First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toffeejay84 View Post
    Dalymount redevelopment project:

https://councilmeetings.dublincity.i....aspx?ID=40933

This is absolutely brilliant pdf presentation.
    Looks good but it pains me that it will be only 8K… if we ever get it fully built, and that’s still a v big “if”. They should be aiming for 10K imho.

Personally, I’d still prefer if they kept the Jodi and redevelop the rest, to a 10K capacity, but that’s just me.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I thought the same, but there will be a commercial development on the Tramway stand so at the current direction of the pitch it would only be able to have 3 sides.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Looks good but it pains me that it will be only 8K… if we ever get it fully built, and that’s still a v big “if”. They should be aiming for 10K imho.

Personally, I’d still prefer if they kept the Jodi and redevelop the rest, to a 10K capacity, but that’s just me.
    Jodi stand looks a better stand than the 2700 seater stand in those plans; steeper gradient for better angle of view. Looks like the new stands are all shallow to keep residents objections down?
    Also, 5 meters gap between pitch and stand isn't ideal.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Totally agree with you on this, it needs to be bigger. Is it modular so it can be extended?
    I agree totally with you on this. Will it be modular to increase capacity if required?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    I agree totally with you on this. Will it be modular to increase capacity if required?
    And the terraces behind each goal look a bit harmless , especially the 700 odd capacity one

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    My question is where did the commercial development come out of? I don't remember that being in the original plans. Could that space not have gone to better community facilities than the gym and hall that's being shoe horned into the corner?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    Jodi stand looks a better stand than the 2700 seater stand in those plans; steeper gradient for better angle of view. Looks like the new stands are all shallow to keep residents objections down?
    5 meters isn't too bad is it? What would Tallaght be? From the front row of the jodi now to the white of the sideline is probably 5 meters now in Dalyer.

I do agree with the gradient however. Hopefully it's stepper than it looks.

The Jodi is not fit for purpose at all. It's too small, the blocks aren't laid out properly where they need to be (singing section is smallest block), there's about 30% the toilets there should be, there's two poles obstructing the view of the pitch, the seats are tiny, there's only one entrance and exit and it's down a narrow lane which the local fire brigade have noted as a massive risk. As someone else has said redeveloping the rest of the ground would leave a 3 sided stadium.

I love the Jodi and I love Dalyer but it's served its purpose in its current guise and we need to knock it and rotate the pitch to get the most out of it.

I agree I'd love 10k but my initial thoughts is compared to the 6k we were going to have, I'm delighted with 8k. I do hope the terrace can be converted to seating for big european games hopefully allowing a total seated capacity of about 7k for those european games.

8. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts

Definitely agree. A limit of 8,000 will become too constricting for Bohs. 10,000 feels about right. 8,000 would also be a bit of a slap in the jaw for 'The Home of Irish Football'.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buller View Post
    I thought the same from the renders. The gradient is extremely shallow, making the stand much more low and squat. I don’t know the reasons but I assume it’s to avoid objections as you mentioned.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toffeejay84 View Post
    I thought the same, but there will be a commercial development on the Tramway stand so at the current direction of the pitch it would only be able to have 3 sides.
    The pitch could be easily moved a few metres down towards the school. You might lose a few rows from the DK end but you’ll gain them at the other end, resulting in small terraces at each end. Then build a proper big stand opposite the Jodi.
    That way Bohs could stay in Dalyer, keep the current Jodi, and have a 4 sided stadium with 8-10K. It would be WAY cheaper and faster than a total demolition and rebuild.
    And it would

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Nothing much to add but last night's meeting with the council and architects is the first time I've allowed myself to get fully excited about the Dalymount development. Felt like a big step to be in with the design team and not just board members, who have always been very positive about the development but ultimately are Bohs fans so their motivation and desire is obvious. I do feel like this will happen.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohsmug View Post
    Nothing much to add but last night's meeting with the council and architects is the first time I've allowed myself to get fully excited about the Dalymount development. Felt like a big step to be in with the design team and not just board members, who have always been very positive about the development but ultimately are Bohs fans so their motivation and desire is obvious. I do feel like this will happen.
    Was the gradient of the new stands compared to the Jodi at all by any chance? THat's my only concern about the new stadium

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Definitely agree. A limit of 8,000 will become too constricting for Bohs. 10,000 feels about right. 8,000 would also be a bit of a slap in the jaw for 'The Home of Irish Football'.
    Its approaching 4 decades since it was the home of Irish football can they really use that anymore?

Bohs averaged around 3.5k last season and whilst their average has been steadily increasing over last few years they have a long way to go to get anywhere near 10k. IMO 3.5k-4k in and 8k capacity looks and sounds better than same amount in a 10k stadium, if over half the stadium is going to be empty 90% of the time its wasted money . Grant or government funding that could be better spent elsewhere in LOI or in grassroots game
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post
    Its approaching 4 decades since it was the home of Irish football can they really use that anymore?

Bohs averaged around 3.5k last season and whilst their average has been steadily increasing over last few years they have a long way to go to get anywhere near 10k. IMO 3.5k-4k in and 8k capacity looks and sounds better than same amount in a 10k stadium, if over half the stadium is going to be empty 90% of the time its wasted money . Grant or government funding that could be better spent elsewhere in LOI or in grassroots game
    The money is coming from DCC though. Any savings wont get redirected to grassroots or elsewhere in LOI, it goes back into DCC coffers.

If you wanna keep costs down, by far the best option is to keep the current Jodi and rebuild 3 other sides. That’s still my preferred option but seems long off the table now.

I don’t doubt 3.5k was an average last year but I’d say a lot of that was due to limited capacity. I live near phibsboro and getting tickets for any games the past 2 years has been v tricky. Matches regularly sell out weeks in advance, especially the bigger games. As for the derby, they probably sell out months in advance.

Only 10 yrs ago I remember strolling into Dalymount on a Fri eve and there might only be 600 there. Getting a ticket was the least of your problems.

I reckon if the clubs continue building on their current trajectory the Dublin clubs could average 5K and aim towards 10K for the biggest games like Dublin derbies, euro matches, and especially the Bohs v Rovers games.

How ridiculous would it be in 5 years if Bohs had to continue turning away people for the Dublin derbies because the redeveloped Dalymount only holds 8K. (The official figure is actually lower than 8. I think it’s around 7.8K).

I suppose the fully expanded Tallaght when it opens this summer will be a very good barometer. If Rovers can get 10K for big matches like derbies and euro games etc, then 10K should be the aim for other clubs.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    8k with only 6k seats is short sighted thinking with the way the league is going, and the way the likes of Bohs are growing and turning away crowds with their capacity issue.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Seating is all nice and good yeah but don't a lot of supporters prefer to stand? seems like a good idea to install at least one covered terrace in every stadium.
    Now let's install a terrace into the RSC yeah?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SPXcyan View Post
    Seating is all nice and good yeah but don't a lot of supporters prefer to stand? seems like a good idea to install at least one covered terrace in every stadium.
    Now let's install a terrace into the RSC yeah?!
    Nothing wrong with terracing, over the moon that we're getting a terrace in Finn Harps new stadium because I hate sitting down at matches. The overall 8k (including 6k seats) is where the issue is. 10k with 8k seats, capable of potentially hosting European group stage action, is what Dalymount should have been.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Neish View Post

Bohs have sold out their home allocation in 90% of games last year (albeit it was about 2800 people). In many games, folks bought tickets to the away end to get in.

This year our home allocation is 4k with the rejig of Dalymount and again we've sold out or home allocation in pretty much every game. Our away stand has sold out in 3 of 5 games too.

My point is, demand for Bohs tickets is far outweighing supply. I easily see us averaging 6k in the new stadium with Dublin Derbys and other andom big games selling out.

Most people agree that 8k is too small and DCC should be aiming for 10k. I believe there are some problems anticipated with 10k in terms of both funding and planning permission so I'm happy to take 8k to get the ball rolling.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David BOHie View Post
    Most people agree that 8k is too small and DCC should be aiming for 10k. I believe there are some problems anticipated with 10k in terms of both funding and planning permission so I'm happy to take 8k to get the ball rolling.
    Does the latest plan leave any possibility of expansion in the future to say 10K or 12K if necessary down the road?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts