Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts

Team for Cyprus game

Kenny
    Carr-------Dunne--------O'Brien--------Finnan

------Carsley--------O'Shea--------Kilbane

------Doyle---------Keane--------Duff

I don't expect McGeady to start even though IMO he should instead of Kilbane.
    1.Kenny played well v Boro. Not at fault for Boro goal.
    2.Carr is improving again and deserves his place.
    3.Dunne outstanding v Everton and should be captain rather than Keane.
    4.O'Brien played OK against Germany and again deserves place on that performance.
    5.Finnan playing well for Liverpool but at fault for yesterdays 2nd goal against Bolton. Sure to start and deserves to play.
    6.Carsley consistently playing well for Everton. Should start against Cyprus.
    7.O'Shea. Silence! He will get 20 mins against Cyprus and if no improvement should be replaced by McGeady or Ireland.
    8.Kilbane again 20 mins and if not producing then off replaced by McGeady.
    9.Doyle. Love to see him score. Very impressed with his play for both club and country. Real plus for Ireland.
    10.Keane. I expect him to score against Cyprus. Got his first goal for Spurs so I expect this to kick start his season.
    11.Due a goal for Ireland. Playing well for Newcastle and starting to look a bit like his old self. We need the old Duff now more than ever.

Stan- Better get things right Oct 7- This team is good enough to beat Cyprus. If we play reasonbly well and beat Cyprus then Stan will deserve the plaudits. Any manager worth his salt would expect to beat Cyprus with the players we have available. So lets kick start the campaign with a decent win.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    McGeady looks to have scored the winner for Cetic today in 84th minute, should he start?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    McGeady looks to have scored the winner for Cetic today in 84th minute, should he start?
    Definitely, did you see Hartson's quote about him.

Former Celtic striker John Hartson believes that Aiden McGeady could soon attract bids of £20m. (Sunday Mail/Post).

Against Cyprus we need an attacking team and McGeady deserves his place now. Suggest

Kenny
    Carr Dunne O Brien Finnan
    McGeady Carsley O Shea Duff (mcGeady Duff interchangable)
    Keane Doyle

Mind you it's hard to see Stan dropping Kilbane as he is playing well for Wigan but I hope he plays Carsley as it gives him a chance to prove himself before the Czech game. But then he has not called him up yet.

the defense was solid enough against Germany (yea lucky too) and Carsley would be solid in front of them while the attach should keep the Cypriots on the defensive and be well capable of scoring a few goals.

Still worry about central midfield against the Czechs but if we did the business against Cyprus they would be going into Lansdowne full of confidence.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    Kenny
    Carr-------Dunne--------O'Brien--------Finnan

------Carsley--------O'Shea--------Kilbane

------Doyle---------Keane--------Duff

I don't expect McGeady to start even though IMO he should instead of Kilbane.
    1.Kenny played well v Boro. Not at fault for Boro goal.
    2.Carr is improving again and deserves his place.
    3.Dunne outstanding v Everton and should be captain rather than Keane.
    4.O'Brien played OK against Germany and again deserves place on that performance.
    5.Finnan playing well for Liverpool but at fault for yesterdays 2nd goal against Bolton. Sure to start and deserves to play.
    6.Carsley consistently playing well for Everton. Should start against Cyprus.
    7.O'Shea. Silence! He will get 20 mins against Cyprus and if no improvement should be replaced by McGeady or Ireland.
    8.Kilbane again 20 mins and if not producing then off replaced by McGeady.
    9.Doyle. Love to see him score. Very impressed with his play for both club and country. Real plus for Ireland.
    10.Keane. I expect him to score against Cyprus. Got his first goal for Spurs so I expect this to kick start his season.
    11.Due a goal for Ireland. Playing well for Newcastle and starting to look a bit like his old self. We need the old Duff now more than ever.

Stan- Better get things right Oct 7- This team is good enough to beat Cyprus. If we play reasonbly well and beat Cyprus then Stan will deserve the plaudits. Any manager worth his salt would expect to beat Cyprus with the players we have available. So lets kick start the campaign with a decent win.

Hmn, so you'd hamper the team by not plaing 4-4-2? We play 4-4-2 end of story, no point complicating things, we don't have Dutch players playing us. I'd play 4-4-2 and drop Duff and play McGeady in his place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    We can't drop Duff for a game like this. He's usually fantastic in these kind of games. He set up 2 goals in the home game against Cyprus last year (cross for Morrison header and won a peno).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Hmn, so you'd hamper the team by not plaing 4-4-2? We play 4-4-2 end of story, no point complicating things, we don't have Dutch players playing us. I'd play 4-4-2 and drop Duff and play McGeady in his place.
    No. But I believe Stan will play the team I have mentioned above. And go with a kind of 4-3-3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    has Carsley been called up after all the injuries?

I'd keep Finnan at RB, let him play where he can be most effective. MacGeady must start against a team like Cyprus - with a bit of luck he has a stormer and gets the Czech's worried.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Kenny
    Carr O'Brien Dunne Finnan
    McGeady O'Shea Kilbane Duff
    Doyle Keane

I'd be nearly certain thats the team he will play, though not the one I would agree with. CM is too weak but may survive against Cyprus.

Did anyone see the Man U game yday, Carr was given the run around by Ronaldo and Duff was non existent-i really how my doubts about the guys attitude.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Kenny
    McGeady O'Shea Kilbane Duff
    Doyle Keane

I'd be nearly certain thats the team he will play, though not the one I would agree with. CM is too weak but may survive against Cyprus.

Did anyone see the Man U game yday, Carr was given the run around by Ronaldo and Duff was non existent-i really how my doubts about the guys attitude.
    I think Trevor Francis made a comment about how poor Carr was yesterday during the match. All the more ironic in the fact that Roeder had praised Carr's performances prior to the ManUre match.

Being honest, I haven't seen Carr put in a decent performance since his Spurs days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    With Carsley not in the squad, I reckon it's going to look like
    Kenny
    McGeady O'Shea Miller Duff
    Keane Doyle

BTW - this is not necessarily the team I would pick, just what I think Staunton is going to go with.
    With Andy O'Brien not making the Portsmouth 16 for the Spurs game, it makes the exclusion of McCarthy stranger and stranger with every passing minute
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    O'Brien hasn't played a game for Portsmouth this season (is he playing any reserve footie?) - he'll be nice and sharpe for the forthcoming matches!

I really do think he'll play Kilbane and O'Shea in the centre. Finnan will be at LB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    He played in the League Cup game against Mansfield, where they conceded their first goal of the season, Kiely was also in goals for that match
    http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=495455
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I forgot about the League Cup, cheers.

To not give the Leciester lad a chance is a joke. If Dunne or O'Brien pull a muscle this week who steps in? O'Shea? I don't think my nerves could stand it next Wednesday if that were the case with Rosicky and Baros running at him. Or maybe St Ledger and McShane could fill the breach. Sink or swim lads.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Or maybe St Ledger and McShane could fill the breach. Sink or swim lads.
    I'd have picked McCarthy for friendlies ages ago, but again I think if Staunton has made the value judgment that SSL and McShane are better than McCarthy, then so be it. I'm not sure he has though.

If McCarthy and SSL haven't been watched by Staunton or his team at least a dozen times by now it'd be a disgrace. There's too much bull written in the Indo & Herald about McCarthy's disciplinerary record. Most of his cards were in the first half of last season, practically his first experience in a first team. If he was such a headcase he'd hardly be club captain at 23.

SSL's versatility (full-back cover) may be a factor. Then again, Big Ron's recommendation is more likely to be the reason.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    The team I would like to see:

Kenny
    Finnan O'Brien Dunne O'Shea
    McGeady Douglas Carsley Duff
    Keane Doyle

The team I think Stan will pick

Kenny
    Kilbane O'Shea Miller
    Doyle Duff
    Keane

Stan is growing even more bizarre in his decisions. I presume that Carsley has spoken to Stan about coming back and got some sort of reassurance. Not picking him means that we've just alienated a guy who could do a job for a year or 2.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    The team I would like to see:

Kenny
    Finnan O'Brien Dunne O'Shea
    McGeady Douglas Carsley Duff
    Keane Doyle

The team I think Stan will pick

Kenny
    Kilbane O'Shea Miller
    Doyle Duff
    Keane

Stan is growing even more bizarre in his decisions. I presume that Carsley has spoken to Stan about coming back and got some sort of reassurance. Not picking him means that we've just alienated a guy who could do a job for a year or 2.
    Cavanman spot on team. There could be a vacancy next week are you interested?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I'd have to get me mum to go into Dunnes and get me a suit like Stan's

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    I'd have to get me mum to go into Dunnes and get me a suit like Stan's
    War on want is Stans tailor.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    The knives really are out aren't they?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Alothough it is being a bit bitchy there is a point here. One of the things a number of friends who are not great football fans have said is that Stan looks like he's a young guy on work placement. He certainly doesnt come across as being in charge.

I think that he knows this and in an effort to stamp his authority he is trying to make 'tough' decisions (e.g calling up Dixon, St Ledger, not calling up McCarthy, Carsley).

Managing Ireland is not that tough a job. The team sort of picks itself and we havent got a huge number of tactical options. Stan is so keen to prove to us (and himself?) that he is up to it that he is overcomplicating things, even goign down the failed McCarthy route of non 4-4-2.

So in the end a proper suit for Stan will lead to greater success!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast