Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 149 of 412 FirstFirst ... 4999139147148149150151159199249 ... LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,980 of 8223

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Well there's a few who are OK. Terryland is included there. Showgrounds has one great stand, one open stand and a terrible stand (with a fence in the middle). Pats spent money on the open stand behind the goal last year too but I agree with the gist of your post
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,393 Posts
    Nobody is suggesting Dundalk, or any club, goes out to spend hundreds of thousands on a state of the art stand just for away fans.

A simple upgrade though isn't overly expensive. Over the space of one season along with grants and fundraising as EG was saying, a club like Dundalk with solid crowds should be able to save enough money for new safe concrete steps and some form of a roof over a small area for the fans. Stuff like that goes a long way in a small league like our own.

I've seen some very impressive stands built for not a lot of money. Letterkenny Rovers a couple of years ago built a lovely new 400 seat stand along the side of their pitch for reportedly under €100,000 euro. Most of the cost was grant money with the rest raised through fundraising.
    Not suggesting spending that much money on an all seated stand, but just pointing out, it doesn't cost a huge sum of money to build something small that is comfortable for the fans travelling sometimes a very long distance to watch a match.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I'd settle for somewhere safe where I can see 95% of the pitch. It's crazy how some fans get real defensive about their grounds. All of them, bar maybe Turners Cross and Tallaght could do with major upgrades. I think people know that most clubs can't afford them but at the very least you have to know that most aren't good enough
    The RSC received a major upgrade a few years ago with a new 1,800 seated stand built opposite the existing Cork Road stand which holds 1,300 bringing seating capacity to 3,100. It is by far the best ground in the First Division and one of the best in the League.

Its in far better nick than Inchicore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,393 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Partizan View Post
    The RSC received a major upgrade a few years ago with a new 1,800 seated stand built opposite the existing Cork Road stand which holds 1,300 bringing seating capacity to 3,100. It is by far the best ground in the First Division and one of the best in the League.

Arguable re First Division. The RSC is a poor place to watch a game, simply because you're so far away from the pitch. Superb stadium as a whole, but could definitely still do with upgrades like another exit, a perimeter wall as well as more turnstiles.
    I prefer Longford to be honest. It could do with some big upgrades too, but is a far better place to watch a match.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts

2 fine stands. No doubt about that. Personally I don't like grounds with nothing behind both goals (like Tallaght, the RSC) but for what's required it's definitely OK.

I think one of the best in the league is stretching it, but there you go.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

I don't like the RSC due to the distance from the pitch. Plus there will be issues if/when Waterford are promoted with the lack of TV gantry. The temporary one for the play-off last year was a joke and blocked off a lot of the pitch.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Agree, the rsc is a great ground facilities wise but you do feel very far away from the action, especially if something is happening on the other side of the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Nobody is suggesting Dundalk, or any club, goes out to spend hundreds of thousands on a state of the art stand just for away fans.

A simple upgrade though isn't overly expensive. Over the space of one season along with grants and fundraising as EG was saying, a club like Dundalk with solid crowds should be able to save enough money for new safe concrete steps and some form of a roof over a small area for the fans. Stuff like that goes a long way in a small league like our own.

I've seen some very impressive stands built for not a lot of money. Letterkenny Rovers a couple of years ago built a lovely new 400 seat stand along the side of their pitch for reportedly under €100,000 euro. Most of the cost was grant money with the rest raised through fundraising.
    Not suggesting spending that much money on an all seated stand, but just pointing out, it doesn't cost a huge sum of money to build something small that is comfortable for the fans travelling sometimes a very long distance to watch a match.
    Agree with everything you say. How much would it cost to put a small glorified 3 sided barn in a section of the ground? Dundalk will do something at some stage i'm sure. But as has been said over and over, and as selfish and dismissive as it seems there are simply other things that have to be done and even a few thousand euro isnt spare for non necessities.

Floodlights need serious attention and is a licensing issue; the most popular pitch in the country will either be relayed or returned to grass - consider the cost and loss of income if UEFA inspections are failed due to the surface and another ground has to be nominated. Non essential covering of areas for home supporters would be of greater financial return as if crowds up in the 3000+ turn up many of those will have to suffer the inclement weather just as away fans would.

The Shed, Stand, and Stand terracing have limited capacities and to state the obvious, with a large attendance people will get cold and wet especially when the damn gale is blowing toward the stand. I assure you that it is just as miserable in this situation - with this in mind i'd reckon covering the remaining two ends of the Shed and possibly town end terrace would get the nod before the Carrick Rd terrace.

I myself think that a minimum that must be done for away supporters is a proper permanent toilet facility before cover. The turnstiles condition that side also i feel is inexcusable where minor refurbishment can happen. Weeds, debris etc that lie behind the terrace should be gone. Rusted barbed wire should go etc and just simply have a better aesthetic, no excuses! I stood with away fans that side on a few occasions with friends from other clubs and while the view isnt perfect it is rare that so many away supporters are in attendance that people cant move to get an angle of sight. The town terrace doesnt have a remarkably better view.

Credit where credit is due, under Gerry Matthews the lane way used by away fans was tarmaced with the rest of the front concourse at significant cost, the issue of wet feet prior to this was a major bone of contention previous. The area behind the Carrick goal is no longer the danger and disgrace it was. Little improvement occurred to Oriel from the 70's which is incredible considering the huge European nights late 70's to early 90's - thats a big question asked by Dundalk fans regularly! Indeed the terrace that is getting so much discussion is the development that i most recall 1990's, along with the row of pillars under the stand canopy being removed.

The Stand has recently got a new roof, the side glass of the stand was replaced which improved view as the previous perspex was opaque unless you could look through the holes in it. Steps and walkways in the stand had to be modified to meet regulations (i know i know Pats fans have issue, how is the chap that fell anyhow?). I dont think Dundalk fans are particularly defensive about Oriel, its antiquated and just about serves purpose by todays expectations but we have to be pragmatic - it is what it is until we slowly address infrastructure issues bit by bit and in a way that, like it or not, suits Dundalk FC and our fans financially and otherwise. Im sure the club will be in for sports capital grants if and when they are available.

If I win the Euromillions i promise that I will benefact Dundalk FC the money to develop a ground to be proud of. That or we all look for municipal facilities or partnerships with, for example, DkIT. We are the same club that was formed in 1908 and have been very close to folding on far too many occasions but have hung in there, I believe now we have a decent platform to move on and address the concerns of our fellow league supporters but it will be a slow process. In the mean time maybe we could set up a stall to sell a few plastic ponchos.....it is Ireland, a country that more often or not it p#sses rain, a different beast alltogether but try standing on a grassy bank at our 'County GAA ground' in the wet, being a spectator there is more like an extreme sport in itself.

Ok thats off my chest now phew
    Last edited by Nesta99; 04/12/2013 at 7:38 PM. Reason: Paragraphs

11. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Modern facilities in the RSC, but if you sit halfway up the stand, you're 35-40 yards from the sideline.
    Last edited by gufcfan; 04/12/2013 at 3:21 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Yeah agree here RSC is a good sports ground but not a good place to watch a game of football
    54 Crew-Finn Harps FC Supporters Club
    Following Harps Home & Away
    https://www.facebook.com/54CrewFHFC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    186 Posts
    Another fella that's for the birds round here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by De Town View Post
    Another fella that's for the birds round here.
    Speaking of birds, your main stand is full of bird sh1t.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Nothing like a "your stadium is ****ter than ours" to while away the four-month off-season.

17. Thanks From:

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    On a average the amount of away fans in dundalk is 50?, sometimes less than 10 but other times 200. Cater for the average and could increase average crowds up too 75. maybe . an extra 25 away fans x 16 games @ €15 is about €375 a year, over a 20 year period = €7,500. Im not sure what you could build for €5,000 but a permanent toilet or concrete terrace behind the goal maybe. Maybe not on the top of the list of priorities for Dundalk but it would be nice.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    On a average the amount of away fans in dundalk is 50?, sometimes less than 10 but other times 200. Cater for the average and could increase average crowds up too 75. maybe . an extra 25 away fans x 16 games @ €15 is about €375 a year, over a 20 year period = €7,500. Im not sure what you could build for €5,000 but a permanent toilet or concrete terrace behind the goal maybe. Maybe not on the top of the list of priorities for Dundalk but it would be nice.
    You forgot to multiply by 16. If you're getting 25 extra away fans on average, that'll be 16 x 25 x €15 = €6000 per year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Thanks for the paragraphs, didnt realise how long the post must have looked in one block!

Ive been to many non league grounds in and around London, and also lower league grounds. Some are ok, others wouldnt be out of place in LoI OR LoI grounds wouldnt be out of place here! Off topic a little but the common ground is the sense of the ground and team belonging! Tip in to Orient at the moment (great crowds currently) but they would rather chat to a wee Dundalk fan about LoI than premiership football!

Chelmsford City's ground and Newport Stadium have a 800m track, hence Newport County moved to Rodney Parade. Chelmsford(Skrill South) have looked at moving but Colchester and Roots Hall in Southend are seen as a benchmark and City just dont have the cash. Braintree Town is a much smaller club (Skrill Premier) but a much better ground for atmosphere - have a look on google images its small but works!

Kingstonians and AFC Dons at Kingsmeadow is probably the best small ground that LoI clubs like Dundalk could take something from, lovely spot and great matchday atmosphere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Do we really need away ends?
    oh boy I'm not good at football forums

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GUFCghost View Post
    Do we really need away ends?
    Nope not at all....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CkC-YFcErk

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    833 Posts
    Speaking of birds, your main stand is full of bird sh1t.
    Never seen 1 dirty seat in CCS this season the club have made huge strides in keeping the ground tidy and in good condition and there's no doubt it's the best ground In the FD. Even our clubhouse is in supeb condition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts

Right.
    Sporting F*ck All!