Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Supporters Clubs in Colleges and Universities

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet View Post
    UCD is a special case though. You could have a general supporters' club in the other colleges but UCD's not going to provide facilities for our rivals' supporters.
    I'm talking about an NSLA-type general eL promotion / communication presence, not an SC exclusive to any one club. If UCD fans were against that, it would be a very bitter, stupid attitude.
    ONE CITY, ONE TEAM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    I'm talking about an NSLA-type general eL promotion / communication presence, not an SC exclusive to any one club. If UCD fans were against that, it would be a very bitter, stupid attitude.

I don't think he's talking about the fans to be fair. I couldn't see UCD funding a club (via some form of grant) that supports a team in direct opposition to the university. It'd be like having a "We wish we were in Trinity College Club" or something.
    Foot.ie's entire existence is predicated on the average idiot's inability to ignore other idiots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaime View Post
    You can call me bitter and stupid but I have no intention of putting up posters for Shams, Shels or anyone else.
    We raise the profile of the league by promoting our own club. We've had plenty of non UCD fans in the past who joined to enter our table quizes or 5-a-side competitions but they knew when they joined that it is a UCD supporters' club.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Student Mullet View Post
    You can call me bitter and stupid but I have no intention of putting up posters for Shams, Shels or anyone else.
    We raise the profile of the league by promoting our own club. We've had plenty of non UCD fans in the past who joined to enter our table quizes or 5-a-side competitions but they knew when they joined that it is a UCD supporters' club.

Not denying UCD their right to have a funded SC, but I don't see how the two couldn't co-exist. Anyhow, there obviously isn't the demand to get the thing started in the first place so we'll leave it at that.
    ONE CITY, ONE TEAM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile View Post
    A face, I remember the year before last someone trying to start a Cork City SC in UCC here. He wasn't successful - I understand that the reason was that the Soccer Club was already established and it would be possible to set up Liverpool SC and MUFC supporters clubs (Mancs not Mons). On reflection I think the approach to take was to set up a National League Supporters Society. There are horse racing societies, science fiction society, poker society etc - all minority interests. The eL is a minority interest. Also, by taking it away from the club element it broadens potential membership.
    Yeah that was my boyfriend. Theyre going to try it again this year as there are more hardcore city fans going into first year. Trying o find a way around it by maybe having a group/club rather than society. Won't get the funding but at least there'l be something

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Would never happen/work in Dublin, way too many colleges. Fans of different clubs are spread out all across the city unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Yeah that was my boyfriend. Theyre going to try it again this year as there are more hardcore city fans going into first year. Trying o find a way around it by maybe having a group/club rather than society. Won't get the funding but at least there'l be something
    If I was in charge of clubs and socs would be against CCFC Supporters Club on campus. Next stop Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea SCs. The only way to go is to have an eL Supporters Club (which would of course given the location be dominated by CCFC lads). But there are also a lot of Waterford and Kilkenny students (and a smattering from Limerick) who might join an eL club but wouldn't go near a CCFC club. And for clubs and societies numbers is the name of the game.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    If I was in charge of clubs and socs would be against CCFC Supporters Club on campus. Next stop Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea SCs.
    Its all in the proposal !!

If people took a bit of time to think it through and present their case properly, then it wouldn't be a problem. If you support an eL club then you could be a student society that would have a positive effect on the student body, encouraging support for, and participation in, sport in the life of college students.

eL clubs provide a great structured, event with security and facilities (licencing pays off) and in alot of case is the biggest event in those clubs towns in any weekend, and eL societies can be more than just fans supporting their clubs, they can be as active as you want, charity events etc. while promoting the club, and in the name of the club giving something back to the community.

It might be argued that eL clubs give nothing to the community, but with a collective of likeminded fans all pushing in the same direction you could turn that around. eL societies are a perfect vehicle for that.

If presented properly and well intended, then there is no reason that a society should be turned down. Its a given people would have to put in a bit of work but if it meant subsidicign tickets to games for students then i'd say they would go for it.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    IMHO the best way, and certainly the first step, to promote clubs in colleges, beyond the hardcore, is simply by postering. You don't need a society to do that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley View Post
    IMHO the best way, and certainly the first step, to promote clubs in colleges, beyond the hardcore, is simply by postering. You don't need a society to do that.
    Doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Its all in the proposal !!
    But is it an eL supporters club or a CCFC supporters club?
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Student Society started today in CIT and 170 signed up so far. Mostly Cork city fans, but a few Waterford and Limerick fans. Cork City tickets €13 will be subsidised to €10, other clubs, nothing is final yet.

The first meeting will take place in the New Student Services building on Tuesday (either 5.00 or 6.00, not sure yet) in meeting room One and we'll have tickets there for sale.

Can anyone confirm if anything is starting in WIT or LIT ??
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Best of luck with it A Face. I thought you were talkign about UCC, not CIT. UCC refused a CCFC SC last year. Obviously CIT clubs and socs are a much more enlightened bunch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Best of luck with it A Face. I thought you were talkign about UCC, not CIT. UCC refused a CCFC SC last year. Obviously CIT clubs and socs are a much more enlightened bunch.
    Yeah, they more geared to helping and facilitating students to be honest. They have welcome every single idea that has been suggested so far .... every single one, you cant do better than that to be honest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by derrymac View Post
    Yeah, the QUBDCFCSC has been going for a few years and organise a bus to all the away games - that is every game... they even organised a bus for the Linfield match at Winsor Park in the Setanta Cup. They raise most of the money by winning the societies pub quiz every week. MariborKev was one of the organisors but keeps saying he is going travelling if Derry's european cup runs ends so hopefully he'll still be there for a while.

seems to be a very well ran club. see them about QUB at the quizes when in competition with the NI club for the money,and also had a sizeable crowd in Speakeasy before the Linfield game last year . I doubt that QUB would give much support or any to any supporters clubs not aimed at the uni teams, but not sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12