Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

View Poll Results: Should John Delaney be fired?

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

111 90.24%
  • No

12 9.76%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The John Delaney Discussion thread

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

John Delaney gets permanant role

Delaney handed permanant role
    Paul O'Hehir

11/03/2005: John Delaney was today appointed chief executive officer of the FAI a permanent basis. The 37-year-old had held the position on an interim basis following Fran Rooney's acrimonious departure last November.

His appointment comes as no surprise though. He has a long family tradition with the association and agreed a number of significant financial deals for the organisation in recent weeks that bolstered his hand considerably.

But of any single act that aided Delaney’s bid, it was his intervention to smooth the fractious relationship between the FAI and the Government before Christmas.

The two sides were at loggerheads over when the chief executive's post might be publicly advertised and harmony was only restored when Delaney said the job would be open to competition before the end of the year.

His intervention secured the release of Sports Council funding to the association which the Government threatened to withold.

Delaney's appointment will be welcomed at grass-roots level with many believing the Waterford man is the right figure to drive the game forward in Ireland.

The position - something of a poisoned chalice down the years - was formally advertised on December 31st and Delaney's appointment today brings to a close a process that reportedly saw up to 40 people interviewed.

It is believed between seven and 10 candidates were put forward for a final round yesterday.

All were interviewed by a five-man panel made up of FAI president Milo Corcoran, secretary Michael Cody, Sports Council / FAI Liason group representative Con Haugh, Sport's Council nominee Ronnie McBrien and Dublin City manager John Fitzgerald.

Speaking before Christmas when accepting the interim role, Delaney stressed an urgent need for the FAI to get "back-to-basics" and to "concentrate on football matters."

He echoed those sentiments today.

"The development of the game throughout the community as we implement the FAI's Technical Development Plan is an absolute priority," he said.

"We have huge challenges in getting our children interested and active in football and we must invest heavily now in order to reap the benefits in the next ten years."

Delaney has put the redevelopment of Lansdowne Road at the top of his 'to-do' list. The former FAI treasurer said the stadium project was "critical to the future of the game."

The relocation of the FAI offices from Merrion Square to the new Sports Campus at Abbotstown is also a priority if, as expected, the move gets government approval in the coming weeks.

FAI President Milo Corcoran said Delaney's passion for sport, twinned with his experience as a businessman and knowledge of the game was beneficial to the association.

"Great progress has been made over the past three months and I am looking forward to that progress continuing apace under the stewardship of John Delaney," he said.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    No suprise. The never intended on appointing anyone other than Delaney even though they interviewed 40 people.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 11/03/2005 at 5:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    Delaney handed permanant role
    TO DO WHAT, EXACTLY ??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81

His appointment comes as no surprise though. He has a long family tradition with the association
    Says it all really.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    shock horror

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Pronane, I think the main reason he's disliked is because of his failure to implement Genesis despite publicly putting his head on the block saying he'd do so within a year. He rigidly insisted Buckley got the role of Finance Director without putting the position open to the public, which just smacked of "same old, same old".

Funnily enough a pal of mine was introduced to him at a party in December. My mate said "to be honest John, I have to say I'm not a big fan of yours" . JD asked why not. My mate couldn't think of any of the reasons and had to admit he just didn't like him, no particular reason!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pronane
    alot of people are against john delaney, i might be a bit of a dope, but what are the main reasonings behind this?
    The FAI needs to be run with some level of efficiency and the past decade of in-fighting, financial ****-ups and machiavllian coups have pretty much destroyed any confidence the average Irish soccer supporter has in the FAI. The appointment of Fran Rooney was a break from the past in that he was someone with a business background who seemed capable of running a large organisation. He mightn't have been perfect and I'm not saying he was a saviour or anything but he was better than the likes of Brendan Menton, Louis Kilcoyne, etc.

His shafting by John Delaney will eventually go down as just another pathetic coup. The organisation is not headed by someone who is concerned with the Genesis report, with streamlining the FAI and making it something that can actually deliver, it's headed by just another FAI stooge.

Quote from the Cass report into Merriongate: "If the Association is to achieve credibility as a competent, imaginative and professional governing body for Irish soccer, it needs to press ahead with a major overhaul of its decision-making structures and administration." Does anyone think that's going to happen? Maybe it will and I'm being unfairly cynical but I don't think Delaney is the person to revamp the FAI and get rid of the wasters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I think Delaney was also responsible for telling Mick to negotiate a "bonus payment" from the FAI in 2002, something which was outside of his contract and which cost the FAI about 200,000 euros. This hardly served his employer's interest.

John O'Brien of the Sunday Times, whose view I tend to respect, is a fan of Delaney though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    I think Delaney was also responsible for telling Mick to negotiate a "bonus payment" from the FAI in 2002, something which was outside of his contract and which cost the FAI about 200,000 euros. This hardly served his employer's interest.

John O'Brien of the Sunday Times, whose view I tend to respect, is a fan of Delaney though.
    disappointed but not in the least surprised at Delaney getting the job. I sincerley hope the non-in house FAI candidates demand to see the interview panels notes under FOI act.

As for John O'Brien -I dunno what his motivation is for liking Delaney or thinking he'll be any better than the Mentons and Kilcoynes -but I know that while he writes quite well technically -I generally wouldn't p i ss on his opinions as they're usually based in his being a ManU lovin' muppet.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    John Delaney is a student of Macchiavelli.
    Everyone person that he promoted - McCarthy, Menton and Rooney, he subsequently shafted. And all to benefit his own position.

Now lets see what he does for the game in this country.

But if he fails, he will no doubt get a huge pay-off, i'd say its in his contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He's really trying his best to get the fans on his side.
    A big thank you to all supporters who responded to the recent survey in connection with travel to and from games. The survey is being undertaken to gather information which will be really important in planning the new stadium.

Almost 50% of those who received the questionnaire responded. A really fantastic response.

All those responding go into a draw for a pair of tickets for the World Cup qualifier with France. Such has been the response, however, that the FAI has decided to increase that to three pairs of tickets. The three lucky winners will hear of their good fortune shortly.

Again on behalf of the FAI and Lansdowne Road Stadium Development Company a big thank you to all who participated.

We will be carrying out a similar survey at the Ireland v China game. Even if you have previously replied we would ask you to do so again.

John Delaney
    Chief Executive Officer

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    googley eyed prat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic
    John Delaney is a student of Macchiavelli.
    Everyone person that he promoted - McCarthy, Menton and Rooney, he subsequently shafted. And all to benefit his own position.
    John Gotti was a student of Machiavelli.
    Every person that he made a made man in the Gambino Family, he subsequently shafted, or shot more like, all to benefit his own position,

Do we have an organised mob leader on our hands??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    "Such has been the response, however, that the FAI has decided to increase that to three pairs of tickets"

Jaysus fair play to him

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Surely there should be some kind of a boycott. Perhaps refusing to buy the next strip they bring out or something.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Interview with John Delaney

Extracts only -

" For our home internationals we have 36k seats, 32k go to regular block bookers, remainder going to away fans corporate sponsors and the media.

( re Croke Park) - " there will be the guts of 76k in attendance. - when you consider 32k go to blockbookers and the GAA will hold the premium that will take us to 42K. The germans and the Welsh FA's have informed us that the intend to take up their full allocation of 7k. Then we are on to 20k or so seats which people on the waiting list will want access to.
    We intend to deal with some of those on the waiting list, but definitely their won't be any trouble selling out - for sheer novelty alone Kilkenny City v Waterford Utd would attract 76K to Croke Park"

" the only conundrum is that we don't expect 7000 Slovakians or Cypriots to attend, but either way we intend to put the away fans on Hill 16 which is a perfect location in terms of security and segregation."

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Sorry, forget to mention source,

- Kilkenny People, Wed 19/04/2006

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Fair play to him for using his hometown club for a sly dig there

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    when you consider 32k go to blockbookers and the GAA will hold the premium that will take us to 42K.
    I must have missed this small detail before, the GAA hold onto 10,000 premium seats, which is about €1m in ticket sales?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo
    Fair play to him for using his hometown club for a sly dig there

I don't think it was a sly dig, he was merely putting the situation in a local context.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast