Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carr and Quinn doubts

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alan Quinn

Does anyone know due to the Sudden Death of Alan Quinns mother will he play any part in the Up and coming qualifiers??

If not will Staunton now call up Carsley as a replacement??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Carr and Quinn doubts

Quinn because of the death of him mother and Carr has an injury.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/5401684.stm

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Condolences to Quinn and his family. Carr being out means we'll finally get Finnan in his best position (provided Stan doesn't play Clinton Morrison there or some other half assed decision). O'Shea at left-back and Carsley called up to play centre midfield anybody?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhite View Post
    Condolences to Quinn and his family. Carr being out means we'll finally get Finnan in his best position (provided Stan doesn't play Clinton Morrison there or some other half assed decision). O'Shea at left-back and Carsley called up to play centre midfield anybody?
    The FAI have sent a fax to Lee Carsley calling him up. Wilmington Rovers under 12's of the Coventry 3 churches league were startled on receiving the fax. Lee hasn't been there since 1986!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Carr being out will definitely mean Finnan back in his rightful spot. I'm not too sure that O'Shea will go left back. There is a consensus (I think) that he will be kept in midfield. Which would leave Kilbane in the team at left back me thinks. I've said it before, their height is one of the main reasons they're both still in the team. We've a small squad in general and if JOS and KK were dropped, only Dunne and O'Brien would be 6ft + in the team.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think it would be a stroke of luck for us if Carr is injured and Finnan is played at right back. That will mean he will have to put either Kilbane or O'Shea at left back, thus freeing up a spot in midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I totally agree there.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I think it would be a stroke of luck for us if Carr is injured and Finnan is played at right back. That will mean he will have to put either Kilbane or O'Shea at left back, thus freeing up a spot in midfield.
    Couldn't agree more. Carr being injured means Finnan plays in his best position while it indirectly stregthens the midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    O'Shea at left back
    Kilbane left back on the bench!
    Quinn and Douglas to start.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Quinn and Douglas to start.
    Just think: these two lads could have the opportunity to prove themselves and make the positions their own. Big incentive for them.

What a breath of frsh air that'd be. Quinn in particular is never shy to look for the ball and do something positive when he gets it. Both will be biting at the ankles of the opposition. We'd have Finnan back where he belongs and O'Shea back to where's he's OK, nowhere near as bad as some have made out in that position, and nowhere near as dangerous (to us!) as he can be in midfield.

I really hope Quinn makes the trip. This could be his chance to play himself into the squad for the rest of the campaign, even if only by impressing in training. He's more deserving than Stephen ireland at the moment.

That said, I think Miller will play though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    shakermaker, think thats a little extreme.

I'd happily settle for O'Shea at left back, Finnan right back
    and for Kilbane and Carsley/Ireland in midfield.

Who do ye realistically expect to see in centre midfield? this is assuming Carr doesnt make it and he plays either OS or KK at left back

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I'd happily settle for O'Shea at left back, Finnan right back
    and for Kilbane and Carsley/Ireland in midfield.
    You'd settle for Kilbane in midfield? Why? Has it not been categorically proven he offers nothing there and is incapable of linking up with the front two?

Ireland has played about an hour max all season and by all accounts has been poor. He's tiny as well. Carsley isn't making the trip it appears.

I'd go for any two of Douglas, Miller & Quinn. I'm a fan of Quinn so am biased towards his inclusion.

But realistically I think Staunton will pick O'Shea & Miller. I really think KK's inclusion in CM in Germany was a one-off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I'd take the risk and play Quinn and Douglas. Why? Hunger - they will run themselves into the ground for the green shirt and that has been missing from our midfield engine for many a year. Cyprus is also the ideal game to try it out. Douglas impressed me when he came on against the Dutch, full of running and enthusiasm. He gave the team a lift (as did Doyle and Miller that night). Stuttgart is bang on about Quinn as well, if he plays he has a chance of staying in the team for the next 18 months. Its a terrible blow that he lost his mother and it's gonna be hard for him to play (mentally) but I would have no hesitation in starting him. Anything is better than seeing Kilbane lose possession by messing up a 7 yard pass.

If S Ireland had game time this year then he would be a candidate but Pearce took him off early Saturday and is probably not match sharp.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    You'd settle for Kilbane in midfield? Why? Has it not been categorically proven he offers nothing there and is incapable of linking up with the front two?

Ireland has played about an hour max all season and by all accounts has been poor. He's tiny as well. Carsley isn't making the trip it appears.

I'd go for any two of Douglas, Miller & Quinn. I'm a fan of Quinn so am biased towards his inclusion.

But realistically I think Staunton will pick O'Shea & Miller. I really think KK's inclusion in CM in Germany was a one-off.
    Thats the thing though Stuttgart. Presuming Carr is out, it frees up two spots or three spots (if KK is dropped completely). Left back (of which its one from JOS and KK) and centre midfield ( two from O'Shea Kilbane Miller Quinn Douglas).
    It comes down to whether he drops Kilbane or not. I don't think he will, as I've stated before he adds a physical presence at set-pieces, and this will be needed against both teams over the next week.

On this basis I think he will go for this team:

Kenny
    Finnan O'Brien Dunne Kilbane
    McGeady O'Shea Miller Duff
    Doyle Keane

If Carr is fit to play I think he will pick this team:
    Kenny
    Carr O'Brien Dunne Finnan
    Miller O'Shea Kilbane Duff
    Doyle Keane

I know it might seem odd to have McGeady playing depending on Carr's availability, but I just feel that he will incorporate both KK and JOS in the next two games.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quinn and either Carsley (who is unlikley to be called up) or Douglas. Quinn is a busy, clever player and runs at defenses through the middle. Unfortunately Kilbane will probably play in the middle with O'Shea going LB. At this stage he (Kilbane)is nullifying our front 3. He will get in the way of O'Shea and Duff. He never gets to the byline anymore and any inswinging crosses he sends in from midfield are useless to players the size of Keane and Doyle. We need give n go's around the box ala Ray Houghton. We created too few real chances against Germany and so it is time to try something different. McGeady, Quinn, Douglas and Duff for me. Carsley on the bench at least I hope. I would not play Miller. He has quickly become known at Sundeerland as the invisible man.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 03/10/2006 at 12:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I can handle Kilbane at left back but not in midfield.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    what are the chances we get o shea right back and kilbane left back!! and finnan pushed right side of midfield!!

im just fearing the worst! (i hope)

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's a bit much to expect Quinn to travel. He will be in no fit state to play.
    We should accept that for him he needs time with his family. It is very unfortunate that his personal tragedy coincides with him being called up.

Hopefully he will get another chance.

Watching with interest to see what Stan will do next.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    What chance Stephen Kelly getting a late call up, then either him or St Ledger filling in at right full, with Finnan shunted to left full, so O'Shea can stay in central midfield??
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Anything is possible with this team at the moment. Anything. Actually the whole "O'Shea and KK as full backs and Finnan at right back" isn't too far from the realms of possibility

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast