Results 7,561 to 7,580 of 8099

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Does the latest plan leave any possibility of expansion in the future to say 10K or 12K if necessary down the road?
    I don't believe so

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Its approaching 4 decades since it was the home of Irish football can they really use that anymore?
    I don't see why not. At least until somewhere else can credibly claim the title. I don't think Lansdowne can, as would be strange to claim that the home of Irish football is a rugby stadium that the game only has an agreement to use for a fixed number of years.

Bohs averaged around 3.5k last season and whilst their average has been steadily increasing over last few years they have a long way to go to get anywhere near 10k. IMO 3.5k-4k in and 8k capacity looks and sounds better than same amount in a 10k stadium, if over half the stadium is going to be empty 90% of the time its wasted money . Grant or government funding that could be better spent elsewhere in LOI or in grassroots game
    Irish football has plenty of scope for growth, and clear signs that it is slowly but surely starting to experience it. As pointed out by others, the crowds at Dalymount have been limited by capacity constraints. And then here's the uplift in numbers gained purely from a new stadium. So if Rovers can justify a 10,000 capacity stadium I see no reason why Bohs can't too. On current numbers I'd fully expect their average to definitely be above 5,000 in a new Dalymount. And by the time it's built that figure will probably be higher again.

BTW - if a club was averagng crowds of 10,000 (which you say Bohs are a long way from achieving), then a 10,000 capacity stadium would clearly too small for them. You don't build a house for the size of family you have now, but for the size you expect you'll need in future. I'd say a 10,000 stadium would be ideal for a club averaging around 7,500-8,000 crowds - as it would provide room for bigger gates when needed. I can honestly see Bohs growing to that kind of level over the next 10-15yrs, especially with the bounce of a new stadium and if they continue the work they're doing in the community and to create a strong brand for themselves. Not to mention the likely large population growth in North Dublin.

3. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Its approaching 4 decades since it was the home of Irish football can they really use that anymore?

Bohs averaged around 3.5k last season and whilst their average has been steadily increasing over last few years they have a long way to go to get anywhere near 10k. IMO 3.5k-4k in and 8k capacity looks and sounds better than same amount in a 10k stadium, if over half the stadium is going to be empty 90% of the time its wasted money . Grant or government funding that could be better spent elsewhere in LOI or in grassroots game
    I think your average crowd number is a bit low, however you have to remember the size of the crowds at Dalymount are restricted by most of it being unusable. By all accounts the demand for tickets is always higher to what can be supplied. I would hate to think a new Dalymount holding 7.5k-8k would still leave people without tickets. Build a 10k seater stadium and IF only 8k turn up that's fine but we all know the club support is growing and the larger stadium will future proof the supply and demand for sometime. Imagine 5 or 6 years down the line jumping through hoops to get planning and finance to expand, it won't happen!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    I think your average crowd number is a bit low, however you have to remember the size of the crowds at Dalymount are restricted by most of it being unusable. By all accounts the demand for tickets is always higher to what can be supplied. I would hate to think a new Dalymount holding 7.5k-8k would still leave people without tickets. Build a 10k seater stadium and IF only 8k turn up that's fine but we all know the club support is growing and the larger stadium will future proof the supply and demand for sometime. Imagine 5 or 6 years down the line jumping through hoops to get planning and finance to expand, it won't happen!
    My average went by their average crowds for the last few years and you're right about that the fact only 1 stand and 1 end being used in Dalymount severely restricts capacity, but when is the last time a LOI game came close to selling over 8k tickets. Maybe the Bohs Vs Shams games, games in europe or a friendly against a big UK/European side may do so, but as I said 90% of the time a 10k stadium will be lucky to be more than 35-40% full in the LOI
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Seems like the biggest issue for any expansion/higher capacity is access and egress due to the size of the site. We have an awful long way to go before 8k isn't enough. Modern health and safety standards and the shrinking site due to the historic sale of the Phibsboro Shopping Centre End dictate that. If we ever get to the point of needing further expansion maybe something will be figured out but would seem unlikely to pass any kind of cost/benefit analysis (would you have to buy sections of land from residents gardens?). Think the club have pushed this to it's limit and we're probably getting more than we could reasonably expect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Its approaching 4 decades since [Dalymount] was the home of Irish football can they really use that anymore?
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    I don't see why not. At least until somewhere else can credibly claim the title.
    Hmmm.

I imagine the good folk at Cliftonville FC might have something to say in that regard. Or, if you're speaking less literally/more figuratively, then Belfast surely holds the title, no?

Though Dalymount is certainly the home of football in Dublin, or Republic of Ireland if you prefer.

HTH

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I saw somewhere that the new stands in Dalymount were limited to 9 meters height on purpose to remove the possibility of objections. The South Stand in Tallaght is 14 meters high with good viewing angles and was completed for €2m.
    South Stand Tallaght Stadium

Its mad that the new Dalymount will cost €40m for 2 debatably inferior stands. (I know one of them will have corporate glass so that increases the cost) DCC seemed intent on the rotating pitch option.

Would have loved to see a big 4000+ seater stand opposite the Jodi and new Des Kelly terrace . Jodi could have been for away fans.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    I saw somewhere that the new stands in Dalymount were limited to 9 meters height on purpose to remove the possibility of objections. The South Stand in Tallaght is 14 meters high with good viewing angles and was completed for €2m.

Its mad that the new Dalymount will cost €40m for 2 debatably inferior stands. (I know one of them will have corporate glass so that increases the cost) DCC seemed intent on the rotating pitch option.

Would have loved to see a big 4000+ seater stand opposite the Jodi and new Des Kelly terrace . Jodi could have been for away fans.
    It's crazy, the Connaught St terrace and the Jodi had to be more than 9mtrs high and those heights should still be permissible. Who was the SC end sold to?

10. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Though Dalymount is certainly the home of football in Dublin, or Republic of Ireland if you prefer.
    That's a bit like saying famine cottages are the home of the Irish people.

Pretty much nobody under 40 will have ever seen Ireland play a game in Dalyer. Times move on. The home of Irish football is a rugby ground now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post

It does seem a very high price alright but I'm a bit lost with the price of everything at the moment. I don't really know what the breakdown of that cost is (even roughly). Don't know if it includes demolition cost, does it include the money already spent on the process (probably?). Can't really debate about inferior stands yet because we still haven't seen that much detail really so there's not a lot of comparison to be made. It was mentioned that the height would be around the same as the Jodi Stand, maybe slightly higher.

Tallaght has tall all-seater stands and decent sized gaps in and around the corner flags, with a final capacity above 10k. Dalymount is currently envisioned to have a mix of terracing and seating with a final capacity of circa 8k and looks like they'll try to fill every gap with some kind of accommodation, even if very small. Dalymount is an urban development boxed in by schools, houses and shops. Tallaght is a greenfield, more suburban site. They're just very different developments really. I didn't hear any mention of safe standing type accommodation in either of the pitchside stands but they'd be better off trying to get something like that in, particularly if the culture of standing towards the corner blocks of the main stand remains. The terraces behind the goal are too small to create that kind of visual effect the corner in the Jodi has.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    Who was the SC end sold to?
    The first time or the second time? Fairly sure it was the owners of the shopping centre who ended up with it, but open to correction.

The proposed development looks good. 8,000 is reasonable I think. While there's great momentum behind the league at the moment, you'd probably get much better odds that it's a short term anomaly rather than a long term trend. If Bohs are filling 8,000 every week they'll probably have the funds then to either relocate or expand the development somehow. It would be a great problem to have.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    The first time or the second time? Fairly sure it was the owners of the shopping centre who ended up with it, but open to correction.

The proposed development looks good. 8,000 is reasonable I think. While there's great momentum behind the league at the moment, you'd probably get much better odds that it's a short term anomaly rather than a long term trend. If Bohs are filling 8,000 every week they'll probably have the funds then to either relocate or expand the development somehow. It would be a great problem to have.
    If Bohs relocated the residents will be getting looked upon by the folk in the new apartments. Then they'd would want the ground to stay. I personally would love to see Bohs stay where they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Just build it strong and allow history to repeat itself. Get a ladder for Rocketman.

Problem solved.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    That's a bit like saying famine cottages are the home of the Irish people.

Pretty much nobody under 40 will have ever seen Ireland play a game in Dalyer. Times move on. The home of Irish football is a rugby ground now.
    Eh?

The point I was making was that "Irish football" encompasses more than just the 26 counties.

Football in Ireland (island) started officially in 1880, in Belfast, making claims for anywhere in Dublin to be "The Home of Irish Football" quite simply wrong.

"IFA - Original & Best"

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Just build it strong and allow history to repeat itself. Get a ladder for Rocketman.

Problem solved.

Remember seeing that picture before. what year was that took?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Think that picture is way older before H&S was in force!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Eh?

The point I was making was that "Irish football" encompasses more than just the 26 counties.

Football in Ireland (island) started officially in 1880, in Belfast, making claims for anywhere in Dublin to be "The Home of Irish Football" quite simply wrong.

"IFA - Original & Best"
    Well, ok; that's fair. Though given the country is called Ireland, it's hardly incorrect to use the adjective "Irish".

And Dalymount still isn't the home of anyone other than Bohs these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    first pic is 1973 - second pic is an Irish game in 1985 (Italy).

if you cant see the first pic (I can but it wasnt the usual .jpg format) - the tweet is here:

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    first pic is 1973 - second pic is an Irish game in 1985 (Italy).

if you cant see the first pic (I can but it wasnt the usual .jpg format) - the tweet is here:

The photo (1973) is from famous the 3-0 ( Brady’s debut) win over the USSR- and yes I’m one of the over 40s that was there…. As time goes by I’m starting to feel like the Woody Allen character Zelig
    Last edited by Calcio Jack; 24/04/2023 at 8:55 PM.

25. Thanks From: