Results 6,061 to 6,080 of 8039

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Sligo replacing 1000 seats in their main stand and doing some other work like paint and stuff at the same time.
    Great to see a club consistently investing in facilities.
    Sligo are probably the best run club in the county in my opinion, the joke model club gets thrown around a lot but especially for clubs in the county Sligo really should be the blueprint.
    To be honest the blueprint is fairly straightforward ... hard work.

The two projects in the Showgrounds at the moment are the clubhouse and new seating in the stands. These have been done by non-committee members that volunteer.

Edit: And the Annual draw is on at the minute too. Every house in the town and county (and beyond) will be knocked on by volunteers selling tickets. It usually takes in north of 60k per season.
    https://www.sligorovers.com/product/...1uiNTTAg0bCCns
    Last edited by redobit; 27/05/2019 at 2:02 PM.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    To be honest the blueprint is fairly straightforward ... hard work.

The two projects in the Showgrounds at the moment are the clubhouse and new seating in the stands. These have been done by non-committee members that volunteer.

Edit: And the Annual draw is on at the minute too. Every house in the town and county (and beyond) will be knocked on by volunteers selling tickets. It usually takes in north of 60k per season.
    Yeah hard work is obviously the main part of it all but for a town of 19k to fundraise something like 400k a season, I know people outside the town support the club too but that'd be the main concentration of fans, and to have such a feeling of goodwill from locals, some people are definitely doing more than just working hard and it's seriously paying off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I don't really get Dundalk's approach now they have money. More away support, regardless of the team, means more home support. Everybody likes an atmosphere at games. They don't need to spend millions to make the away end alright, just a few things like making it so you can walk around OK and, as the club thankfully seem to have done, have some accessible toilets.
    Totally agree with you, they could and should be doing more, granted they spent up to 500K on YDC last winter inside it, but this is all for players. They have got to switch priorities to spectator improvements. I get the point they are probably unable to roof the away end as it would impede the view from the stand, if that's the case build a damn terrace and a roof behind that goal, or at least in the corner. Anyone who has been there recently where the new toilets are built, you can see there is loads of space to build behind the goal, plus they had temp seating in there twice in 2014. Pleased to see the new toilets opening, at least there should be a little hygene now with almost proper facilities / sinks as there is hot food on sale close by.

The PA system is a joke, and not just on the ground, in the stand you just stop talking when he gets going, no point as its far too loud, plus he thinks he has to talking for every minute pre match and all of HT, at least we have the safe haven of the upstairs stand bar away from the noise at HT.
    Last edited by oriel; 27/05/2019 at 4:38 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    The issues at Oriel Park really have been discussed to death, by myself alone! Something like cranking down the PA doesnt cost money mind!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    The issues at Oriel Park really have been discussed to death, by myself alone! Something like cranking down the PA doesnt cost money mind!!
    Probably cost a bit to pay off your man for not talking every second of the day!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Probably cost a bit to pay off your man for not talking every second of the day!
    Like most positions in the club it is voluntary.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Insanely loud PA seems to be an increasing trend in the league. Not sure why so many clubs feel the need to blast their patrons out of it.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Like most positions in the club it is voluntary.
    Very good point, volunteers are even more susceptible to bribes than paid staff so shouldn't cost that much to pay him off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Insanely loud PA seems to be an increasing trend in the league. Not sure why so many clubs feel the need to blast their patrons out of it.
    Didn't notice the volume in Oriel, but the RSC level was mad.
    On the RSC, did the stand used for away fans not have toilets? I thought it did, but it's portaloos now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Don't let away fans into the proper toilets in the newer RSC stand, used to do before. Portaloos are never great and I expect are a nightmare for female fans.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Fair play to Sligo. I did notice while up at the Shamrock R game recently that a fair few of the seats were in bad shape. On a fine summers evening, the Showgrounds is a lovely venue to go to. Is there something going on in Tolka re replacing seats behind one of the goals there? Still think the Irish soccer family have given up too easily on Tolka, apart from Eamon Dumphy I don't recall much calls for its retention. Loads of reasons to keep it, regardless of what happens in Dalymount.
    Interesting that Dundalk still has a large number of volunteers, when one considers that it is owned by a venture capital entity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    There are positions that were voluntary that are now paid eg kitman/groundsman. But by and large volunteerism is still strong eg PA, Event Controller, Some of the office staff, shop assistants, some stewards, ticket hatch people. Bar staff are all paid now where volunteers used to chip in at exceptionally busy spells. If people are hapy to volunteer their time and are capable of filling the role properly then why change that. The venture capitalists are focused on spending on the team and their facilities, they want to have the general running of the club sustainable and maximise income streams which is a work in progress eg bar in YDC and general additional use of YDC. It would likely take another EL groups stage level of income before we see things like a push on on spectator facilities as any investment is paid back and making a return. Its is then a balancing act between for the owners between maintaining a level of return and club development to possibly increase return by investing in infrastructure.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Don't think it's been posted here and will try get a photo later but all the seats behind the Strokestown end have been replaced with brand new ones and the foundations have been filled in (was no concrete between the steps over there). We've also got a massive new electronic scoreboard and in general the place has never looked better. Just need a roof for section O and away fans now

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Don't think it's been posted here and will try get a photo later but all the seats behind the Strokestown end have been replaced with brand new ones and the foundations have been filled in (was no concrete between the steps over there). We've also got a massive new electronic scoreboard and in general the place has never looked better. Just need a roof for section O and away fans now
    I am imaging that its the end where the scoreboard is. I was told during the UEFA championships that end will never open again and the only reason the new seats were put in was because the game was shown live on the various platforms and the ground needed to look good..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I am imaging that its the end where the scoreboard is. I was told during the UEFA championships that end will never open again and the only reason the new seats were put in was because the game was shown live on the various platforms and the ground needed to look good..
    Club plan to open that end of the ground this summer, I take it what you were told is "nobody will ever stand there" which is probably true sadly.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Clearly a member/members of the Bohs board read this and hold my opinion in high regard as they're organising a cleanup of the tramway end this Friday and Saturday

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    Club plan to open that end of the ground this summer, I take it what you were told is "nobody will ever stand there" which is probably true sadly.
    It must be 15 years or more since it was officially in use. It increases the capacity for international games, potentially friendlies etc.

It’s a great little ground considering how little public money was ever provided for it, just a bit more cover from the elements needed as you say. And new floodlights in an ideal world.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Clearly a member/members of the Bohs board read this and hold my opinion in high regard
    I doubt that very much.

Members/fans do an organised clean up of Dalymount twice a year, pre season and mid season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    I doubt that very much.

Members/fans do an organised clean up of Dalymount twice a year, pre season and mid season.
    Christ almighty do we need a ****in joke siren for you Bohs lads?

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    I doubt that very much.

True. I heard it at the AGM 😁