Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mark McGhee linked with Bohs job

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    In fairness, when was the last time someone without a good knowledge of the league has been given one of the big jobs? The only one I can think of is Mountfield and that must be 5 years ago at this stage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ^ When was Senor Farrelly appointed ?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Sorry, I try to erase the two years of Farrelly out of mind...

Farrelly is a totally different case. He failed because he was a lazy, failed 28-year-old footballer who should never have been given a managerial job (anywhere) in the first place and was only given the job because the Bohs president at the time, Felim O'Reilly, was a family friend of the Farrellys.

He was portrayed as an enthusiastic young manager when appointed but in reality he was far from it. If Bohs bothered to do any backround checks before appointing him, they would've realised that Farrelly had (and still has) a serious attitude problem and even if they talked to any of his previous managers they would have realised that he has a serious lack of work ethic and dedication.

McGhee is totally different. He's a proven, experienced manager with a good reputation. He's somebody who has managed in the Premiership, won promotions and got a club to the FA Cup semis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    How long was Derek Mountfield with Cork for and has he managed since?
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It's not essential that Bohs new manager has EL experience but it definetly helps.

I hope McGhee gets it,it a disaster waiting to happen,Farrelly all over again and as soon as he gets a job offer in England,he'll be gone like a rat from a sinking ship!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Anto McC View Post
    It's not essential that Bohs new manager has EL experience but it definetly helps.

I hope McGhee gets it,it a disaster waiting to happen,Farrelly all over again and as soon as he gets a job offer in England,he'll be gone like a rat from a sinking ship!
    Apart from having no el experience, how exactly would he be a "disaster waiting to happen"?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohsFans View Post
    Apart from having no el experience, how exactly would he be a "disaster waiting to happen"?
    Its not. He's just a deluded Shels fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I love seeing the Bohs fans trying to show that McGhee is a decent manager by stating that he's managed in every league. So has Dave Bassett. He's also relegated more sides than any other manager in modern times. McGhee is rubbish. And you know it. There are plenty of coaches in England who have never managed iat all levels in England and who actually have talent. Alex Ferguson is one

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    64 Posts
    I thought Bohs put out a statement saying that the new man must have EL experience?
    False hope is worse than no hope. Ask Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Yeah and then Pat Fenlon stayed at Shelbourne.
    I got no lips I got no bones where there
    were eyes there's only space

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Will McGhee move to Dublin,should he get the Bohs job?

The point Leixlip Red made about Dave Bassett is a good one and one i was also going to make just not using Dave Bassett. Having plenty of experience means f*ck all if you are a **** manager. McGhee's record speaks for itself and proves he is not a good manager. I mean,Roddy has plenty of managerial experience,in both Ireland and England and yet i certainly wouldn't consider him a good manager!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    i'd give the bohs job to mcghee b4 i'd ever give it to any current eL manager apart from stephen kenny. bohs should be aiming for some1 like martin allen
    "Even if the sun ceases to rise, Even if the sea ceases to flow, Even if the wind stops to blow, The name of Sligo Rovers will shine and shine forever like the morning, glinting star in the sky."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Personally I think the style of Dave Bassett et all died years ago. For me any potential new manager must first of all be a good hands on coach. You can't just bark at players anymore, there has to be a technical insight.

I'd be inclined to think that a knowledge of the League be favourable but not the top criteria, after all you can always make your number two someone with that knowledge. I think the best thing the Bohs board can do is do extensive background checks on any candidate. There's going to be a lot of money involved here and the appointment needs to be right.

If I was involved in the search, I'd be speaking with ex-players and staff of the candidate to see how good his coaching techniques and ideas were and how well he treated everyone else. You don't want some dinosaur who lets the rest of the coaches train and give the players ideas while he sits in the background doing very little for his wage.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12