Page 60 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 2287

Thread: Shane Long

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I see where AB isgoing with this, alls well at the moment but if the name change doesnt go through and they end in a scrap (relegation one next year) they could be the next wolves. HOpefully though that wont happen with so many Irish lads there.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That's very interesting Paul since nobody in this conversation has attempted to say anything like Trap did a good job.
    That's what happens when you skip into the 57th page.

Its a weak point in the armor to have to keep referring back to a 5-2 defeat to cyprus to counter an argument especially in relation to Trap. Trap should be judged on his record and his alone, so the likes of did we get that elusive win away from home did we get to a world cup, did we beat a top team at home etc. Also the good poitns of getting to a Euros have to be weighed up, I think it lessens the argument when you try and strong man Traps tenure by comparing an awful defeat against an opponent we should be beating but others of similar calibre have come unstuck against.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

3. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Which doesn't answer the question about why you think there is an argument going on about Trap. Everybody else was talking about Shane Long and Robbie and the relative importance of the games Robbie has scored in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    He missed both Germany games in this campaign and the home game against Austria. That reduced his chances of scoring against one of our direct rivals significantly. There's every chance he would have scored against Austria seeing Walters scored twice and Long hit the post but I guess that's neither here nor there.

He scored two v Estonia... If Paris is counted as scoring against our direct rivals, I don't really see why this isn't. Also scored v Russia in the campaign, albeit a penalty.

Of course, scoring against the likes of Macedonia and Cyprus ensured that they didn't become our direct rivals.
    Oh lordy. Well said lad.

Can we make it a bootable offence for ANYONE to ever criticise Robbie's record on this forum. It's maddening to think some think he's rubbish.

Anyway, back to Shlong. Delighted with the move for him.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    here here Bonnie - Robbie is one of our few untouchables as far as im concerned.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Not an untouchable like Robbie, but think we also need to consider banning the use of the words "McGeady" and "end product" in any kind of proximity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    from now I presume? Else the hamster will be winging another generational ban your way...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    from now I presume? Else the hamster will be winging another generational ban your way...
    No, I've made my bed and I have to lie in it. I'm all about the end-product you see.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I see where AB isgoing with this, alls well at the moment but if the name change doesnt go through and they end in a scrap (relegation one next year) they could be the next wolves. HOpefully though that wont happen with so many Irish lads there.
    AB was referring to the recent signings and the money spent on them, or so I thought, but I can't read his mind.
    Yes, Hull could go this way, they can go that way and eventually, one day, they will get relegated ...... sometime in the future.

Meanwhile all one has to do is look at the way the club has been managed since promotion, virtually building a new team, doing well in the league and playing good football. So far so good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    Confirmed Shane Long has signed for Hull City: http://www.hullcitytigers.com/news/a...g-1300249.aspx
    interview coming up soon with him on youtube
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    Do Ireland have any athletes in the winter olympics?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Is Lord Clifton Wrottesley competing in the Skeleton Luge? He's an aristocratic playboy of Irish descent who hangs out in St. Moritz and holds the record for the famous Cresta Run.

He represented us a while back and narrowly missed bronze.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'm sure Wednesday fans would gladly become the Sheffield Owls if they were to become solvent and a realistic regular top-flight participant
    Never, never, never ! The fans would really miss chanting the name of a day of the week.

It is interesting that like Doyle there was talk of Arsenal and other top clubs and he ends up at Hull City and Kevin, well he errrrr, ummmm. As usual we look at these players through green tinted glasses while in the real world they generally end up at clubs which match their ability. Definitely a step down. McCarthy (off the top of my head) is the only player is the last few years who has taken a step up.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I think it's quite bold to say it's definitely a step down. WBA are in a terrible run and have a manager new to England. I think it could go either way for each club.

Wrt which moves are good and which aren't, I think it's overlooked that at a certain level it's up to the player to make it a step up. If Long does very well then Hull will likely do well. I think he and Jelavic could complement each other well. An old fashioned pairing of a ball winner and an instinctive goal scorer. I think Jelavic is better than his form suggests. I felt he could be a shrewd move for Arsenal as interim backup for Giroud until they spend big during the summer.

I didn't hear any talk of Long going to Arsenal but some papers mentioned Spurs. I think opinion on Long here has been pretty unanimous and balanced. Good player, erratic finisher.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 17/01/2014 at 4:05 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Heard the other day on OTB that in 2008 when Spurs sold Berbatov to United late in the transfer window, they contacted Reading with a bid for Kevin Doyle. But the club was literally closed for business at the time cos they weren't anticipating any moves in or out.... Things like that must haunt Doyle!!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think it's quite bold to say it's definitely a step down. WBA are in a terrible run and have a manager new to England. I think it could go either way for each club.

Wrt which moves are good and which aren't, I think it's overlooked that at a certain level it's up to the player to make it a step up. If Long does very well then Hull will likely do well. I think he and Jelavic could complement each other well. An old fashioned pairing of a ball winner and an instinctive goal scorer. I think Jelavic is better than his form suggests. I felt he could be a shrewd move for Arsenal as interim backup for Giroud until they spend big during the summer.

I didn't hear any talk of Long going to Arsenal but some papers mentioned Spurs. I think opinion on Long here has been pretty unanimous and balanced. Good player, erratic finisher.
    I agree with this. If he does manage to become a more consistent finisher soon, it might have come too late for him to make the step up to a bigger club but a fee of £7million shows that he is a good player, who can run the channels, provide an assist and score a valuable goal against good opposition. Beside Jelavic you would anticipate he will be pestering and trying to boss the centre-halves, leaving Jelavic space and time to pick off chances which may result from Long or their suppliers. At the same time, he'll be in position to chip in with goals himself.

Interestingly, those old fashion pairings you refer to normally have the ball-winner as the more physical and the finisher as the more diminutive. In this case, Jelavic has 3 inches over Long.

Another critical question is this; is Steve Bruce more capable of getting more out of Long than Clarke was at WBA? I would opine that he is.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 17/01/2014 at 5:00 PM.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Pretty pointless stats really.

I've only seen Hull twice this season bar highlights. They went pretty much 4-5-1 in their 3-1 win against Liverpool. I suppose you could argue they were only 4-5-1 without the ball and 4-3-3 with it, with Brady and Koren (I think) the more attack minded of the midfielders. They were probably more defensively set-up though really in reality, but it worked a treat that day. Sagbo put in a massive, dare I say, Long-like shift up front on his own. The only other time I saw them was the 2-3 defeat to Man Utd on Stephen's Day. They had Sagbo and Graham up front but, presumably, that was only because of Brady being out injured?

Basically what I'm getting at is:

1) What is Hull's preferred formation with everybody fit?
    2) If Hull's preferred formation is a 4-5-1 (4-3-3), will this mean Long will be one of the wide players, perhaps instead of Koren? Not necessarily a bad thing if he is.
    3) Will Long easily displace Sagbo in the team? Presumably £7m says he will.

I am assuming that Jelavic is going to walk straight into the team and become their main striker by the way, a really super signing I think.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 17/01/2014 at 5:56 PM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    a fee of £7million shows that he is a good player
    Or you could equally argue it that this is what can befall you if you go striker shopping in January

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Or you could equally argue it that this is what can befall you if you go striker shopping in January
    So
    Not a completely inaccurate valuation, in my opinion. Something, something Andy Carroll.