• Other

24 12.24%
Page 3 of 126 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: New Irish manager

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the only laughable thing is the lerprechaun army - baying for blood at the end of teh last campaign - not realising just how poor the current crop and how over hyped they are - than fantasising over dreams of Martin O Neill or Guus hIDDINK SAVING THE DAY - TWO CLEVER MEN who wouldnt touch a sinking ship in a million years - no matter what money you offered them

so we end up with stan and the shambles that we witnessed tonight

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    So Kerr was a roaring success, then?
    With Kerr we were in it untill the last match, now we appear to be out after the second.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Kerr's defence was always exceptional.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    we dont have the players full stop.
    Cyprus would be delighted to be able to have players in the first team at Man United, Liverpool, Spurs, Newcastle, Celtic etc.
    We may not have a Giles, Brady, McGrath or Keane at the moment, but the idea that our problems are due to our resources is utterly laughable. Plenty of teams have done far better with less talented individuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Kerr's defence was always exceptional.
    Most of them seem to be on here.
    Last edited by Fivesilver; 07/10/2006 at 9:15 PM.
    "Even if the wind stops to blow
    Even if the sea ceases to flow
    Even if the sun ceases to rise
    The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning star glittering in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    yeah they would be. but seeing as they havent qualified for NOTHING EVER we shouldnt really be taking that much comfort from it.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I have to say I kind of liked Kerr as manager and certainly didnt want him sacked. One problem with him was he didnt include enough Eircom League players, probably afraid to, but he was a million times better than Stan.

Delaney wanted someone who would send the team out with a bit of heart was it Was that what he was talking about tonight? That was easily worse than anything Kerr did.

Kerr made mistakes and by the end he probably should have held his hands up and not blamed the media but no manager is going to do everything correct, thats football.

I'd have Kerr back in a flash...
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Kerr back as manager? No thanks.

Kerr back as President of the FAI, with government & private investment and carte blanche to fundamentally reconstruct all aspects of Irish football? Yes please (sorry JB, not disregarding your personal experience).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with the school of thought that says Kerr never developed a second string of cover that could perform credibly for us when needed, and some of those chickens came home to roost today.
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el punter View Post
    I agree with the school of thought that says Kerr never developed a second string of cover that could perform credibly for us when needed, and some of those chickens came home to roost today.
    el punter i strongly disagree (as player development is a function of the clubs those players play with, NOT a function of an international manager)

the idea that international teams develop players is fanciful

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    no i didnt see the game (nowhere to see it where i am), have only read reports so you'll have to forgive me for that. we had a depleted team tonight but it was still a team consisting of 10 premiership players but i just dont understand what this bring back kerr stuff is about. he had a campaign and a half, and while at the moment we do look utterly shambolic, we werent much better under kerr.

we never looked like beating ANY top team ever and i believe his conservatism contributed to our downfall in the last group. our 2 displays against the swiss were the most heartless i had ever seen, it just wasnt working for him a thte end- he had lost the confidence of the players- sure we were incredibly lucky to get a 1-0 in cyprus, we could easily have lost that game-what would the kerr backers have said then?

i believe it was right to let him go at the end of the last campaign but the FAI idiots made the colossal mistake of appointing a man who surely must have failed junior cert english as his replacement.

players need to be motivated-staunton is not capabale of this but the players need to take a good look at themselves now as well.
    I

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

ME

I'm Willing To Throw My Hat Into The Ring. I'm 17 & Know How To Pick An Irish Squad Unlike Stan. I'm A Well Sought After Manager On Champ Manager My Achievements Include:-scottish 3rd & 2nd Division Champion/ Runner-up Scottish Challenge Cup With Gretna.
    -fa Cup Winner With Sheff United
    -scottish League Cup Winner(x2)/league Winners(x2)/scottish Cup Winners(x2) With Celtic.
    I've Also Won A Couple Of Premierships & Champions Leagues On Fifa With Man Utd.
    Well I've Stated My Case If That Doesn't Make Me A Shoe In Pick Alan Curbishley.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    I think bringing back Kerr would be stomping over old ground. Let's have someone with pedigree at managing over paid, under achieving senior internationals

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws View Post
    el punter i strongly disagree (as player development is a function of the clubs those players play with, NOT a function of an international manager)

the idea that international teams develop players is fanciful
    International teams are not responsible for developing players, but players develop as international footballers by getting experience representing their country. They play a different type of football against different types of opposition than they do with their club and so need exposure to it to be able to perform competently when needed. Exclusively fielding the best XI in friendly internationals leaves us short of a plan B when one is needed.
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    International teams are not responsible for developing players, but players develop as international footballers by getting experience representing their country. They play a different type of football against different types of opposition than they do with their club and so need exposure to it to be able to perform competently when needed. Exclusively fielding the best XI in friendly internationals leaves us short of a plan B when one is needed.
    A little unfair as plenty of players got their debuts under Kerr but frindlies mean so little these days that they'd learn more playing for their clubs than friendlies no one else cares about
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Exclusively fielding the best XI in friendly internationals leaves us short of a plan B when one is needed.
    I think Kerr had the right idea about not blooding too many players in friendlies he just took it too far. I think he used the logic of not trying players who unproven at club level yet which has a certain logic to it.
    Staunton on the other hand will bring 16 year kids into the squad & give international debuts to players before they evem make club debuts.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Is it that bad for some people that Kerr actually looks like he did well?

He was better than Staunton, by just simply reverting to hoofball and keeping everyone back - I'll never forget that performance in Israel.

He looks better than Staunton because he has managed at some level. Staunton hasn't. The call for kerr to be sacked was on the basis that we could get a manager that (a) has managed (Stan fails) and (b) try something new with the side (where Kerr failed)

Go back and watch that Switzerland home game to see the future under Kerr and the painful inevitability of the 0-0 draw.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I think Kerr had the right idea about not blooding too many players in friendlies he just took it too far. I think he used the logic of not trying players who unproven at club level yet which has a certain logic to it.
    Staunton on the other hand will bring 16 year kids into the squad & give international debuts to players before they evem make club debuts.
    Kerr wanted a club-type professionalism with the national side. He wanted everyone to be drilled on organisation, tactics and all that's expected of them.

Our players want regular mini holidays away from their clubs - Stan's giving them that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Bray in Belfield Friday night, that sh1te tonight- how much misery can one man take??? And the great news is the idiot who gave the job to Staunton, after promising a 'world class manager' now has his hands on the eircom league. Where's me rope?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by d f x- View Post
    Go back and watch that Switzerland home game to see the future under Kerr and the painful inevitability of the 0-0 draw.

I'd bite your hand off for a 0-0 in Cyprus if you offered it to me before this game. We were always gonna struggle against these - but the extent of the shambles was the shock

im a total kerr fan - knows what hes about (knows damn well what we have on our hands squad wise - i personally dont rate many of them I have to be honest and just say that as I ve consistently said on this forum that some of them are completely overhyped )

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wws View Post
    I'd bite your hand off for a 0-0 in Cyprus if you offered it to me before this game. We were always gonna struggle against these - but the extent of the shambles was the shock
    As Stuttgart88 has said somewhere, getting a 'crappy waxy' result tonight would be only fooling ourselves. Bringing Kerr back would be doing likewise. A crappy lucky 0-0 draw or even 0-1 win is of no use 'going forward'.

They're something like the tenth worst team in Europe - 0-0 or 0-1 is not good enough.
    The Model Club

Tell all the Bohs you know
    that we've gone and won two-in-a-row
    and it's not gonna be three
    and it's not gonna be four
    it's more likely to be 5-1.

Page 3 of 126 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast