Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Top Irish Scorer in Premiership

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Top Irish Scorer in Premiership

Not sure if this is in the right forum (and if it's moved we can have an entertaining pub legal conversation about copyright!)

Who do people think will be the top irish scorer in the Premiership this season, Doyle or Keane. Doyle strikes me as more of a goalscorer and will benefit from playing nearly all matches (plus he gets to take the penalties, albeit badly).

I dont think it will need many goals to win this competition, 20 would certainly do it. Leads to another question about which Irish striker has hadthe most prolific season in the Premiership since it started. Can only think Keane/Quinn (who never seemd to score that many).

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'd have to go with Doyle unless Keane comes into some form like at the end of last season. Doyle is more likely to score consistently (every few games) where as Keane will go ages without a goal then go on a bit of a run

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Just on another note, I was wondering who is the top Irish goal scorer in the Premiership since its start as in Alan Shearer has the record for highest goalscorer who is the highest Irish player. I would guess Robbie Keane.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I'd say that if Doyle played for a club with the same ambitions as Spurs he could well end up scoring more than Keane, to his credit though Keane has never been known as an out and out striker. Whilst Reading are doing well at the moment it would be a surprise at the seasons end if they weren't a number of places behind Spurs. So as things stand you'd have to say that Keane should end up with more goals simply on the basis that he plays for a better side that will create more chances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I'd say that if Doyle played for a club with the same ambitions as Spurs he could well end up scoring more than Keane
    It's impossible to say. A lot of strikers score more when they're the number 1 striker at the club and one of the best players in the team. David Healy being an example. As soon as they move to a bigger and better club they just can't do it any more. Then again, maybe like van Nistelrooy he'll score more in a better team. If Shevhenko moved down to Watford I'd actually say he'd score more goals than he will at Chelsea.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    I dont think it will need many goals to win this competition, 20 would certainly do it..
    Do you think 20 goals is a low enough figure?

20 goals would make any player the 3rd highest score in each of the last 3 Premiership campaigns...!
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    It's impossible to say. A lot of strikers score more when they're the number 1 striker at the club and one of the best players in the team. David Healy being an example. As soon as they move to a bigger and better club they just can't do it any more. Then again, maybe like van Nistelrooy he'll score more in a better team. If Shevhenko moved down to Watford I'd actually say he'd score more goals than he will at Chelsea.
    Slightly unfair comparison with Healy whose problem is probably that he won't score against good defences in a higher league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cavan_fan View Post
    Slightly unfair comparison with Healy whose problem is probably that he won't score against good defences in a higher league.
    Sorry, I meant with N.Ireland. Even if he was a regular in the Italy team I doubt he'd be scoring as many.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Keane has 63 goals in 165 games for Spurs, not bad for someone who isn't an "out & out" striker!
    He's been Spurs top scorer in 3 of the 4 seasons he's been there.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    He's been Spurs top scorer in 3 of the 4 seasons he's been there.
    Says more about Spurs than him i think. He had great form in the later half of last season but he is now back to form of this time last year i.e. terrible.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Says more about Spurs than him i think. He had great form in the later half of last season but he is now back to form of this time last year i.e. terrible.
    Spurs are suffering a bit with Injury's but RK ran the previous home win against Sheff Utd and scored a cracker against Prague, I've been to WHL a couple of times and his overall game is fine, general team confidence is just a bit low at the moment.