• Other

24 12.24%
Page 4 of 126 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: New Irish manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    i would admit that its pretty unlikely a kerr team of the same players would have lost 5-2 to cyprus -we probably would have gotten a 0-0
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hey

we lost 5 - 2

THATS THE LEVEL OF OUR CURRENT PLAYERS MINUS THE GREAT MAN SHAY GIVEN TO SAVE THEIR ALL TOo PLAIN TO SEE INEPTITUDE

wake up to the reality of the players we have and what they are really about at this level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Don't you get it?! We're one of the worst teams in europe. What Kerr did was get the players to OVER achieve those 0-0 results. The players have found their rightful level. Look at the spine of the Swiss team and our spine and tell me that man for man they are not 10 times better (Senderos, Vogel, Frei, Yakin) than ours...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    yeah but this is cyprus we're talking about here. it was still nearly an all premiership outfit-man for man we're not up to the swiss but bloody hell we should be still able to beat cyprus or at least not leak 5 goals!
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as_i_say View Post
    yeah but this is cyprus we're talking about here. it was still nearly an all premiership outfit-man for man we're not up to the swiss but bloody hell we should be still able to beat cyprus or at least not leak 5 goals!
    Agree, and Kerr did beat them (BTW some of their players play regular champions league)
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would tread very carefully around a team that could boast a current CL standard goal scorer - they demand a certain level of respect - its clear the ireland set up and players didnt appreciate just what they were dealing with

cyprus for the record also gave a bloody good account of themselves v the aforementioned swiss and french IN cyprus - where they are a totally different proposition to away from home

we needed to be prepared and have done our homework - we clearly went in with the arrogance of "sure its only fcking cyprus"

the gas part was Kerr was co commentator on TV3 - and even from this limited evidence appeared to know more about Cyprus and their players than I guess poor ol stan and laurel did from the evidence of the defending on display
    Last edited by wws; 07/10/2006 at 10:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    as I say thats the point. we wouldnt have leaked 5 goals if the team was well organised. it wasnt and we did. worse to come on wed. the day you start dismissing 4 nil home defeats as irrelevant cause its a friendly is the day you sow the seeds for shipping 5 goals away to cyprus. Fact is there are a lot of players who play in the premiership. Our ones are drawn from the lower end of the food chain...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    yes they are an improved side-i'd compare them with the likes of albania and they definitely deserved respect after what they nearly did to us the last time but i think the manner of the defeat is so shocking. had we lost 1-0 or something i'm not sure it would have been a shock, just a natural progression of the last few results. in general our players are of a higher standard so the whole thing is still quite appaling.
    I

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    The FAI would look like even bigger gobshítes if they offered the job back to Kerr. He wouldn't take the job anyway after the way he was fúcked about with.
    Quote Originally Posted by backtowalsall View Post
    Co Adriaanse - Available, clean slate for all the players, Dutch, so probably good English

Curbishley - Available, successful, perhaps lacking a bit in passion, but good all round

Big Sam - Maybe available soon, gritty, gets the best out of players, ideal i would say

Louis Van Gaal - At AZ Alkmaar, we would be a bigger fish surely and he didn't get his reputation for nothing

Alex Mcleish - ex-Rangers, would annoy the Celtic shirt wearing saturday night rebel element of the fan base, a good thing imho. I think he could do well

Gary Megson - Could do well, available cheapish

Bryan Robson - Available, cheap, the sort of idiot they could go for

David O'Leary - For the love of God no!!!
    Add Stephen Kenny to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    Kerr got us FOURTH . . . behind ISRAEL.
    Quote Originally Posted by joema View Post
    Kerr was crap - he got sacked
    Luck was not with us in that campaign. One more goal against Israel twice, Switzerland, France and we would have qualified. Fourth wasn't too bad considering the narrow margin between 1st and 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by d f x- View Post
    Is it that bad for some people that Kerr actually looks like he did well?

He was better than Staunton, by just simply reverting to hoofball and keeping everyone back - I'll never forget that performance in Israel.

He looks better than Staunton because he has managed at some level. Staunton hasn't. The call for kerr to be sacked was on the basis that we could get a manager that (a) has managed (Stan fails) and (b) try something new with the side (where Kerr failed)

Go back and watch that Switzerland home game to see the future under Kerr and the painful inevitability of the 0-0 draw.
    So you think losing 5-2 to Cyprus is better than that. Results are the most important thing you worry about. Style of play is a minor detail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    hmm dunno about the luck thing at all. we were leading 1-0 in israel and went completely defensive-a goal was always on the cards. at 2-0 up at home he brought on kavanagh when keane got injured instead of going for the win. we WERE lucky to win in cyprus.

we could have played for 500 minutes and not scored a goal against the swiss at home when we needed a win. away against the swiss we were just bullied out of it after a good start and were lucky to get a draw.

same thing against france at home-we were never gonna concede that many but again never looked like scoring a goal against france. that for me was the poorest thing about kerr's teams-we never looked like truly beating those teams and had we taken more chances and been more positive we could have put israel away twice.
    I

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    we mised the boat with bennhakker after the world cup( trinidad coach) - now with poland. top class coach. Klinsmann needs work, and the irish climate being so similiar to the californian one may make him an option.
    seriously, would'nt mind seing curbishley - seems like a nice chap - and speaks sense. aldo would be my favorite, would love a houghton, or kevin moran either. i really thought it was a joke when the FAI announced staunton. did the drag through the character profiles of the last 20 years irish squads,and decide on the one with the least spark?

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Stephen Kenny. Pride, passion, excellent management- prepararion, man management, tactical nous, GETS THE BEST OUT OF HIS PLAYERS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    How about Don Givens or Dave Bassett?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've got the perfect canidiate, Delaney.
    He's got us into this mess, he must be the one to lead us out of it. He has to know something about the game, right. I mean he is in charge of the Football Association of a country which has so a rich traditionion of football such as ours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    hmm dunno about the luck thing at all. we were leading 1-0 in israel and went completely defensive-a goal was always on the cards. at 2-0 up at home he brought on kavanagh when keane got injured instead of going for the win. we WERE lucky to win in cyprus.

we could have played for 500 minutes and not scored a goal against the swiss at home when we needed a win. away against the swiss we were just bullied out of it after a good start and were lucky to get a draw.

same thing against france at home-we were never gonna concede that many but again never looked like scoring a goal against france. that for me was the poorest thing about kerr's teams-we never looked like truly beating those teams and had we taken more chances and been more positive we could have put israel away twice.
    ....just like Guus Hiddinks Russia managed at home tonight after going 1 up v Israel at home.
    #
    question : do you think we'd beat Israel tomorrow?

I dont think so.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hold on a second were all forgetting that Stan has a contract for four years which means the FAI have to pay him his wages in compensation if they sack him.Considering how much the redevelopment of Landsdowne will cost,they just dont have the money.

However i would love Curbishly to get it as he would be an English manager manging Ireland in Croke Park!The GAA would love it!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Givens Out!

Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    How about Don Givens or Dave Bassett?
    Givens is part of the problem,not part of the solution.He should be removed from his position as soon as possible.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Joe Kinnear given a go.Failing that it would be nice to appoint a manager with some experience as opposed to one whose previous experience was coaching at a League 1 club.Either that or give Kerr another chance,which I know definately won't happen.
    Last edited by Scratchy; 07/10/2006 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Sven.....
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Luck was not with us in that campaign. One more goal against Israel twice, Switzerland, France and we would have qualified. Fourth wasn't too bad considering the narrow margin between 1st and 4th.

So you think losing 5-2 to Cyprus is better than that. Results are the most important thing you worry about. Style of play is a minor detail.
    Kerr's tactics with the limited team got us 0-0 draws. We were lucky to escape a defeat against Switzerland at home, Israel at home we went 451 and Israel away well 1-0 up in four minutes and the same for Cyprus....I'll say nothing. We actually played Cyprus off the pitch for 8 minutes under Kerr, looked a good team, got the lead and sat back and he didn't seem to do anything about it. It wasn't luck, it was just about as much as we could get in the group when we were playing so defensively. When the time came for Kerr to do something different at home to Switzerland, he couldn't. He failed. He was better getting results than Staunton, but then Kerr does have some semblance of management - it's an unfair advantage Kerr is not the solution - he did better than Staunton, but that wouldn't be hard.

The 'advantage' of this 5-2 defeat is that brings some blinkered eyes to the problem in the country. Read Billy Lord's posts, Stuttgart88 as well - the problem lies much deeper than being able to scrap a 0-0 draw in Cyprus. Cyprus are the tenth worst team in Europe, Cork City beat their champions of the league which many of their players are sourced. There is something seriously seriously wrong if we can't beat them. Playing negatively and scraping a 0-0 draw is not solving the problem, it just looks better than 5-2.
    Last edited by dfx-; 07/10/2006 at 11:28 PM.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d f x- View Post
    Kerr's tactics with the limited team got us 0-0 draws. We were lucky to escape a defeat against Switzerland at home, Israel at home we went 451 and Israel away well 1-0 up in four minutes and the same for Cyprus....I'll say nothing. We actually played Cyprus off the pitch for 8 minutes under Kerr, looked a good team, got the lead and sat back and he didn't seem to do anything about it. It wasn't luck, it was just about as much as we could get in the group when we were playing so defensively. When the time came for Kerr to do something different at home to Switzerland, he couldn't. He failed. He was better getting results than Staunton, but then Kerr does have some semblance of management - it's an unfair advantage Kerr is not the solution - he did better than Staunton, but that wouldn't be hard.

The 'advantage' of this 5-2 defeat is that brings some blinkered eyes to the problem in the country. Read Billy Lord's posts, Stuttgart88 as well - the problem lies much deeper than being able to scrap a 0-0 draw in Cyprus. Cyprus are the tenth worst team in Europe, Cork City beat their champions of the league which many of their players are sourced. There is something seriously seriously wrong if we can't beat them. Playing negatively and scraping a 0-0 draw is not solving the problem, it just looks better than 5-2.

i guarantee you dfx that cyprus will pose a threat to one of the big three in our group (in cyprus)

they wont win 5-2 any time again but to dismeiss them as mugs in many ways shows up how ingrained the delusion about our current crop of players is

I'd have okkas and constandinho over ANY irish player of the last 4 years, and that is a fact!

Page 4 of 126 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast