Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 2085

Thread: Shane Long

  1. #61
    First Team livehead1's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,364
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo View Post
    A premiership strike force for a 100,000 quid.Some piece of business!
    Hows Denis Behan getting on Cork fans?
    they aint a premiership strikeforce. long defo aint up to it at the moment, think he will be though eventually.

  2. #62
    First Team livehead1's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,364
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    12
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    FFS he's only 18. Give him a chance will ya.
    Never mind "FFS". What are you on about? Someone mentioned the fact that they are a 'premiership strikeforce', I am entitled to my opinion, and was pointing out that I don't believe Long is currently up to the standard expected of a premiership striker.

    With regards to his age... did you read my post? I recall mentioning that he may be up to it in the future.

  3. #63
    International Prospect Peadar's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,586
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Shane Long scored a hattrick against Arsenal Reserves last night, as Reading ran out 6-0 winners.
    Jon Hayes and Stephen Hunt also featured for the Royals.

    Joe O’Cearuill was in the Arsenal line-up.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

  4. #64
    Capped Player
    Joined
    May 2004
    Posts
    16,891
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,549
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,675
    Thanked in
    2,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peadar View Post
    Joe O’Cearuill was in the Arsenal line-up.
    I can't wait to hear how British commentators pronounce his name if he makes the first team.

    Kayhill passes to Dockerty, who feeds Mayre. He lays it off to Joe O'Keeroowil but his shot his saved by Flawvon.

    (references to Kevin Maher and Daryl Flahavan thrown in, as that's how their names were pronounced on ITV last week).

  5. #65
    Reserves republicofwhite's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Londingham
    Posts
    275
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    Are you therefore suggesting that those not born in Ireland are less Irish than those who are?
    Just thought I'd finish this debate once and for all. Who is more Irish? Shane Long, From Gortnahoe in County Tipperary, star of the Tipperary Minor Hurling team when he was sixteen, and also played for Cork City in the Ericom League, or Lee Frecklington of Lincoln City?(who was, for some inane reason, picked ahead of him)

    Case Closed, methinks.

  6. #66
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    839
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by republicofwhite View Post
    Just thought I'd finish this debate once and for all. Who is more Irish? Shane Long, From Gortnahoe in County Tipperary, star of the Tipperary Minor Hurling team when he was sixteen, and also played for Cork City in the Ericom League, or Lee Frecklington of Lincoln City?(who was, for some inane reason, picked ahead of him)

    Case Closed, methinks.
    Don't really want to get into this as we've debated the 2G thing here endlessly. I don't know anything about Lee Frecklington, I don't know whether or not he's a chancer in the Noel Whelan mould. For argument's sake, let's assume he is, in which case you're taking two extremes and ignoring the middle ground. I don't think a crude definition of what is and isn't Irish helps anyone - surely there's a degree of personal choice - and least of all when that extreme is a GAA-playing son of the soil.

    My mother feels as Irish as anyone, having lived here since she was 7. But she was born in Birmingham to Irish parents and felt English until she was in her late teens. Over ten years or so, she felt more at home here and felt less affinity with Birmingham and England.

    A nationality isn't necessarily made of concrete - it can change. Frecklington may well just fancy a handy international career to boost his profile and knows we're looking for players. Or maybe he's always wanted to play for Ireland, who knows?

  7. #67
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Dublin 7
    Posts
    20,279
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Staunton has an inferiority complex. His quotes on searching the globe for talent back this up. For some reason he suggested Kerr ignored 2 & 3Gs when it was Kerr who brought McGeady into the squad. I would expect nothing less given the people Staunton has surrounded himself with. All are either english or wannabe english scouts/"advisors"...

    All things being equal he will pick an english player with irish great granny than any irish player. How else can anyone explain picking a lincoln City player for a B international. Its not as if he justified the inclusion either on his performance.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

    Bring back Rocketman!

  8. #68
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    17,520
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    868
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,288
    Thanked in
    2,082 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    For some reason he suggested Kerr ignored 2 & 3Gs when it was Kerr who brought McGeady into the squad.
    1 player in 4 years, who had already declared for us, yeah Kerr was all about the 2nd and 3rd generation players.

    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I would expect nothing less given the people Staunton has surrounded himself with. All are either english or wannabe english scouts/"advisors"...
    Staunton has spent the whole of his career in England, making contacts in English clubs, and being trained by English coaches. He respects their opinions and methods, we would say worse things about him if he brought in someone he knew nothing about
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  9. #69
    First Team Irish_Praha's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,221
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    20
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    56
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    1 player in 4 years, who had already declared for us, yeah Kerr was all about the 2nd and 3rd generation players.
    You forgot Jon Macken

  10. #70
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Dublin 7
    Posts
    20,279
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Staunton has spent the whole of his career in England, making contacts in English clubs, and being trained by English coaches. He respects their opinions and methods, we would say worse things about him if he brought in someone he knew nothing about
    Kerr did not play these types of players because they were not good enough.

    Staunton has added a whole lot of crap players to the current squad. A team mate saying they good enough isn't exactly unbiased...

    http://www.forastrust.ie/

    Bring back Rocketman!

  11. #71
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    17,520
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    868
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,288
    Thanked in
    2,082 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Kerr did not play these types of players because they were not good enough.
    Kerr only played 2 Eircom League players AFAIR (Crowe and Byrne), if the rest were not good enough under Kerr, what makes you think they're good enough for Staunton? He's already given Byrne more of a run out then Kerr did. The only players that really came through under Kerr were Andy Reid and Aiden McGeady, and he hardly gave McGeady a fair crack of the whip - although he wasn't playing well at the time.
    Kerr was routinely criticised for not bringing in new players to the squad, his starting line up and tactics rarely changed from game to game, even from year to year. There were 10 players from his first game that played in his last game!! (For the record the players are: Carr, O'Brien, O'Shea, Dunne, Harte, S.Reid, Holland, Kilbane, Morrison, and Doherty). At least by bringing in the likes of Emanuel, Frecklington, Lawrence, Ledger, etc Staunton is trying something new.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    A team mate saying they good enough isn't exactly unbiased...

    What players recommended team mates? Ledger was recommended by Ron Atkinson (Staunton's former manager) after working with him at Peterborough. I don't know who recommended Frecklington or Emanuel.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  12. #72
    Coach eirebhoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,640
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    In fairness, Kerr brought in 15-20 players. He just didn't feel any of them were good enough for the first team.

  13. #73
    Reserves republicofwhite's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Londingham
    Posts
    275
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81 View Post
    Don't really want to get into this as we've debated the 2G thing here endlessly. I don't know anything about Lee Frecklington, I don't know whether or not he's a chancer in the Noel Whelan mould. For argument's sake, let's assume he is, in which case you're taking two extremes and ignoring the middle ground. I don't think a crude definition of what is and isn't Irish helps anyone - surely there's a degree of personal choice - and least of all when that extreme is a GAA-playing son of the soil.

    My mother feels as Irish as anyone, having lived here since she was 7. But she was born in Birmingham to Irish parents and felt English until she was in her late teens. Over ten years or so, she felt more at home here and felt less affinity with Birmingham and England.

    A nationality isn't necessarily made of concrete - it can change. Frecklington may well just fancy a handy international career to boost his profile and knows we're looking for players. Or maybe he's always wanted to play for Ireland, who knows?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be parochial and outwardly nationalist, but its got be dismaying when outstanding homegrown talent like Long (scored goals in the Championship, agaisnt Liverpool, and figures regularly in the Premiership) is disregarded. And in his place, a random and may I court controversy, wholeheartedly English(Until 3 weeks ago maybe) Lincoln City player. I remember George O'Callaghan saying he got into a massive fight with Brian Kerr because Kerr brought on some inferior British Exeter player instead of him in an underage game. O'Callaghan felt it was an absolute joke,and didn't play for Ireland again, but he was so right. Where's the pride in the indigenous set up?

  14. #74
    First Team Superhoops's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Not Cork (thank God!)
    Posts
    1,963
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I don't know who recommended Frecklington or Emanuel.
    John Deehan, former Villa and Norwich player is Director of Football at Lincoln City and is 'scouting' for Staunton in the south of England.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

  15. #75
    Reserves republicofwhite's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Londingham
    Posts
    275
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Its a real pity that Stan is manager at this current time. I actually think we have decent players(when most are fully fit) and there are some great young lads coming through... But you need someone who actually has a scooby doo to take advantage... I stand by my judgement that a draw against the Czech's was the worst possible result we could have got. If we lost, he'd be gone by now. If only...

  16. #76
    Capped Player
    Joined
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Dublin 7
    Posts
    20,279
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy View Post
    There is no pride any more. Steven Staunton is our manager. We lose to teams like Cyprus badly.
    But at least our tactics change every game cos we have none.

    Back on topic, If Staunton thinks players good enough he should actually go & watch himself. He asked Steven Carr & Damian Duff for their opinions of Alan O'Brien & since he only played part of a pre season friendly they probbaly never played with him in first team game.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

    Bring back Rocketman!

  17. #77
    First Team
    Joined
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,880
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    424
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    172
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by republicofwhite View Post
    but its got be dismaying when outstanding homegrown talent like Long (scored goals in the Championship, agaisnt Liverpool, and figures regularly in the Premiership) is disregarded. And in his place, a random and may I court controversy, wholeheartedly English(Until 3 weeks ago maybe) Lincoln City player.
    They are not competing for the same position

  18. #78
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    17,520
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    868
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,288
    Thanked in
    2,082 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    In fairness, Kerr brought in 15-20 players. He just didn't feel any of them were good enough for the first team.
    Just out of curiosity, what players did Kerr cap?
    Off the top of my head

    Paddy Kenny
    Nicky Colgan (not 100% on him)
    John Thompson
    Liam Miller
    Andy Reid
    Stephen Elliott
    Martin Rowlands
    John Byrne
    Clive Clarke
    Aiden McGeady
    Jon Macken

    Out of these, Kenny, Elliot (when he's been fit), Andy Reid and McGeady have gone on to be mainstays in the squad. Miller still has a chance but he has to make up for 2 years at United when he rarely played.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  19. #79
    Coach eirebhoy's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    8,640
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Andy Reid
    Liam Miller
    Alan Lee
    Alan Quinn
    Paddy Kenny
    Martin Rowlands
    Aiden McGeady
    Stephen Elliott
    Jon Douglas
    Clive Clarke
    Joe Murphy
    John Thompson
    Jason Byrne
    Michael Doyle
    Jon Macken

    Paddy McCarthy and Kevin Doyle were also in a squad or 2 while Kavanagh became a regular squad memeber under Kerr.

  20. #80
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    839
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    0
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by republicofwhite View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be parochial and outwardly nationalist, but its got be dismaying when outstanding homegrown talent like Long (scored goals in the Championship, agaisnt Liverpool, and figures regularly in the Premiership) is disregarded. And in his place, a random and may I court controversy, wholeheartedly English(Until 3 weeks ago maybe) Lincoln City player. I remember George O'Callaghan saying he got into a massive fight with Brian Kerr because Kerr brought on some inferior British Exeter player instead of him in an underage game. O'Callaghan felt it was an absolute joke,and didn't play for Ireland again, but he was so right. Where's the pride in the indigenous set up?
    I would put Long's absence down to the downright insanity that's going on at management level. Frecklington could be as Irish as they come but Long - I think - deserves his place in the full squad. He's in the Premiership with a team that's doing relatively well - end of debate, really. That's the issue for me, more than a debate over who's more Irish.

Page 4 of 105 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Shane Long
    By finnpark in forum Ireland
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07/02/2007, 1:42 PM
  2. Shane Long got too ????
    By A face in forum Cork City
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 07/06/2005, 7:19 PM
  3. Shane Long called up for U-19 squad
    By eoinh in forum Cork City
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 21/01/2005, 9:45 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •