Page 62 of 115 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 2287

Thread: Shane Long

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Robbie when he was regarded as total failure and going through a barren spell, had 6 goals and 5 assists for Liverpool in the PL from 15 games, where he often played on the wing, subbed and dropped on a whim.
    From 15 games at West Brom Shane has 3 goals in 15 games and 1 assist.
    I hope he'll do better at Hull, so far so good there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Robbie when he was regarded as total failure and going through a barren spell, had 6 goals and 5 assists for Liverpool in the PL from 15 games, where he often played on the wing, subbed and dropped on a whim.
    Robbie actually had 5 League goals in 19 League games for Liverpool, which isn't dissimilar to what Shane Long has this season. Robbie was also 28 years old and at his peak as opposed to 34 years old and playing in the MLS. He would have been one of first names on the teamsheet, even for me as hard as that is to believe for some people.

There are two completely different viewpoints when it comes to Keane at Liverpool. For every person that thinks he looked out of his depth, there is a person who think he wasn't given a chance. Benitez didn't want Keane at Liverpool for reasons only he knew and he cut the legs out from under him at every turn. David N'Gog was given more of a chance ffs.

The bottom line is Keane's performances at club level have been tailing off ever since until he got his move to the MLS. They have been tailing off at International level too and no amount of goals against the Faroe Islands and Georgia can change the fact that I think we should be considering other options in certain games.

Long is younger, faster, sharper, better link player and more suited to playing as a lone striker.

Some people seem to want him to fail..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    I really hope we don't go the lone striker route under O'Neill, we find it hard on a regular basis to score with two!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    You'd expect him to improve at a better side like Hull, who are actually set up to win games rather than just nick the odd goal, with a better manager like Bruce. Hopefully he can take confidence from his start and kick on and realise his potential.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Robbie actually had 5 League goals in 19 League games for Liverpool, which isn't dissimilar to what Shane Long has this season. Robbie was also 28 years old and at his peak as opposed to 34 years old and playing in the MLS. He would have been one of first names on the teamsheet, even for me as hard as that is to believe for some people.

There are two completely different viewpoints when it comes to Keane at Liverpool. For every person that thinks he looked out of his depth, there is a person who think he wasn't given a chance. Benitez didn't want Keane at Liverpool for reasons only he knew and he cut the legs out from under him at every turn. David N'Gog was given more of a chance ffs.

The bottom line is Keane's performances at club level have been tailing off ever since until he got his move to the MLS. They have been tailing off at International level too and no amount of goals against the Faroe Islands and Georgia can change the fact that I think we should be considering other options in certain games.

Long is younger, faster, sharper, better link player and more suited to playing as a lone striker.

Some people seem to want him to fail..
    Is this some kind of chronic affliction, that you have an uncontrollable need to misrepresent Robbie's stats from the past?
    Robbie, totally out of sorts at an epl club, started 15 epl games for Liverpool, had 5 goals and 6 assists and you say that's similar to Shane?
    Shane started 13 epl games for West Brom and 2 for Hull. Shane has 4 goals 1 assist.
    Is that not an even enough game-time comparison?

Whatever opinion you have of Robbie now, no need to confuse those opinions with makey-up opinions, based on fake stats from Robbie's past in order to boost Shane. Most everybody here would like to see Shane either make the assist or make the goal for us, ultimately much of his game is going to be measured by those 2 things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Is this some kind of chronic affliction, that you have an uncontrollable need to misrepresent Robbie's stats from the past?
    Robbie, totally out of sorts at an epl club, started 15 epl games for Liverpool, had 5 goals and 6 assists and you say that's similar to Shane?
    Shane started 13 epl games for West Brom and 2 for Hull. Shane has 4 goals 1 assist.
    Is that not an even enough game-time comparison?

Whatever opinion you have of Robbie now, no need to confuse those opinions with makey-up opinions, based on fake stats from Robbie's past in order to boost Shane. Most everybody here would like to see Shane either make the assist or make the goal for us, ultimately much of his game is going to be measured by those 2 things.
    http://www.soccerbase.com/players/pl...layer_id=11957

These are Robbie Keane's correct stats, not random figures pulled out of thin air, like yours. His goalscoring and assist records in his second spell at Spurs, at West Ham and at Aston Villa is no better than Shane Long's goalscoring and assist records at West Brom and Hull.

That's what I am judging Robbie on. His goalscoring and performances against top 3 seeded teams. I have never once misrepresented his stats, unlike what you have blatantly done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    My opinion is not unprecedented. Luis Aragones was heavily criticised for dropping Raul before Spain went on to win 3 successive tournaments. Now certain people are going to deliberately misrepresent what I am saying and say that I am implying that we have players like Fernando Torres and David Villa. They didn't just drop Raul because they had better alternatives up front. It freed Spain and allowed them to play in a different way. Look where it's got them.

If Keane was a couple of years younger, playing at a higher level and playing consistently, he would be anyone's first name on the team sheet.

The other bone of contention with what I am saying is quotes from the proverbial horses mouth. People lambasted me for making up fallacious quotes and then I provide links to several different news outlets who interpreted his quotes the exact same way I did.

Anyways. Just my opinion and I am not saying Ireland will win Euro 2016 if they set up in a different formation and select a different line of attack. I am simply saying we may make progress in proportion to the progress Spain, Belgium and other countries have made.

Deeply Sorry if it seems like I am the one who keeps bringing this up but it's other people who keep bringing up Long and Keane on different threads in an effort to belittle my harmless opinion.

*Addendum*

Just feel it's important to reiterate that I do still view Keane as an important player like any member of the squad. I completely agree that he is more likely to score against Macedonia or Georgia than any of our other strikers. I also believe he would be a great option to have off the bench in other games where he isn't fit enough to last 90 minutes (as I speak he is currently recovering from injury). I simply think rotation is the best way forward at this point. Sorry if my opinion bothers some people. Nevertheless, it is just an opinion.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 04/02/2014 at 4:41 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    People lambasted me for making up fallacious quotes and then I provide links to several different news outlets who interpreted his quotes the exact same way I did.
    Nobody claimed you made up fallacious quotes; just that you misinterpreted what Robbie was trying to say. Whether or not news outlets interpreted his words similarly to yourself is neither here nor there. News outlets aren't infallible. In fact, they're more-often-than-not susceptible to twisting or spinning the facts in order to stir a "story" and push an agenda. In Robbie's case, the alleged "story" was that he was prepared to walk out on Trap over a potential selection disagreement.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I think TOWK generally makes good points which if kept brief would hold water. The leaks appear with the supporting rationale and manipulation. All the stuff about Trap having a direct line to God, Irish fans being clueless, Ireland not getting any decisions at all go against them under Trap, Robbie's relatively meaningless stats, Robbie storming off in a hissy fit and taking his ball home if he's not picked, Paul Green being a perpetual Irish liability, nobody else matching Roy's standards, etc. are all straight out of the "Irish Football Cliches For Those With an Agenda" manual, written by several foot.ie WUMs with a forward by David Kelly.

But absolutely there is merit in the contention that Keane's presence may not be compatible with our most effective XI, that Trap didn't trust our best players and preferred grafters, that Keane ought to inject some positivity and confidence along with O'Neill. I don't think any of the actual key points are ever disputed, but the presentation frequently is.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 05/02/2014 at 5:24 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Wes Brown sent off for a challenge on Shane Long when the latter was one on one with Mannone. Just outside the box, so no penalty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Long has scored.

Goal! Goal! Sunderland 0, Hull City 1. Shane Long (Hull City) header from very close range to the high centre of the goal. Assisted by Jake Livermore following a corner.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25994883
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 08/02/2014 at 2:17 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    Long has scored.

Goal! Goal! Sunderland 0, Hull City 1. Shane Long (Hull City) header from very close range to the high centre of the goal. Assisted by Jake Livermore following a corner.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25994883
    GOAL- Sunderland 0-1 Hull - Shane Long (16 mins)
    Another January signing does the business! Tom Huddlestone whips in a fine corner which is only palmed out by Vito Mannone, Jake Livermore shoots toward goal and Shane Long springs into action to help the ball over the line from close range with a deft little header.

One nil down and down to 10 men? A long way back for Sunderland...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    HITS THE WOODWORK - Sunderland 0-1 Hull
    Sunderland are lucky to still be in this. Hull have been excellent and go close to a second again, Shane Long pinging a left-footed drive against the frame of the goal from 25 yards. What a hit!

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 08/02/2014 at 7:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,314 Posts
    just seen the tackle from Brown on Long, he's lucky he didn't break Long's knee. That was a horrific challenge.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    just seen the tackle from Brown on Long, he's lucky he didn't break Long's knee. That was a horrific challenge.
    It was terrible.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Don't think there was any intend there, personally I think he would have been better off letting Long shoot, I agree with the commentator
    Andy Gray(?) on the point, but a reckless lung which ever way you look at it.
    It seems Wes Brown has a much higher opinion of Long's finishing ability than a few posters here.
    Does seem to look worse on TV than on the linked video.
    Anyway good see Long getting off to a good start at Hull, second consecutive goal.
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 09/02/2014 at 1:17 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    That effort off his left peg by Shane could have been an awesome goal. Disappointing.

I might have to compile something on Long's goaloints ratio. He normally scores important goals which either win points or are against bigger PL sides. He got the first against Spurs and against Sunderland. I remember he scored against Chelsea and Manchester United in his first few games for WBA also. Important 3 points for Hull today. I hope he maintains a strong goalscoring record.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/09/why-sh...O=news-sitemap

Shane Long has improved Hull City; praise for Paul McShane.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Assist by Long for Jelavic to put Hull 2 up at Cardiff.