Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Team v Cyprus, Czech Republic

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Team v Cyprus, Czech Republic

Possible injuries aside, what do we think?

I think the following must be in the team:
    Given
    Finnan
    Dunne
    O'Brien
    S Reid
    A Reid
    Duff
    Keane
    Doyle

I'd go for Harte (if he's recovered in time) at left back - in deadball alone he quite simply offers more than O'Shea (should be kept in squad but fundamentally not good enough for the first team), Kilbane (the man knows how to run around, granted, but he cannot play) and Carr (his temperament and foul mouth, coupled with sub-par form, leads you to question Stan's alacrity in getting him back in the fold) - and probably Carsley to partner S Reid and anchor the midfield. Reid prospers at Blackburn largely because he has the hard-working, hard-tackling Savage breaking up play for him. Carsley, as similarly lacking in talent as Savage, can do this job for us.

While in the future I want to see Andy Reid as a playmaking centre midfielder for us, for now I think he is the right man for the wing. Doesn't matter too much which one - I thought one of the strengths of the Kerr era was the introduction of Reid and Duff switching wings: not only would his inclusion take the creative burden off Duff, but it would keep the fullbacks guessing. He also gives us another credible option at deadball, peerless (in this squad) passing ability, excellent vision and international experience against stronger teams.

I like what I've seen thusfar of Alan O'Brien - the speedy supersub winger seems to be the idee du jour (Odonkor for Germany, Lennon for England), and he opened up opportunities against both Holland and Germany when he came on. Keep him in there.

McGeady - I'm not so sure. I haven't seen anything from him to allay the criticisms of him being too lightweight, and of his tendency to show plenty of tricks and feints with little end result of worth. Should certainly not be keeping Andy Reid out of the squad, but probably deserves to hang on to a place for the time being.

What say ye?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Good post agree with nearly everything there. I think Mc Geady should be ahead of Alan O Brien to come on though if Reid gets a bit tired in the 2nd half.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    my team would be

Given
    carr dunne o brien o shea (harte sub)
    finnan reid reid duff
    keane
    doyle

carr only because i know he is not goin to be dropped
    im gona stone stan's house if he picks kilbane , i live beside his folks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Finnan in midfield against Cyprus is there any need for that, surely a full back in midfield should only be played away from home against a top team.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Good post alright. All makes sense.

The big question about McGeady is when does he cease to be a speculative selection? I'd be inclined to take a gamble on him & would have started him in Germany on the basis of his second half against Holland, especially as Andy Reid wasn't even in the squad. But it'd be a punt alright. I've seen him excel and I've seen him absolutely dire (friendly at Fulham last year, U21s at Tolka against Switzerland).

Of those more vociferous in their call for McGeady to be included, can you educate me as to exactly what position he's been so good for Celtic this season? Wide, advanced midfield, or free?

Carsley & S. Reid would probably be sound but not overly creative. Not sure if we can't do better than that pairing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    All great in theory lads, but i get the feeling stan wont change much from last sat and he is unlikely to move JOS out of midfield.

Carsley??? Have my doubts but anyway is he not retired again?
    Andy Reid should be there i agree, but he needs to get good games for charlton under his belt.
    I'd also like us to devise some sort of plan b, other than hoof the ball up to doyle and keane who for their size did quite well in the air on sat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I would play

given

harte dunne A o brian finnan

Macgeady Miller S Reid A Reid duff

and Doyle up front on his own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    I would play

given

harte dunne A o brian finnan

Macgeady Miller S Reid A Reid duff

and Doyle up front on his own.

Surely you would have Harte at left back and Finnan at Right back. I see you have dropped our record goal scorer also. Also Dunne usually plays on the left of the centre back two.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Dunne usually plays on the left of the centre back two.
    distin plays on the left, he's left footed. Dunne is right footed and plays on the right
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    For Ireland though he usually plays as the left centre back.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The reason we have no plan is whenyou have central midfield of O Shea and Kilbane you are not going to go anywhere. I think we can all go around the houses about the rest of the team. But this is the area that needs to be sorted out and sorted quickly. I think a Carsley Stephen Reid and Andy Reid 2 from 3 is the solution. You have natural central midfield players who know how to play the ball simple when required and in Reids case knows how to pick a pass out that others may not see. You also have good tacklers in all of them. Possibley Carsley A Reid would not have the legs but Stephen Reid would have.

This needs to be sorted quickly and O Shea and Kilbane should be asked to fight for the left back spot along with Harte.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    the back four should have been the other way round.
    my mistake
    as for what side either of the two centre backs play it s not really relevant. unless you were pathetically trying to pick holes just for the sake some sad little points scoring excercise. you wouldnt be doin that now would ya?
    and yeah I would drop robbie keane. he doesnt score goals and he spends most of his time giving out to reffs and being where he shouldnt be on the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Well Dunne usually plays on the left side and for Ireland that is pretty good esp if Harte plays as Dunne is a good talker and has good pace also so would be able to cover for Harte. Not interested in points scoring whatsover, just having a chat about football.
    In Trap we trust

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    my team would be

Given
    carr dunne o brien o shea (harte sub)
    finnan reid reid duff
    keane
    doyle

carr only because i know he is not goin to be dropped
    im gona stone stan's house if he picks kilbane , i live beside his folks
    I think this is our best team at the moment:

GK:Given
    LB:Harte
    CBunne
    CB:O'Brien
    RB:Finnan
    LMuff
    CM:S.Reid
    CM:Kavanagh
    RM:McGeady
    SToyle
    ST:Keane

Have a seroius doubt about central midfield, but thought Kavanagh was the best man for the job, also leftback is dodgy, but we should be playing naturally left footed players in the position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanieBoy View Post
    I think this is our best team at the moment:

GK:Given
    LB:Harte
    CB: Dunne
    CB:O'Brien
    RB:Finnan
    LM: Duff
    CM:S.Reid
    CM:Kavanagh
    RM:McGeady
    ST: Doyle
    ST:Keane

Have a seroius doubt about central midfield, but thought Kavanagh was the best man for the job, also leftback is dodgy, but we should be playing naturally left footed players in the position.
    I'd agree with most of that, I'm not pushed about Harte or O'Shea at left back Harte offers somthing from set pieces but is defensively woeful, O'Shea is a bit more solid but offers nothing going forward.
    I would have Stephen Ireland in midfield in place of Kavanagh, I think he's more creative and Kav, honest as he is has never made be believe he can do it for Ireland.
    For the record I think O'Shea will play in the centre of midfield again

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Team

We need a forward looking team
    Given
    Finnan
    Dunne
    O'Brien
    O'Shea
    Duff
    Reid
    McGeady
    ?
    Doyle
    Keane

Now l am stuck for who to play on the left, there are various ways to play this. We could put it Reid but he would need to prove hes fitness. Also a place could be found for carr moving finnan to the middle. l think we need to be able to mix it up and maybe an attack minded 5 man midfield with Keane dropping back and Doyle holding the ball up. For this we Duf on his game and we need skill so KILBANE GET LOST

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzbizz View Post
    We need a forward looking team
    Given
    Finnan
    Dunne
    O'Brien
    O'Shea
    Duff
    Reid
    McGeady
    ?
    Doyle
    Keane

Now l am stuck for who to play on the left
    eh, you have Duff and McGeady in your team and your stuck for someone on the left?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    l would play mcgeady in the middle and yes sorry Duff on the left (not the right as l had stated).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    There's so many permutations I can't select my onw personal 11.. Never mind predict Stans..

I'd only pick Harte if we're gonna "Go long" a bit more and play a simpler game, but with no real physical presence up front (As good as doyle is doing) and with Duff in front of him I'm not sure I'd run with Harte. If we're actually gonna play football I think I'd go with O'Shea at LB, with Andy Reid accomadated in the middle. However if we're gonna attack down either flank with Duff and McGeady and try get in behind their full backs more. I think Carr and Finnan as a primarily defensive full back unit would be best in that situation. There are few positions on the pitch that actualy demand a starter, aside from the obvious, so each selection has a number of condition further increasing the variables.. (I've gone cross eyed)

I dunno.. As of this minute (And believe me it changes every time I give it some thought) I'd try

Given
    Finnan, Dunne, O'Brien, O'Shea
    A.Reid, S.Reid, Carlsey, Duff
    Doyle, Keane

I'd give Duffer license to switch flanks with A.Reid and ask Reid to play a little deeper and recieve the ball from defenders, and quite not as a winger as such. This would require allot of understanding and awareness from S. Reid, Andy and Duffer. It might also require Robbie Keane coming deeper and wide right, which I've seen him do at spurs. If it's a case where Duff is being doubled up on I'd introduce McGeady to capitalise on the attention Duff is getting. I'm not sure how much better Carsley would fair in a defensive roll in this team, but he warrants a call given his experience, our recent performances and our distinct lack of options.

It's always a bad sign for any team when you can't ID the managers first 10 or 11... Even if you agree with his selection or not.
    Last edited by dr_peepee; 07/09/2006 at 6:36 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    It's a waste of time and space picking a team without O"Shea.
    It's a cert that he will be selected in midfield.
    Reluctantly or not, you have to put him in the team and select who else will fit in midfield.

With Harte fit
    Finnan O'Brien Dunne Harte
    A Reid S Reid O'Shea Duff
    Doyle Keane

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast