Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 366 of 405 FirstFirst ... 266316356364365366367368376 ... LastLast
Results 7,301 to 7,320 of 8094

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Where will Bohs play when they have to move out for a while? Inichicore or Tolka?
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Everything about this decision is mental.
    I checked Twitter earlier and in the hundreds of comments about it I didn’t see any in favour, not one.
    Well if Twitter says no I guess that’s it

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Of Aherlow View Post
    Well if Twitter says no I guess that’s it
    I’m not saying that it will make any impact on the development. Just interesting to note that of the hundreds of Bohs fans talking about it I’ve yet to see a positive comment, including on here. That says something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Where will Bohs play when they have to move out for a while? Inichicore or Tolka?

Morton

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Morton
    Happy memories!!
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    Happy memories!!
    A special place in the heart of Bohs fans.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Saw in a news item. Ireland to be part of a joint bid for 2028 Euros and massive investment in the Aviva and Croke Park. Ffs if there was an investment in fly fishing Croke Park and The GAA would get a share. The link to the news item would not copy for me.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    Saw in a news item. Ireland to be part of a joint bid for 2028 Euros and massive investment in the Aviva and Croke Park. Ffs if there was an investment in fly fishing Croke Park and The GAA would get a share. The link to the news item would not copy for me.
    Seen in paper today that there would have to be a revamp of Croke Park for this to be feasible.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Seen in paper today that there would have to be a revamp of Croke Park for this to be feasible.
    Typical of the GAA to get a leg up from the investment. The money would be better used to revamp 2 existing Soccer grounds like Dalymount and Richmond or Tolka, OR one in Dublin and one provincial along with the Aviva. There is no point investing in a stadium where LOI or Soccer ball will never be kicked. There is already(we have been told) €40million earmarked for Dalymount for 8,000 ish capacity put in another €?? million and create 20,000 - 25,000 capacity, then do the same for another selected ground and leave the legacy stadiums as a start of LOI ground investments. Use the three Grounds to host games targeting smaller fixtures for the smaller grounds and the Aviva for bigger fixtures.
    You may agree or disagree but my point is give the GAA nothing from an investment in soccer.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    645 Posts
    You wont fit 25000 onto the Dalymount site but i take your point.
    Not sure but id say the same re Tolka.
    Pats green field site they had proposed to move to could work or build a new Stadium for Cork or Galway maybe

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    You could fit in dalymount if they used the same idea as at this year's world cup - two-tier stadium where the top tier will be taken off & moved to fil in a different stadium after the event. Crazy outside the box thinking, but we'll soon know if it works.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinkicker View Post
    Typical of the GAA to get a leg up from the investment. The money would be better used to revamp 2 existing Soccer grounds like Dalymount and Richmond or Tolka, OR one in Dublin and one provincial along with the Aviva. There is no point investing in a stadium where LOI or Soccer ball will never be kicked. There is already(we have been told) €40million earmarked for Dalymount for 8,000 ish capacity put in another €?? million and create 20,000 - 25,000 capacity, then do the same for another selected ground and leave the legacy stadiums as a start of LOI ground investments. Use the three Grounds to host games targeting smaller fixtures for the smaller grounds and the Aviva for bigger fixtures.
    You may agree or disagree but my point is give the GAA nothing from an investment in soccer.
    It does grate to see the GAA getting even more of a handout for this - but the problem is that the needs of a major UEFA tournament and those of the LOI do not overlap at all really.

UEFA won't be looking to put games in a 20-25,000 stadium in Dublin. It's a capital city and a key location, so they'll want to put a quarter final or semi-final there as well as group games. So they'll be looking for at least twice that capacity. 20-25,000 would be far too big for LOI clubs anyway, and detract form the atmosphere IMO. Linfield getting crowds of 2,500 in the 18,500 capacity Windsor Park is not a good experience, and it wouldn't help the LOI to have something similar.

The problem at the moment is that we don't really know what the natural demand and capacity limit is currently for LOI clubs. We know that a number of grounds sell out regularly (Tallaght, Richmond, Dalymount, Brandywell), and we've seen the potential at certain clubs in Cup Final attendances and European fixtures. But we don't know what the high-water mark is for these clubs. Rovers are probably the best supported in the league at the moment (though Derry fans would have a case for disputing that after Sunday's turnout), so I'd suggest we need to wait and see what happens when Tallaght has a 10,000 capacity. Will it sell out regularly, or will that size prove to be about right for the club for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by EatYerGreens; 16/11/2022 at 11:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    It does grate to see the GAA getting even more of a handout for this - but the problem is that the needs of a major UEFA tournament and those of the LOI do not overlap at all really.

UEFA won't be looking to put games in a 20-25,000 stadium in Dublin. It's a capital city and a key location, so they'll want to put a quarter final or semi-final there as well as group games. So they'll be looking for at least twice that capacity. 20-25,000 would be far too big for LOI clubs anyway, and detract form the atmosphere IMO. Linfield getting crowds of 2,500 in the 18,500 capacity Windsor Park is not a good experience, and it wouldn't help the LOI to have something similar.

The problem at the moment is that we don't really know what the natural demand and capacity limit is currently for LOI clubs. We know that a number of grounds sell out regularly (Tallaght, Richmond, Dalymount, Brandywell), and we've seen the potential at certain clubs in Cup Final attendances and European fixtures. But we don't know what the high-water mark is for these clubs. Rovers are probably the best supported in the league at the moment (though Derry fans would have a case for disputing that after Sunday's turnout), so I'd suggest we need to wait and see what happens when Tallaght has a 10,000 capacity. Will it sell out regularly, or will that size prove to be about right for the club for the foreseeable future.
    For it to be the right size, I think it has to sell out occassionally for the big matches. There's a balance there somewhere. Remains to be seen with the increase in Tallaght but the crowds are higher than I would've thought. A few years ago I would've said 10k capacity is too much for a LOI side but there's a stronger counter argument to that now.

The proposed capacity of around 7,800 or so for Dalymount at the moment seems just right for Bohs. It's still massively ambitious to reach a point where it's justified. There'll still be people screaming that it's too low. It could very definitely turn out to be too big, although again signs are good. If it actually gets built of course. Always in danger of looking a bit silly talking about proposed LOI grounds when you look back in a few years, months...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohsmug View Post
    For it to be the right size, I think it has to sell out occassionally for the big matches. There's a balance there somewhere. Remains to be seen with the increase in Tallaght but the crowds are higher than I would've thought. A few years ago I would've said 10k capacity is too much for a LOI side but there's a stronger counter argument to that now.

The proposed capacity of around 7,800 or so for Dalymount at the moment seems just right for Bohs. It's still massively ambitious to reach a point where it's justified. There'll still be people screaming that it's too low. It could very definitely turn out to be too big, although again signs are good. If it actually gets built of course. Always in danger of looking a bit silly talking about proposed LOI grounds when you look back in a few years, months...
    Do you not need 8,000 to host European group stage games ? That would feel like the right kind of level for a stadium north of the Liffey.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Do you not need 8,000 to host European group stage games ? That would feel like the right kind of level for a stadium north of the Liffey.
    Well I wouldn't be against 8,000 either. Anything in and around that number is excellent. From what I've heard Dalymount would need a derogation either way because it won't reach UEFA category 4 status due to all the other things needed to reach that level. So on that front, I don't know if capacity would be the biggest hurdle for group stage football should the current proposal be realised.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Its a pity that Windsor Park wasnt considered considering that NI is part of the 5 nation bid.I know thats it small but there always seems to be a great atmosphere at NI matches.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    408 Posts
    Its a pity that Windsor Park wasnt considered considering that NI is part of the 5 nation bid.I know thats it small but there always seems to be a great atmosphere at NI matches.
    Windsor is far too big for Linfield, but far to small for anything in international football. If common sense was at play then Linfield would move elsewhere and the ground would be expanded a bit at some point. But for lots of reasons that won't happen.

21. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Was a great atmosphere in the 1993 world cup playoff alright

But sure what capacity is it now 18k or something like that? Far too small for a European championship
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    https://www.derryjournal.com/sport/f...tadium-3923579

Interesting article here. Taking along the FAI to a meeting with the council, and implying that the club may help with the costs of switching the pitch back to grass.