Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confusion over date for Derry game

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Confusion over date for Derry game....!

The stories about the date for the Derry game are growing arms and legs. Everything from being forced to playing it at Landsdowne Road ( what a load of crap ) to having to suit the "Travelling Derry Army" ( of 30 people ?????) thus playing it @ midday Sunday ( a disaster for atmosphere ).

Why is it an issue, when we have to play them in the League up there on a Thursday night, later in the year? I say tell them shove it and play it on Friday night @ 7.45 ( with the customary 15 min. delay ).

In relation to the Landsdowne Rd affair it could only take the likes of the FAI to come up with a pee-brained idea like this mid-season. Just when one of their Teams finally starts to draw in big crowds, they threaten to move a potentially "Full House" out of the City and 180 miles away. As the saying goes, "If they had two brains they would rattle"

They should be promoting the City v. Derry game on TV and taking the opportunity to promote the game with pictures and live shots of a LOI ground actually full and buzzing with atmosphere......they obviously missed the opportunity last Friday. I'd say there probably wasn't one FAI official in the Cross for the Rovers game......too far to travel!!!!!!

There incompetance really is hard to stomach at times and it's only us in this country that would put up with it.

They're an absolute mess.

brandywellpride
    Counting Crow..........you are a muppet!!!!!

Derry and Cork always play against each other on a week-end since time began!

As for the 30 away fans.......you obviouslt dont know much about our league when you say that.

Within 18hrs of the draw being made I have filled two buses and DCFC have had 60 ppl looking for seats on the plane.

The game should be played on a weekend as was always the case but your chairman is acting like a prat and insisting the game bes played on a friday fecking night!!!!!!!!!

Seán dc

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Sunday is out because it clashes with the GAA but friday night is a bit unfair on the Derry Fans, there must be some other reason why Saturday night is outMaybe Brian doesn't want to pay his staff time and a half on a Saturday.
    It's only just begun...............
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by brandywellpride
    Counting Crow..........you are a muppet!!!!!

Derry and Cork always play against each other on a week-end since time began!

The game should be played on a weekend as was always the case but your chairman is acting like a prat and insisting the game bes played on a friday fecking night!!!!!!!!!

Seán dc
    No It shouldn't, it is the Cork Chairman's perogrative tp play the game when he chooses. Personally I would prefer a saturday but it is the club's call. after all it's a cup game
    john flynn? - awesome!!!!!!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Apparently Bohs are writing to the FAI requesting tie V Rovers be switched from Sunday to the Friday night.
    Why can't City play on the Saturday night?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by vssn
    Apparently Bohs are writing to the FAI requesting tie V Rovers be switched from Sunday to the Friday night.
    Why can't City play on the Saturday night?
    as i said I would love if it was on a saturday. on the offical site the time is confirmed for a friday. so it looks like it is set in stone.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    TV rights!!!!
    Friday and Sunday are the two days they want.
    Gardai don't want Scum v Bohs on Friday night re trouble and GAA on SUnday classes with Cork so thus the times
    If the last 21 years were class, here's looking forward to the next 21 years. It is our time

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Dricky
    but friday night is a bit unfair on the Derry Fans, .
    and it was fair on us to go to donegal on a saturday and dublin on a monday ?
    soccer isn't a matter of life or death its more important than that!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Provincial Clubs

Lads, myself as a Derry fan and all youse are Cork fans must know by now that the Provinicial Clubs in the League always get a bum deal from the authorities

However in League games we have alwasy mad ethe efort to accommodate Cork and vice versa, such as the noon kick off for the League game earlier in the season

However similiar to some other points made, surely a Saturday night game coul have ben an acceptable compromise in the whole affair.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Provincial Clubs

Originally posted by Maribor
    Lads, myself as a Derry fan and all youse are Cork fans must know by now that the Provinicial Clubs in the League always get a bum deal from the authorities

However in League games we have alwasy mad ethe efort to accommodate Cork and vice versa, such as the noon kick off for the League game earlier in the season

However similiar to some other points made, surely a Saturday night game coul have ben an acceptable compromise in the whole affair.
    if it means we beat a very tired derry team and get to the cup final it will be worth it. sorry to be cruel but ye would do the same.

anyway there is no point in getting at the fans talk to the chairman. the game will be a full house i reckon anyway- at the most there will be a 100 derry fans anyway.

it would suit me personally if it was on a sunday or sat but that ain't going to happen

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    and it was fair on us to go to donegal on a saturday and dublin on a monday ?
    Saturday you can travel easier unless your working weekend and Dublin is not a problem to get to Derry however is an f*ckin nightmare.....
    how many CCFC supporters live in Derry?

Still think FAI could of organised it better dates wise.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    It should be on Friday night.
    I think I read on a previous post that Derry made Waterford travel up on a Thursday night.
    I think to fully benefit from the home advantage we need it on a Friday night, in front of a huge home crowd.

You can be sure Derry would do us no favours if the tables were turned.
    Obviously the league agreement between the 2 clubs goes out the window here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts

Out the window

That's what i am saying lads- this decision could put the previosu amicable relationship between clubs at risk.

I am certain now that if we manage to get a draw at the Cross that Derry will ensure the replay will be a Thursday night. If a Friday night is bad for us lot I imagine that Thursday will be a complete nightmare for youse.

As for fan numbers I would say that there will be more than a hundred- there are already apparently 70 names down for the propsed chartered plane from Derry to Cork and this is added to by at least a couple of buses that will make the trip
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Yeah, the friday night is tough on you alright. We'd be upset if it was the other way around. I would have thought saturday night would have been the fairest, but anything other than that awful 12noon sunday kick off- it always destroys the athmosphere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Originally posted by Éanna
    Yeah, the friday night is tough on you alright. We'd be upset if it was the other way around. I would have thought saturday night would have been the fairest, but anything other than that awful 12noon sunday kick off- it always destroys the athmosphere.
    Hear Hear .... Saturday would be better.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Lightbulb

As said already it would be a shame to ruin an otherwise good relationship for the sake of one game.

If the FAI & tv dictating the dates then not too much the clubs can do about it.

If its citys call saturday night would be a good compromise as any away fans travelling would not be likely to be travelling straight back to Derry anyway.

If we can't stand together what hope have we against the pale teams.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Its just had to be a friday/saturday night, a 12noon sunday kick-off would have ruined the atmosphere, taken a bit away from the crowd and IMO ruined the whole occasion that the semi final should be.
    My biggest worry now is that we draw and have to travel to derry midweek.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I cannot believe what I am reading here. For the first time in 18 years we are playing matches at a time that seems to suit the general Cork public.

Friday nights have proven to be a success.

Fair enough City have an agreement with Derry for League games...... this is however the Cup. Can you imagine Barcelona facilitating R Madrid, or Leeds doing so for Man U?

Wake up and smell the roses everyone. When it comes to this stage in any competion then you look after yourself. Nothing against Derry. We do have a good relationship.

In my opinion, however, this time we suit ourselves.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    damn right
    i mean we are potentially only 90mins away from a cup final, and 180 away from europe

being nice to derry is one thing, but euro footie is something else alltogether..why lessen our chances of getting there at this stage

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [SIZE=1]Lads lads lads...[/SIZE]
    Ye're forgetting about the competition, the reason that football is never played on a Saturday night....

The Premiership & Match of the Day. The bar stool fans know where their priority is & they aint going to be leaving that warm bar.

Personally Id rather if it was on the Sat or Sun, but getting through to the final is more important than 'sticking together' with Derry. Thats life, what can you do?
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast