Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Interview with Theo Walcott

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Interview with Theo Walcott

From The Times. Comes across as being very down to earth and wants to keep his head down and just wants to play football.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I'm sure Kerion Dyer, Lee Bowyer, Craig Belamey all gave similar interviews at one stage.....

Just wait till his involved in his 1st split roast story !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrayUnknowns View Post
    I'm sure Kerion Dyer, Lee Bowyer, Craig Belamey all gave similar interviews at one stage.....

Just wait till his involved in his 1st split roast story !
    Ye but I think that he is serious in what he is saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Agreed DDD - Walcott is cut from different cloth, having attended a very good school in a solidly middle-class area (Compton in Berkshire for anyone that knows it). The other players mentioned are all quite frankly low-life who may well have ended up doing time were it not for their football talent. I don't think I need elaborate further where Bowyer is concerned, for instance.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    On a different topic, it mentions in the article that Beckham had a talk with Walcott during the World Cup and offered him words of encouragement and the like. I think this shows that some of the criticism Beckham got for being a poor captain was unjustified, and that he was a very good captain off the pitch. A number of his fellow ex-teammates have also mentioned in the past that he was a very good captain behind closed doors.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plastic Paddy View Post
    I don't think I need elaborate further where Bowyer is concerned, for instance.
    You know his background then or are you just making assumptions based on acts since he hit the big time, so to speak?

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,003 Posts
    Agreed DDD - Walcott is cut from different cloth, having attended a very good school in a solidly middle-class area (Compton in Berkshire for anyone that knows it). The other players mentioned are all quite frankly low-life who may well have ended up doing time were it not for their football talent. I don't think I need elaborate further where Bowyer is concerned, for instance.

PP
    Walcott went to a good school, so he must be a nice, safe, intelligent guy?

Whereas Bowyer, Bellamy are lowlife and only escaped a life of prison because they are good at football?

You must be bloody old because that style of assumptive nonsense went out of fashion about a hundred years ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Admittedly there was a hint of irony in my comments on Walcott that fail to translate in cyberspace. However, my judgements with respect to the other players mentioned are based on their public conduct and not, as you seem to think, a conclusion based on their socio-economic background. I'm sure you know that Bowyer has been in court in a fairly high-profile case and charged with affray and has been cautioned for other offences. Bellamy has been in court charged with assaulting a woman only a couple of months ago. I wouldn't wish to cite background and upbringing as a contributory cause of their actions but it's clear that both are fairly unsavoury characters. This gives rise to the question, at least in my mind, of what they might have done in life were it not for football.

PP

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,003 Posts
    Admittedly there was a hint of irony in my comments on Walcott that fail to translate in cyberspace. However, my judgements with respect to the other players mentioned are based on their public conduct and not, as you seem to think, a conclusion based on their socio-economic background. I'm sure you know that Bowyer has been in court in a fairly high-profile case and charged with affray and has been cautioned for other offences. Bellamy has been in court charged with assaulting a woman only a couple of months ago. I wouldn't wish to cite background and upbringing as a contributory cause of their actions but it's clear that both are fairly unsavoury characters. This gives rise to the question, at least in my mind, of what they might have done in life were it not for football.

PP
    Fair enough, a couple of areas I interpreded differently.

No doubt that they are both unsavoury characters, and not guys you want to meet in a dark alley.

I often wonder though, that if a lot of the behaviour of people like this isnt related to the fact that they are young and obscenely rich, and just have more money than they know what to do with. Similar toy baseball, American football, basketball etc.

But then look at golfers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    This gives rise to the question, at least in my mind, of what they might have done in life were it not for football.

PP
    I think if Bowyer has any clue musically he migh've had a go at fronting a WHO tribute band

" I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    I think if Bowyer has any clue musically he migh've had a go at fronting a WHO tribute band

I'd say there's something of the young Mod about Bowyer. Possibly more your Paul Weller type, although PW seems to prefer comfy pink sweaters these days, somthing I just can't see Bowyer wanting to adopt...

PP