Results 5,841 to 5,860 of 8100

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Average HOME gate about 2,000 so apart from the early season rubber neckers (event junkeys) I don't see us needing to worry about crowds over 6000. Apart from 'Bradser's cup finals' and FAI cup semi, we haven't had any sell out games this year. while I hope we can grow our fan base I don't really see 6K plus crowds on any sort of regular basis.

As a half empty Lansdowne will show this week the 'build it and they will come' model has a limited shelf life.
    6000 would be fine as apart from Rovers games and big cup games as you said its plenty at the moment.
    You'd like to see a plan in place to allow for potential expansion though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    6000 would be fine as apart from Rovers games and big cup games as you said its plenty at the moment.
    You'd like to see a plan in place to allow for potential expansion though.
    Yea, we all live in hope. Given Lansdowne, RDS, Tallaght etc are all nearby I don't think there is a need in Dublin for another 10K stadium. Ideally there should be capacity to expand and I'm not sure that has been factored in.Interestingly, Bohs originally proposed a 6K seater stadium and it was the Council that wanted 10K.

Of the sell out games we had - shams and FAI Cup semi, I don't think any would have been in excess of 6K crowds (had 6K been an option). it would take a massive growth in support to justify anything more than 6K.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Yea, we all live in hope. Given Lansdowne, RDS, Tallaght etc are all nearby I don't think there is a need in Dublin for another 10K stadium. Ideally there should be capacity to expand and I'm not sure that has been factored in.Interestingly, Bohs originally proposed a 6K seater stadium and it was the Council that wanted 10K.

Of the sell out games we had - shams and FAI Cup semi, I don't think any would have been in excess of 6K crowds (had 6K been an option). it would take a massive growth in support to justify anything more than 6K.
    I think the 8k seat requirement for Cat4 games would be enough on its own to merit looking at that capacity. That said, Cat4 stadia carry with them a list of extra requirements (incl. for example an additional 50 VIP parking spots and 10 I think additional press corps spots) that all require more space, more euros and so on. I am curious whether we get to retain some of our existing revenue streams as that too will be critical for our ability to compete regularly at the top of the league again.

All that said, its a beautiful vision - lets hope it becomes reality within the timelines suggested - and something for the entire community to be proud of and look forward to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Not quite. Less 'here comes the summer' and more here comes the guy who will actually do something to get us a stadium and not arse about with the project for ten years.

http://www.highlandradio.com/2017/05...n-harps-board/
    Not as catchy for me. But perhaps what is required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I think the 8k seat requirement for Cat4 games would be enough on its own to merit looking at that capacity. That said, Cat4 stadia carry with them a list of extra requirements (incl. for example an additional 50 VIP parking spots and 10 I think additional press corps spots) that all require more space, more euros and so on. I am curious whether we get to retain some of our existing revenue streams as that too will be critical for our ability to compete regularly at the top of the league again.

All that said, its a beautiful vision - lets hope it becomes reality within the timelines suggested - and something for the entire community to be proud of and look forward to.
    We did have 'an understanding' with DCC about retaining the bar but I'm not sure if that followed through to the final proposal. Hopefully it did as it will be a decent fund raiser, especially early on when we are (hopefully) flooded with fans having a nose around the new stadium. I appreciate the cat4 issue but just not convinced its that necessary.
    Personally, I love the old place and the lifetime of memories I have of it so looking forward to one last season before the bulldozers arrive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    where in Galway is the Showgrounds Nigel? wondering is it the ground I was in the mid 90s when Radiohead were playing?
    I see this is directed at Nigel, but I live fairly close by

It's 10 minutes of a walk out of Eyre Square, passing both (BE and Citylink) Bus Stations on your right-hand side, uphill and then downhill of College Road.
    Re. Radiohead, I remember when I moved here first, someone mentioned that Radiohead gig, but it was somewhere random. Not Pearse Stadium or Connacht's one, but some local GAA pitch type thing.

They'll want to include underground parking as part of this municipal proposal as College Road is jammed with parked cars (the way the Dyke Road is) of any given Rugby Saturday and it's a pretty narrow road.

Terryland really is a lovely ground. Nice main stand, the pitch is almost always lovely to look at. It's very boxed in by the Dyke Road and nearby housing estates though so room for development is very limited. The Sportsground would be much closer to Eyre Square than Terryland so LOI fans would find it more accessible.

Edit : The Radiohead gig was in Castlegar GAA on the outskirts of the City.
    Last edited by CorribsideSteve; 12/10/2018 at 6:04 PM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    That's completely untrue. Finn Park is probably the worst ground in the league, but the away section there is a hell of a lot better, and safer, than Oriel.
    It's not the worst ground, it just has poor and old quality facilities but it's still well worth a visit and it is not as soulless as others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CorribsideSteve View Post
    I see this is directed at Nigel, but I live fairly close by

It's 10 minutes of a walk out of Eyre Square, passing both (BE and Citylink) Bus Stations on your right-hand side, uphill and then downhill of College Road.
    Re. Radiohead, I remember when I moved here first, someone mentioned that Radiohead gig, but it was somewhere random. Not Pearse Stadium or Connacht's one, but some local GAA pitch type thing.

They'll want to include underground parking as part of this municipal proposal as College Road is jammed with parked cars (the way the Dyke Road is) of any given Rugby Saturday and it's a pretty narrow road.

Terryland really is a lovely ground. Nice main stand, the pitch is almost always lovely to look at. It's very boxed in by the Dyke Road and nearby housing estates though so room for development is very limited. The Sportsground would be much closer to Eyre Square than Terryland so LOI fans would find it more accessible.

Edit : The Radiohead gig was in Castlegar GAA on the outskirts of the City.
    Castlegar Showgraounds? It was a good walk back in to the city, passed GMIT on the way.

*didnt read the last line before posting...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Not exactly surprising, but Bohs won't be out of Dalymount at the end of next season.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-37432384.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Wow that's great news for Galway United and Connacht football as a whole.
    Mon the Town!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Who needs the Saudis eh? Sounds like Galway can take on all-Comers without them.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    Not exactly surprising, but Bohs won't be out of Dalymount at the end of next season.

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-37432384.html
    Still a lot of fences to jump before building of the new Dalymount commences and it was important the club didn't find ourselves in limbo (between grounds) or away from Dalymount any longer than necessary. I think it would be hopeful in the extreme to suggest that the various stages (planning, tendering etc) would be completed in time to start work next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Do you think theyll be in by 2023 ?

Still a lot of fences to jump before building of the new Dalymount commences and it was important the club didn't find ourselves in limbo (between grounds) or away from Dalymount any longer than necessary. I think it would be hopeful in the extreme to suggest that the various stages (planning, tendering etc) would be completed in time to start work next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDMRooney View Post
    Do you think theyll be in by 2023 ?
    Difficult to know. funding, tendering and the favourite Irish past time of planning to be resolved, and that's all before the demolition / rebuilding even starts. All going well 2023 is certainly realistic but things rarely 'go well' in Irish publicly funded projects.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Difficult to know. funding, tendering and the favourite Irish past time of planning to be resolved, and that's all before the demolition / rebuilding even starts. All going well 2023 is certainly realistic but things rarely 'go well' in Irish publicly funded projects.
    What does this design mean for the shopping centre ? I know some mad *******s wanted to make the tower a listed building

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    5 years... 5 years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDMRooney View Post
    5 years... 5 years
    Funny when at the AGM last week they said three years. It's already gone two years more.

"Okay, it'll be another ten years."
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    What's taking them so long, once they get going again?