Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Team For The Czech Republic Game

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    So who's actually left? Whatever about his management skills, the man's a jinx.
    Then truly, Charlton was blessed.

Stutts are you quoting yourself in the sig?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    The Irish boss has confirmed that he will give a first senior cap to West Bromwich Albion defender Paul McShane.

McShane will play alongside Steve Finnan, John O'Shea and Stephen Kelly in a makeshift back four.

From RTE - at least O'Brien isn't playing!!!
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I am guessing

Henderson

Kelly O Shea Mc Shane Finnan

Duff Carsley Quinn Reid Kilbane

Keane
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    I am guessing

Henderson

Kelly O Shea Mc Shane Finnan

Duff Carsley Quinn Reid Kilbane

Keane
    AFAIK the back four has been confirmed. It's Finnan, JOSH, McShane, Kilbane.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Then truly, Charlton was blessed.

Stutts are you quoting yourself in the sig?
    Tongue in cheek remark about the jinx.

Can't I add my own remarks as my signature?

If I'd left it unchanged it'd still read "why all the pessimism? Cheer up" or whatever.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Good luck Paul McShane. Hope you show what you're capable of.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I dont want to give Stan a get out (and I wonder how many injuries are due to poor quality trainign and/or demorilisation) but how many injuries do we have. If we are looking at players who would get into this team I'd say

Given
    Kenny
    Carr
    O'Brien
    Harte
    McGeady
    Kavanagh
    S Reid
    Doyle
    Ireland
    Miller
    Joey O'Brien

plus Dunne suspended

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He did confirm it but its the back four that I have not the one you have down.

More misery for Staunton as quintet ruled out

Aiden McGeady is attended to by Irish medical staff after going over on his ankle during training today

Paul O'Hehir

10/10/2006: There is further misery today for beleaguered Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton with news that another five of his squad are ruled out of tomorrow's qualifier with the Czech Republic because of injury.

Goalkeeper Paddy Kenny, defender Andy O'Brien, midfielders Stephen Ireland and Aiden McGeady and striker Kevin Doyle all miss the game and four of the five have already returned to their clubs.

Only O'Brien - whose ankle is too swollen to play following a knock in the defeat to Cyprus - has stayed in Dublin but Staunton says the Portsmouth man has no chance of proving his fitness.

Kenny and Ireland, both of whom failed to train yesterday, had scans on hamstring injuries, the damning results of which Staunton received this morning.

While Staunton appeared resigned to losing the pair when speaking in Malahide yesterday he was more upbeat on Doyle's chances. But the striker, despite pleasing the manager during that session, failed to shake off his ankle injury and his loss is a particular blow.

Then there's McGeady who, according to Staunton, injured his ankle in a "freak accident" during training.

"It is all just typical of what has been happening at the moment," Staunton said today.

"I'm not making excuses but I don't think there are many countries that could cope with an injury crisis like this. We'll more than likely have a full squad for San Marino next month, that's the way my luck has gone. But I ask the public to stand by us, we will get it right."

As a consequence of those injuries - twinned with the earlier losses of Shay Given, Steven Reid, Graham Kavanagh and Stephen Elliott, to name but a few - Staunton has finally decided to call upon in-form Everton midfielder Lee Carsley.

The 32-year-old joined up with the squad this morning and was put through his paces at Lansdowne Road.

Carsley - capped 29 time - has spent the last two-and-a-half years in retirement after choosing to focus on club football. But recently he has contacted Staunton expressing a wish to be considered for future internationals.

Staunton overlooked the player when naming his initial squad for this double-header but following the injury crisis he has been forced into a dramatic about turn.

"Lee is an experienced pro," says Staunton. "He's been fine and is always committed to whatever you ask of him."

Staunton also confirmed his back-four for tomorrow's game. Steve Finnan and Stephen Kelly will play in the corners while West Brom youngster Paul McShane will win his first cap when he partners John O'Shea at centre back.

The manager has faced heavy criticism following Saturday's shambolic defeat to Cyprus but is adamant that no matter what the outcome of tomorrow's match, he will remain on as manager.

"I'm going to be here no matter what happens," he stated. "I'll still be here next month. We are what we are, but I'm proud to be Irish. I know we'll get a great reception and we'll be out to show what we can do."

He says both he and his players will take criticism "on the chin" but believes the disappointment of the weekend is now behind them.

"The mood is very, very good," Staunton says. "The players know what's been going on (media criticism) but they're lucky that they can go out tomorrow and put it right. I can't. I want to see passion for the green jersey, and for them to do their utmost
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If the media are correct then we know the back 4 and keeper. I can't see Kilbane being dropped after all the injuries while Duff and Keane are certain to play. Knowing that:

----------Henderson------------
    Kelly--O'Shea--McShane--Finnan
    Reid---Carsley---Kilbane---Duff
    -------Keane---Morrison--------

I think all those will definitely play with the possible exception of Morrison. Maybe Duff will play up front or he'll go 4-5-1 but I can't see him playing Lee.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Please can he learn and see that Kilbane is not a central midfielder. He would be better putting Andy Reid or Alan Quinn in the centre and Kilbane out left and Duff out right.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Please can he learn and see that Kilbane is not a central midfielder. He would be better putting Andy Reid or Alan Quinn in the centre and Kilbane out left and Duff out right.
    Well you'd think after watching KK last few central midfield performances for us that Stan would notice he cannot play in that position.

I'm happy as long as KK doesn't start - O'Brien, Reid, Quinn and Carsley are all more deserving of a start.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Seems to be conflicting reports as to whether its Kelly or Kilbane at fullback?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I'd also drop Kilbane but it's not going to happen so there's no point in leaving him out of your team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Where has it been reported that Kilbane is playing left back I would be happy with that to be honest as it means he is not in midfield.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I've read more reports with Kelly in team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Viking he has already named his back four so you can guess 3-5-2 all you like but you would be wrong.

The Back four is

Kelly O Shea, Mc Shane Finnan with Henderson in goals.
    In Trap we trust

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Oh no... jesus wept!

If that is true then it is the end with O'Shea and Kilbane in any defensive line we would struggle against any team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Lads it says it on the FAI website that its Kelly not Kilbane.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Must be Kilbane so

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    never been so disheartened going into an Ireland game, Im usually the eternal optimist.
    The only thing that keeps me going is that maybe after the weekend, the players will really play out of their skins (ala Scotland) and come away with a draw/maybe even a win. Whats being missing the last few games is a decent CM to protect the defence, if we can manage that tomorrow it will give us a chance (small admittedly).

I know I said it before last sat night too but we need a good start on Wed. If we can start well and maybe even nick an early goal it would give the team and crowd a great lift.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast