Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Mayo Cup Final 2006

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Mayo Cup Final 2006

Well, thank God for that. We beat Celtic in the way that everyone knew we could and showed them up for what they are, a very average junior team, hyped beyond all proportion just because of a high profile manager who talks the talk alright but when it comes to winning real games (Connacht Cup final, Junior Cup semi-final) is found out when it comes to walking the walk. All this talk of plans and being a year ahead of schedule is nonsense but the problem is it fools a few people, particularly Celtic committee members it seems, and the bluster gets passed off as fact. Yesterday, Celtic were again shown up by a team on Milebush that plays football. No amount of bluster can hide that simple fact. Well done to the lads in red and black (what happened the green and white jerseys by the way) for restoring the natural order. Most importantly though, best wishes from all true covies to Gerry Burke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Proud cove View Post
    of a high profile manager who talks the talk alright but when it comes to winning real games (Connacht Cup final, Junior Cup semi-final) is found out when it comes to walking the walk.
    Well done on yesterday's result.Just I'd like to take you to task on your view of Dykes.He was a fine player in his day but is still unproven as a manager. He has faced relegation at Finn Harps and Derry City, in the latter he was saved in extra time as Derry City beat Finn Harps in a relegation play-off. I haven't much time for him.Any manager can succeed by trying to buy the league, by buying the best there is out there.If it fails then your leaving a club in a perilous position.Personally I cannot see how Celtic can survive given the money been talked of at the club.Few Eircom League sides paying out that much.I dont consider him to be a high profile manager.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Gavin Dykes is a bluffer plane and simple!He nearly got Derry City relagated.Then Stephen Kenny comes in and finishes runner up to Cork City the next season with nearly the same team!His tactics are simple lump it up and hunt for the scraps!And Castlebar have a few lads tere that can play a bit.But its his way our the highway!

And the min something better comes along he,s off!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guess who's back?

Well Proud Cove - you don't mince you're words, and you're absolutely right. Celtic had no answer to our passing game. They rely too heavily on the pace of the wide men and strikers and of course (the obligatory) 'long ball' to get them through - when will they learn that it won't work on a good surface against a team who plays it on the deck. Westport, take a bow, you were all superb.

What about the controversy though? Does anyone think (like me) that Celtic find it terribly hard being beaten? Is that arrogance or childishness?

Get well soon to Gerry Burke - from gnasher in Ward G.

And by the way - to the 'X-Factor' wannabe who brightened up my day by (very badly) attempting to *******ize Glasgow Celtic songs and make them derogatory towards Westport - don't give up the dole - it's the only chance you have.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thankfully, I was on the stand side and missed out

on what you're referring to. Heard there was some pretty low life behaviour going on over there, but we shouldn't be too surprised, there's previous there. Of course they can't handle losing, especially to Westport United, but they should be able to accept it with some form of dignity. I think the problem they have is the voiciferously abusive minority who give an inaccurate picture of the club. The same 'people' were there the week before at Celtic Park too shouting abuse at United after the match. It's a pity that they haven't been weeded out of club and that there appears to be a reluctance to do so. I met a lot of genuine Celtic people there on Sunday and they were accepting of their lot, they knew they were well beaten and not afraid to admit it. They are the real Celtic supporters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gnasher View Post
    And by the way - to the 'X-Factor' wannabe who brightened up my day by (very badly) attempting to *******ize Glasgow Celtic songs and make them derogatory towards Westport - don't give up the dole - it's the only chance you have.
    I was over at the stand side and all I could do was laugh at his pathetic singing and what looked like "nazi salutes" thrown in. No question he made a fool of himself. Welcome back Gnash!!
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    the mayo cup final was very one sideded alright... i thaught the level of abuse comming from both sets of supporters is something we see every time the teams meet weather in celtic park,milebush,or in sports ground. how long till dykes walkes the plank....??? 650 quid !!!!
    give me john clarke of ballyheane any day at least he knows how to keep the ball on the deck great performances against the top sides all season pity that attitude wasnt carried into the snugboros and mannula's with no disrespect..

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well full marks must go to brendan O connor for leaving himself off. tough decission was made, but a winning one.
    Can't say the gray one would make such a decission as that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by robben 11 View Post
    sports ground
    Sports Park.

Everyone is well immune to the verbal violence and provocative gestures at the Westport United V Castlebar Celtic games.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    are they yea well thats great

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by robben 11 View Post
    the mayo cup final was very one sideded alright... i thaught the level of abuse comming from both sets of supporters is something we see every time the teams meet weather in celtic park,milebush,or in sports ground. how long till dykes walkes the plank....??? 650 quid !!!!
    give me john clarke of ballyheane any day at least he knows how to keep the ball on the deck great performances against the top sides all season pity that attitude wasnt carried into the snugboros and mannula's with no disrespect..
    Sooner or later they'll figure him out - it always happens. Maybe Steve Staunton can manage Celtic next - that would be a laugh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I thought that Bobby Gould was linked to the job!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster View Post
    I thought that Bobby Gould was linked to the job!!
    you got a great write up in the western and you did ask for it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Any chance of Gary Neville and Paul Robinson coming to Mayo to teach our players on backpasses??