exactly it, the apartments are being done as part of the shopping centre being done up by that guy. I had a look at google earth and used their measurement thing (not 100% accurate but better than nothing) and just now along the halfway line from the start of the main stand to back of the connaught street stand theres 117 meters. so roughly 5 meters of depth per stand behind each goal, for context according again to google earth the uncovered seating in the des kelly in 10m deep and thats excluding the unused terracing behind those seats. So if theyre rotating the pitch those terraces behind each goal will be tiny.
    For me at least the best solution would be to keep the rotation how it is and work with the guy who owns the shopping centre end to create something mutually beneficial then do up the main stand, connaught and des kelly.

Edit: Just saw this https://twitter.com/bfcdublin/status/849662682420719617
    Last edited by RathfarnhamHoop; 05/04/2017 at 5:01 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Yes that's true the end terraces will be tiny going off the design pic that was released last yr.
    But on the upside, it will make for a very compact ground where there wont be much space between the fans and the pitch. just the way I like it!
    And it will be one of the v few uniformed grounds in the league, totally enclosed with the 2 4k stands to complement the ends which will hd a few hundred each.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Yes that's true the end terraces will be tiny going off the design pic that was released last yr.
    But on the upside, it will make for a very compact ground where there wont be much space between the fans and the pitch. just the way I like it!
    And it will be one of the v few uniformed grounds in the league, totally enclosed with the 2 4k stands to complement the ends which will hd a few hundred each.
    While a uniform enclosed ground would be nice there's just something about those terraces, especially the tramway end one, that I just love and I am a fan of unique stands. That could just be me though but I'd like them to work with what's there. Apparently those terraces are the last example in the world of the terraces designed by the guy who designed Highbury, old Trafford, ibrox, and others which is another thing I like but again could just be me that likes that and would like them to stay for that reason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    While a uniform enclosed ground would be nice there's just something about those terraces, especially the tramway end one, that I just love and I am a fan of unique stands. That could just be me though but I'd like them to work with what's there. Apparently those terraces are the last example in the world of the terraces designed by the guy who designed Highbury, old Trafford, ibrox, and others which is another thing I like but again could just be me that likes that and would like them to stay for that reason
    I think that is interesting? I could probably google it but who was the designer. Be very League of Ireland if that part of Dalymount ended up listed due to the architect or engineer being of some acclaim in a Peter Rice type fame.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,347 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    I'm of the same opinion. I'd love to see them fix up what is there already rather than knocking and rebuilding Dalymount. Surely the Jodi is grand as it is? Des Kelly stand could be knocked and replaced, but keeping the charm of the tramway end and doing it up as it is would surely be more beneficial to preserving the history of the old ground?

I know a lot of the ground is in pretty bad shape at the minute, hence why half of it is closed, but is it really in such a state that it's totally beyond repair? Would it not make more sense to fix up the dodgy areas and put a roof around the open part?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    I agree with you, guys. I love the Jodi! I'd love them to keep the Jodi and the current pitch and just fully re-build and roof the other 2 sides, leaving the tramway as a giant monolithic monument towering over that end of the ground. How sweet would that be?

But the snag is that the tramway terrace is actually no longer part of the property. It was sold a few years ago. The new owners can decide to do what they like with it... and it looks like they've decided to build student apartments.

So if the council wants to build a ground that has terraces on every side, and has more than 2 entry points, they need to re-orient the pitch.

Btw, there are great recent pictures online of those old terraces - http://www.forza27.com/dalymount-park/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I think that is interesting? I could probably google it but who was the designer. Be very League of Ireland if that part of Dalymount ended up listed due to the architect or engineer being of some acclaim in a Peter Rice type fame.
    Archibald Leitch I think? Auto correct did the first name so that could be off but the second name is 100% it. He was the football stadium designer in the UK and Ireland at the start of the 20th century. Google probably had a full list of his work but that terracing is the last surviving piece of terracing designed by him as are the crush barriers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Leitch

No terracing left at any of those stadia so Dalymount may well be the last Terrace left but some of his architecture remains to this day.

Many of his works have since been demolished for redevelopment (especially in wake of the Taylor Report and the move to all-seater stadiums), most notably the Trinity Road Stand at Villa Park, considered his masterpiece, which was demolished in 2000. The main stand and pavilion at Craven Cottage, the main stand at Tynecastle and the facade of the main stand at Ibrox (although the stand itself has been remodelled) still survive to this day; all are now listed buildings.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archibald_Leitch

No terracing left at any of those stadia so Dalymount may well be the last Terrace left but some of his architecture remains to this day.

Many of his works have since been demolished for redevelopment (especially in wake of the Taylor Report and the move to all-seater stadiums), most notably the Trinity Road Stand at Villa Park, considered his masterpiece, which was demolished in 2000. The main stand and pavilion at Craven Cottage, the main stand at Tynecastle and the facade of the main stand at Ibrox (although the stand itself has been remodelled) still survive to this day; all are now listed buildings.
    Anybody up for an objection based on historical significance so 😂 I'm sure they could find a way to work with the guy who owns the land to keep the stand but sadly in this country I don't see that happening

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    If we can tear down Fitzwilliam St or build over Wood Quay there isn't a hope of us keeping anything at Dalymount.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    If we can tear down Fitzwilliam St or build over Wood Quay there isn't a hope of us keeping anything at Dalymount.
    Unfortunately thats very accurate. a man can hope though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    In fairness, maintaining an unusable terrace that doesn't belong to Bohemians (or the council for that matter) that can never be used in a stadium that's scheduled for demolition in order to prevent the construction of much needed housing would be a nightmarish outcome.

This development is fabulous for the area. I only hope that the main stands aren't so large in scale, gonna be very difficult for either team to create an atmosphere unless there's a very big crowd.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    In fairness, maintaining an unusable terrace that doesn't belong to Bohemians (or the council for that matter) that can never be used in a stadium that's scheduled for demolition in order to prevent the construction of much needed housing would be a nightmarish outcome.

This development is fabulous for the area. I only hope that the main stands aren't so large in scale, gonna be very difficult for either team to create an atmosphere unless there's a very big crowd.
    We shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves. All the latest talk about the redevelopment of Dalyer has talked about a "phased" approach, where Phase 1 will only include the construction of the main stand (4.5k) and the new pitch.

I don't want to be overly cynical but it looks v likely that when Bohs arrive back in Dalyer to start the 2020 (if they're lucky) season, they'll have one nice stand and an artificial pitch, which isn't really an improvement on what they have now. Knowing how long it takes councils to finish stadia (look at Tallaght) I'd estimate it could be 2030 before the new Dalyer is fully completed. I hope I'm wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts

Personally I think the whole thing should be torn down. Absolutely no reason why that terrace (let's assume Bohs own it) would be kept for architectural merit. It's rotten and too far gone. Besides, there's no real remnants of the old tramyard that are worth saving. Again. Just let's take this opportunity and move on.

We shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves. All the latest talk about the redevelopment of Dalyer has talked about a "phased" approach, where Phase 1 will only include the construction of the main stand (4.5k) and the new pitch.

I don't want to be overly cynical but it looks v likely that when Bohs arrive back in Dalyer to start the 2020 (if they're lucky) season, they'll have one nice stand and an artificial pitch, which isn't really an improvement on what they have now. Knowing how long it takes councils to finish stadia (look at Tallaght) I'd estimate it could be 2030 before the new Dalyer is fully completed. I hope I'm wrong.
    In fairness there were other issues at play with the Tallaght delays. Ahem... Thomas Davis. Ahem.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    I only hope that the main stands aren't so large in scale, gonna be very difficult for either team to create an atmosphere unless there's a very big crowd.
    Agree wholeheartedly with this. It all depends on whether the council are determined to have a 10,000 seater. UEFA category 4 stadiums need to be 8,000 seater or more as far as I know. It makes sense to achieve category 4 status.

The space behind the goals is small but I hope they fit as many as possible to house comfortably there and spread the rest in the two main stands. If that's 3,500 each so be it. The construction of a 4,500 seater stand puts it at serious risk of it being left as a lone stand in a slightly larger version of Athlone's ground.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    You need a lot more than just 8,000 seats to reach Category 4. Capacity is the bit football fans focus on but theres a lot more to it than that. The RSC is closer to Cat 4 than Turners Cross.

I'm sure this has been linked here a dozen times by now.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_stadium_categories

A lot of this could be built into the new stands, but is there room for all of it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Te stadium in Netanya in Isreal had nothing bar a big sreen behind each goal and it took nothing from the ground at all really!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 07/04/2017 at 6:27 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    412 Posts

Is the issue with Tallaght not largely to do with needed capacity versus potential ?

How often is Tallaght sold out for games ? Very rarely from what I can recall - pretty much European fixtures only it seems. So why would a council pour hundreds of thousands, if not millions, into creating additional capacity that is essentially not needed - just to make a stadium look 'complete' ?

This is a fiscally sensible approach from SDCC as far as I can see. Until the demand is there for greater capacity, why provide it ?