Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 46 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Long

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Long would suit Liverpool down to a tee. Rodgers is banning the punt, and it's working to a point, as they are playing some excellent football, but they miss a poacher - about the only thing Suarez isn't - and if they were to get Long, they'd have a strong, very quick, poacher up top, supported by Suarez and one of Sterling/Gerrard/Suso. Shane is good enough to play top right as well, if they go with Borini or horse up front as the 1.

Could be a massive move for both him and Liverpool.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I think it would be mad for a club in Liverpool's current situation to pay a hefty fee for a striker with a dodgy leg.
    But clubs like Liverpool do have a history of madness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    May I mark exhibit one; a Mr Alberto Aquilani...
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Long would suit Liverpool down to a tee. Rodgers is banning the punt, and it's working to a point, as they are playing some excellent football, but they miss a poacher - about the only thing Suarez isn't - and if they were to get Long, they'd have a strong, very quick, poacher up top, supported by Suarez and one of Sterling/Gerrard/Suso. Shane is good enough to play top right as well, if they go with Borini or horse up front as the 1.

Could be a massive move for both him and Liverpool.
    It won't happen.

Remember when Doyle was supposed to be going to Chelsea and then Arsenal? This story has all the hallmarks of those ones.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    I hope Long doesn't move to Liverpool as I feel Irish players have not fared well when they have been at bigger clubs. Gibson, Dunne, Given, Keane and Duff would probably have mixed feelings about their time at these clubs. In terms of Liverpool, their attack is built around Suarez and if it didn't work out, Long could find himself on the bench or facing another transfer like Carroll. I mentioned instability before at Liverpool, and what I meant by that was once things start to go wrong, the manager gets the chop. Then the new manager tries a new approach and on it goes.

For me, Long is playing well at WBA and is getting regular gametime, which in turn is good for Ireland,so I will just agree to disagree with some of you!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Why would Duff have mixed feelings about his time at Chelsea? Dunne left City before they could be considered a big club.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    I disagree with you gastric. I feel it is essential that our players are playing at top clubs like Liverpool or United. For example, I would like to see over the next 12 months, Jamie McCarthy getting a move to one of the top 6 or 7 premiership clubs, in order to further his development. Otherwise, he will just stay a good decent premiership player, rather than get to a level where he could become top class (he has the potential to be really top class I would feel). I do partly agree that Liverpool is in the early stages of Rodgers' tenure and that the club is a massive work in progress, but I think that the Liverpool board will give him time, barring a disastrous run of results. From having lived in Liverpool for a number of years, Long is very highly rated by pretty much all my old Kopite and Evertonian mates. Those same mates were very sceptical about the signings of Carroll and Downing. I think that Long would be a great addition to Liverpool, although I would feel that they need an out and out goalscorer like a Huntelaar most of all.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Liverpool aren't a top club anymore. A big club, sure - a top club, no.

I'd love to see him at a true top side, he'd be a star.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Why would Duff have mixed feelings about his time at Chelsea? Dunne left City before they could be considered a big club.
    Duff never got the amount of game time at Chelsea that he deserved, to me it was as much about stopping him going somewhere else as seeing the potential in him. Secondly, City were beginning to buy whoever they liked when they decided to get rid of the man who had lead them so admirably over the previous four years. No loyalty there!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Duff was fairly vital to Mourinho's title wins and Champions League runs. If anything, he wanted to get away because the pressurised environment didn't suit him, but he never let himself down.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Duff was fairly vital to Mourinho's title wins and Champions League runs. If anything, he wanted to get away because the pressurised environment didn't suit him, but he never let himself down.
    I wasn't being disparaging about Duff's time at Chelsea, however, he did not get the game time he deserved particularly when Robben joined. As regards the 'pressurised environment' comment you made, Duff left as he was finding it hard to get a regular game, a situation not helped by the amount of injuries he seemed to pick up at that time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Carragaline may have got it exactly right according to this report!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...-for-sale.html

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

I'd say they are undoubtably a big club, but with an average side (which includes the brilliant Suarez).

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    I hope Long doesn't move to Liverpool as I feel Irish players have not fared well when they have been at bigger clubs. Gibson, Dunne, Given, Keane and Duff would probably have mixed feelings about their time at these clubs.
    Duff played some great football at Chelsea. And what about the likes of O'Shea, (Roy) Keane, Irwin or Finnan?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

It depends how you view what constitutes a top club. Obviously, having a top class team would be a major factor, but for me history and pedigree go a long way.

Liverpool and the two Milans have had some of the greatest players and club teams of all time. They are among the best supported clubs in the world - maybe less so the two Milan teams outside Europe in this regard. If you go to Shanghai or Bratislava, Montivideo or Oslo, Liverpool are a huge club with a fanbase that far far exceeds Man City, Chelsea, Anzhi or PSG. You don't build that overnight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I wasn't being disparaging about Duff's time at Chelsea, however, he did not get the game time he deserved particularly when Robben joined. As regards the 'pressurised environment' comment you made, Duff left as he was finding it hard to get a regular game, a situation not helped by the amount of injuries he seemed to pick up at that time.
    It definitely wasn't due to lack of games - he played more often at Chelsea than he has at any other club, including Blackeye Rovers. As I remember it his injury problems only became chronic once he joined Newcastle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Duff#Club_2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
    I think that the Liverpool board will give him time, barring a disastrous run of results.
    Say, like 4 wins from their first 15 league games? And elimination from two out of two cup competitions before Christmas (pending!)

It depends how you view what constitutes a top club. Obviously, having a top class team would be a major factor, but for me history and pedigree go a long way.
    In the context of Shane Long's development as a player, the former is what matters.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 05/12/2012 at 12:53 PM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I hope Long doesn't move to Liverpool as I feel Irish players have not fared well when they have been at bigger clubs. Gibson, Dunne, Given, Keane and Duff would probably have mixed feelings about their time at these clubs.
    Dunne left before City became they a top club but was the fans player of the year he left if I'm not mistaken. Given moved about 5 years too late and was on the decline by the time he moved. Duff had a very good record at Chelsea he and Robben were excellent in the 2004/2005 season. Gibson probably stayed at United for too long but looks like a good player in a decent Everton side. Keane though had a bad time at Liverpool and his last spell at Tottenham but still managed to score a few goals.

I think Long has all the attributes to do well at most clubs and his record over the last two seasons against the top teams speaks for itself.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    It definitely wasn't due to lack of games - he played more often at Chelsea than he has at any other club, including Blackeye Rovers. As I remember it his injury problems only became chronic once he joined Newcastle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damien_Duff#Club_2
    Statistics, statistics, statistics! Charlie, how many of these games were starts as distinct from substitute appearances? Duff was injured quite a bit in 2006 and his form had begun to dip according to posters on his thread on here. It was quite a surprise when he joined Newcastle, in fact one poster referred to them as a basket case. Maybe it's time to agree to disagree on this subject?
    Last edited by gastric; 05/12/2012 at 8:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts

Liverpool and the two Milans have had some of the greatest players and club teams of all time. They are among the best supported clubs in the world - maybe less so the two Milan teams outside Europe in this regard. If you go to Shanghai or Bratislava, Montivideo or Oslo, Liverpool are a huge club with a fanbase that far far exceeds Man City, Chelsea, Anzhi or PSG. You don't build that overnight.
    All that comes under the auspices of being a big club in my opinion. Being a top club is very different in my opinion and based on recent form. Manchester United, Citeh and Chelsea are the top clubs in England right now. Reliance solely on history and pedigree means a team is currently irrelevant and living on its past.

Page 46 of 115 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast