Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAI chief executive hails Rovers’ ‘super’ Old Trafford prize draw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts

FAI chief executive hails Rovers’ ‘super’ Old Trafford prize draw

I know this is Sligo Rovers news but I figured some of ye would be interested in Delaney praising tickets to Old Trafford.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    FAI Chief Executive John Delaney has called Sligo Rovers amazing free draw for six tickets to Old Trafford as “a super package which is sure to attract intense interest from the local soccer community”.

Mr Delaney was visiting The Showgrounds for a briefing on the club’s ongoing development programme, and he took time out to enquire about the big draw on September 23. “We heard some details about this unique venture in the FAI, and I was keen to find out more about it.
    “From my experience I cannot recall a draw of this sort being organised by any other club, and I must pay tribute to the Sligo Branch of the Manchester United Supporters’ Club for their generosity in sponsoring the tickets for the draw.”
    Mr Delaney continued: “This is a very special gesture by Sligo Rovers to acknowledge and reward their loyal supporters by offering them free entry into the draw.
    “It shows the supporters that they are not taken for granted, and that their loyalty is appreciated by all at the club.

Continued here
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Saw that on the pats website and wondered wtf was up.

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    I dont know who is worse, Sligo or Delaney. Its embrassing to be honest. Shouldn't have even started a thread, if we ignored it, it might have went away. The inferiority complex continues will Sligo leading the way
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    I dont know who is worse, Sligo or Delaney. Its embrassing to be honest. Shouldn't have even started a thread, if we ignored it, it might have went away. The inferiority complex continues will Sligo leading the way
    WTF? A face, be realistic, the English Premiership is more popular with Irish people than the EL. This package was given FREE of charge to Rovers. What the club is trying to do is get more new people to come to this game in the hope that they'll see some good football and decide to come back again, what's wrong with that?

Have Cork City come up with any better suggestions to get the barstoolers in!?!?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    If it gets even one more person coming to see us every home game, then it is worth it.No inferiority complex, just trying to get some money out of the barstoolers.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    WTF? A face, be realistic, the English Premiership is more popular with Irish people than the EL. This package was given FREE of charge to Rovers. What the club is trying to do is get more new people to come to this game in the hope that they'll see some good football and decide to come back again, what's wrong with that?

Don't you think it's a bit like Coca-Cola giving away cans of Pepsi as a competition prize? Ireland tickets would have been more appropriate perhaps.
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Middle of No Where, The Center of Everywhere.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I honestly don't see anything wrong with this, Sligo Rovers is the winner here. Rovers can only gain from this fan wise.
    You are not going to change people from following premiership to irish soccer overnight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by el punter View Post
    Ireland tickets would have been more appropriate perhaps.
    Not really, we were given the "Trip to Old Trafford" package(which includes flights, hotel etc.) for FREE, as I already said. It was a generous donation from the Sligo branch of the Manchester United supporters club. Ireland tickets were not donated so we'd have to pay for them and run the risk of losing money then!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Sligo were given the package for free so it does make sense to do this draw. If they had paid for the package instead of opting for Ireland tickets then you would have to question it.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Not really, we were given the "Trip to Old Trafford" package(which includes flights, hotel etc.) for FREE.
    No such thing as a "free" lunch. Can you not see the irony in it?

If one of the winners decides they love the prawn sandwich atmosphere of an English football ground and become "fans" of that club, spending maybe, for example, €1000 each year travelling over to see their new team play, then that money is lost to the economy of football in Ireland.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerc View Post

If one of the winners decides they love the prawn sandwich atmosphere of an English football ground and become "fans" of that club, spending maybe, for example, €1000 each year travelling over to see their new team play, then that money is lost to the economy of football in Ireland.
    Spot on.

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    But on the other hand, if extra people come to the game, enjoy it, and becomes fans of the club and spend money on the club every year, then that is money gained to the economy of Irish football in Ireland.

We're willing to take the risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjaC View Post
    Spot on.
    and if you win the tickets tomorrow night you'll refuse to take them will you?

Middle of No Where, The Center of Everywhere.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But how many times is someone going to travel over to Manchester unless they are season ticket holders and rich?.

Also summer football here and winter/spring there, the seasons do not overlap all that much.

I used to go once a year to Liverpool as well as eircom league games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Think it can only be a good thing for the club will probably add on to the crowd with people that previously wouldnt have gone to the games and hopefully they will be attracted back

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    We're willing to take the risk.and if you win the tickets tomorrow night you'll refuse to take them will you?
    I will give them to a sligo fan as i have ****i all use for them.
    If you beide me you have 2 chances of wining.....

kdjac

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kdjaC View Post
    If you beide me you have 2 chances of wining.....
    I'll PM you my description then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    But on the other hand, if extra people come to the game, enjoy it, and becomes fans of the club and spend money on the club every year, then that is money gained to the economy of Irish football in Ireland.

We're willing to take the risk.and if you win the tickets tomorrow night you'll refuse to take them will you?
    Therein lies the irony. Those people are not going to see Sligo V Pats, they are going for the opportunity to win a trip to Manchester.

How many will purchase any Sligo merchandise, food or drink inside the Showgrounds?

How much does the "average punter" spend at Old Trafford?

Would you believe Man U budget for approx €100 spend per non season book holder per home game.
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Bit like Bray handing out leaflets at the Carlisle Grounds offering trips to the Premiership. The Coke/Pepsi analogy is spot on here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I dont think it is really because one can be a follower of Manchester United and like to see them do well and would appreciate the opportunity to see them play but also at the same time go to see your local eL team week in and week out.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's what my Bohemian friends would call minnowism. No surprises from Delaney, but sad to see Sligo stoop to this level.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast