Page 110 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 2287

Thread: Shane Long

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Delap would have had 50+ caps if he had been on the scene 10 years later than he was. Suffered from being a utility player at a time when we had fairly established players in nearly every position.

Mick's second stint in charge would have been mostly Delap flinging 40 yard throw ins at Shane Duffy's head if he had been around at that time.

I do wonder if Rory Delap had been a more established player in the Ireland setup would Liam Delap have been more likely to have played for us.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Delap would have had 50+ caps if he had been on the scene 10 years later than he was. Suffered from being a utility player at a time when we had fairly established players in nearly every position.

Mick's second stint in charge would have been mostly Delap flinging 40 yard throw ins at Shane Duffy's head if he had been around at that time.

I do wonder if Rory Delap had been a more established player in the Ireland setup would Liam Delap have been more likely to have played for us.
    Iceland made fantastic use of their Delaps.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    had a fell out with Staunton?
    Then Trap vanished him

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    had a fell out with Staunton?
    Then Trap vanished him
    Did you hear this from the horse’s head ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Did you hear this from the horse’s head ?
    Delap was known to holiday in Argentina.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

6. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Delap was known to holiday in Argentina.
    didnt know that one. He was unused by the irish managers

he became a cult footie figure down here because of his throws-in and the whole ritual, the towel, and his missiles

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Was he a bigger cult figure than Frank Stapleton?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Could we have got more out of him ? Bar Robbie Keane he was probably one of our higher level players ( attacker anyway ) for most of those years. Playing against some of the lower level international teams would be close enough to playing a championship team. I just don’t think we never got the best out of him for whatever reason !

He definitely suffered from being a Good Sub ~ ~ Perhaps he should have dug in and " demanded to be started "

Tis a funny one. He certainly did not overproduce at international level. Obviously a different era but it would be interesting to see how he would have played off a Niall Quinn ?
    I definitely don't think we made the most of his biggest weapon - his pace. I watched his seventeen goals a little while ago (still a reasonable tally) and only the Germany goal and one in a friendly against Serbia were as a result of him getting into a footrace with defenders. We should have been doing what we did against Germany time and time again - invite teams on and once we get the ball, immediately play it past the opposition backline for Long to chase

10. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Did we not try and do that? Probably an underappreciated part of that goal was that it didn't come from inviting Germany on. We were attacking and they broke quickly from it, hence why Walters was still offside. If we had been inviting them on at the time, Long wouldn't have been in a position to run in behind and the Germany defenders wouldn't have been caught on their heels trying to change direction.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    best player on the pitch with ward-prowse 2best

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    The Athletic reporting Josh King might be moving from Bournemouth to Southampton and they're stating Shane Long could go the other way on loan with an option to buy.

"The deal would see King join Southampton on a permanent basis for a small fee and Republic of Ireland striker Long to head the other way on loan with an option to buy."

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Loan to Bournemouth confirmed.

Last edited by tetsujin1979; 02/02/2021 at 9:13 AM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    745 Posts
    Long goes on loan to Bournemouth right at the end of the transfer window. Out of the Premier League for the first time in 10 years but credit to him all the same for not just taking the easy pay cheque at Southampton.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Hopefully he can build up his fitness and form and make a case to be the tip of the spear for World Cup qualifying. The kids don’t look ready and/or are injured and it’s looking like it will be between him and Collins.

18. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Hopefully he can build up his fitness and form and make a case to be the tip of the spear for World Cup qualifying. The kids don’t look ready and/or are injured and it’s looking like it will be between him and Collins.
    You're right, unfortunately.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Yeah, it doesn't look like there's an alternative at centre forward coming through from the younger lads at present. Idah had an injury and he's still only 19 so that is quite understandable.

With Didzy gone, a sharp Long is definitely our best option there. Far better option than Collins I think. Robinson is another option but I'm not sure whether he is the type of centre forward Kenny needs. Not sure if Long is either but his sheer pace and ability to stretch defences could be useful.

If Long can get into that team and stay there and get into a goalscoring groove then I would be very happy. He had 21 goals the last time he was in the Championship- albeit that was 10 years ago! But given that he often needs a few chances to score, playing more regularly at a lower level and getting more chances might help him to improve his conversion rate and bring that into the Ireland side.

Overall, I wouldn't complain too much about a side like this:
    Randolph; Coleman, O'Shea/Clark, Egan, Stevens; Knight, Hendrick, McCarthy; Connolly, Long, Robinson. Brady and Molumby are options too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Overall, I wouldn't complain too much about a side like this:
    Randolph; Coleman, O'Shea/Clark, Egan, Stevens; Knight, Hendrick, McCarthy; Connolly, Long, Robinson. Brady and Molumby are options too.
    a fit brady starts every time for me. one of our few truly decent players and his fitness and form have been good recently

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    a fit brady starts every time for me. one of our few truly decent players and his fitness and form have been good recently
    Randolph (westwood); Coleman, Doherty (Kev. Long), Egan, Stevens; Dara OShea; James McCarthy, Cullen (Molumby); Connor Ronan (Jack Byrne-Robbie Brady); Connolly, Shane Long.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    Yeah, I don't disagree entirely. I just don't know where to play him. I found he drifted in and out of games or defaulted to playing too far left when he played midfield under Kenny. And when he played as part of a front three under Mick once or twice I felt that he pulled far too wide also.

I suppose the challenge is that he's a traditional winger in many regards and that makes it difficult for him to adjust to playing in or against sides using a 3-4-3 or a 4-3-3 where a high press and an overload are used to cause bother.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Cullen and McCarthy for me everytime in the middle. We need 2 DM