1,524 Posts
    They played on Thomond as well.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Pretty sure they used Jackman Park...a football pitch.
    Just how much is missed when in the 1st Division?

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    You're no craic at all.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBench View Post
    Does anyone know which stadium is the most expensive so far?
    Tallaght I assume, especially if you include all the money wasted by the previous Rovers board and the legal challenges.

SDCC put the final cost at €11.2 million, although this doesn't specify what they included: http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx...=939&pid=16099

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    So Dalymount is being done in phases... code for "we'll see how it goes and we can back out half way through if we want" I worry about this plan. Massive 4,500 seater main stand and 10,000 capacity and phased construction. Too ambitious and too many caveats on other things happening.. I'll believe it when I see it... Good luck to Bohs, seems they're going to have job filling that ground or even half filling it... hope I'm wrong...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    A 4,500 main stand is a bit mad. Can't be good for atmosphere or image to have one half empty stand in use 90% of the time. Feels like a missed opportunity to get it right, notwithstanding the fact that it's certainly a very positive development on the whole.

Not sure how Shels are eventually gonna fit into this. It's hard enough to get communities to support one local team, let alone two. I've been thinking about Rovers' success in Tallaght, would there be any merit in Shels jumping ship to Swords? Huge population growth, space to develop, a metro (maybe) linking it to the city down the line. Hypothetical obviously given the money it would cost. Also, I'm sure the fans would have serious issues with their club being moved. Still though, I think it'd be good for LOI football in Dublin.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    http://www.donegalsporthub.com/14766-2/

Capacity of Finn Park increased by 600 for the new season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Should be an interesting meeting tomorrow with Harps supporters over stadium development news etc
    We are the SR the SRFC.......
    Part time Finn Harps too :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fionnsci View Post
    A 4,500 main stand is a bit mad. Can't be good for atmosphere or image to have one half empty stand in use 90% of the time. Feels like a missed opportunity to get it right, notwithstanding the fact that it's certainly a very positive development on the whole.

Not sure how Shels are eventually gonna fit into this. It's hard enough to get communities to support one local team, let alone two. I've been thinking about Rovers' success in Tallaght, would there be any merit in Shels jumping ship to Swords? Huge population growth, space to develop, a metro (maybe) linking it to the city down the line. Hypothetical obviously given the money it would cost. Also, I'm sure the fans would have serious issues with their club being moved. Still though, I think it'd be good for LOI football in Dublin.
    Bohs are averaging about 1,900 per game... hitting maybe 3,000 for big games... if they apply for planning for 10,000 and there's objections then the excessive scale could be one excuse to scupper this project...(see Casement Park.. Granted it's NI but the same principles apply in planning... i.e. the principle of Need vs Want) http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/art...-story-so-far/
    I don't see why 6,000 or 7,000 wouldn't be enough and still have enough capacity for European games / derby games / friendlies etc.. I can't see why we 5000 seats plus terracing for 2,000 wouldn't be enough for any LOI club... (Terracing can be converted for all seater games if necessary... not that stupid expensive rail seating)
    I really like the idea of redeveloping this grand old ground and I think it deserves to be redeveloped and Bohs given a proper home for 50-60 years..but if you read what's out in the media all they're committing to is a pitch and a single big stand and everything else is on the long finger it seems.... correct me if I'm wrong but don't Bohs already have an adequate pitch and a big stand already? If DCC and the FAI are serious about this then they should progress this as a single project with all stands being built at the same time.. I think this whole "Phased" approach is a bit dodgy..
    If you put Shels in the arrangement as well... how's it going to be for atmosphere is there's less than 1,000 people in a 10,000 all seater? Better leave Shels in Tolka and give them €2-3 million to fix the place up.. and knock some of the worst parts..
    If I was a Bohs fan I'd be quite worried by all the uncertainty in this idea...
    innit though??

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SalvadorSanchez View Post
    correct me if I'm wrong but don't Bohs already have an adequate pitch and a big stand already?
    That is a very good point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SalvadorSanchez View Post
    Bohs are averaging about 1,900 per game... hitting maybe 3,000 for big games... if they apply for planning for 10,000
    They aren't applying. Dublin City Council are applying to, well, Dublin City Council.

I don't see why 6,000 or 7,000 wouldn't be enough and still have enough capacity for European games / derby games / friendlies etc.. I can't see why we 5000 seats plus terracing for 2,000 wouldn't be enough for any LOI club...
    It's not really about what a LOI club wants. It's about what DCC wants. And yes they are different

DCC want to develop a stadium that they can use for multiple events, not just football. So they're never going to cater for Bohs wants and needs.

(and Bohs will be fairly happy to see it develop at a slow pace as long as they're playing there and have enough room for themselves to grow )
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Work underway at Finn Park to meet licensing requirements for Premier Division.

Floodlights need an upgrade, dressing rooms and showers being upgraded, a new medical room and control room going in and seating is to get derogation due to work recommencing on new stadium in a few weeks.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Brilliant news but when I hear things like 'Floodlights need an upgrade, dressing rooms and showers being upgraded, a new medical room and control room going in' I always think 'Shouldn't that all have been done ages ago' and 'Will there be enough time'!!
    Looking forward to going there to see Harps v Pat's

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Brilliant news but when I hear things like 'Floodlights need an upgrade, dressing rooms and showers being upgraded, a new medical room and control room going in' I always think 'Shouldn't that all have been done ages ago' and 'Will there be enough time'!!
    Looking forward to going there to see Harps v Pat's
    Some of it has been in progress for the last while and will easily be ready in time. Things like floodlights is one of those things that you wouldn't expect to be told needing upgraded when we're building a new stadium.

All of this was okay in the First Division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Some of it has been in progress for the last while and will easily be ready in time. Things like floodlights is one of those things that you wouldn't expect to be told needing upgraded when we're building a new stadium.

All of this was okay in the First Division.
    TBH, there are a few clubs in the Premier Division who should be told to upgrade their floodlights also. Us included. The floodlights in Terryland are very poor.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Any news on progress with new Harps stadium over the bridge or did they skip over this at the meeting
    We are the SR the SRFC.......
    Part time Finn Harps too :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaHoop View Post
    Any news on progress with new Harps stadium over the bridge or did they skip over this at the meeting
    Not a huge amount on it. There's constant meetings between the FAI, government and Stadium Committee to discuss what's going on. Club confident funds will be released soon though and builder is ready to start once funds are released. Hope to be started in the next few weeks again.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olander View Post
    TBH, there are a few clubs in the Premier Division who should be told to upgrade their floodlights also. Us included. The floodlights in Terryland are very poor.
    The club are aware that ours need upgrading but they can't afford to do it without grant aid.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Only half the bulbs are working in the scoreboard corner. It was very dark in that corner for the game against Limerick.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Yeah there's a constant issue with bulbs blowing. They're expensive to buy and you have to hire a cherry picker in order to put them in. The entire system is just outdated at this stage.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.