Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Gallas denies Chelsea "own goal" allegations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Gallas denies Chelsea "own goal" allegations

CNN Website

PARIS, France -- French international defender William Gallas denied on Tuesday that he made any threats against his former club Chelsea in order to force a move away from Stamford Bridge.

On Monday, the English champions said in a statement that Gallas refused to play for the team and threatened to score an own goal or make deliberate mistakes if selected.

But Gallas has denied the claims, saying that Chelsea have lots of money -- but no style.

The central defender, a key member of the France team that reached the World Cup final, was sold to Arsenal last Thursday in exchange for England left back Ashley Cole and five million pounds ($9.52 million).

"I was adamant in my will to leave Chelsea, this is true," Gallas said in a statement to sports daily L'Equipe on Tuesday.

"But I'm surprised and shocked by Chelsea's comments. I never said that I would score an own goal if I had to play for Chelsea," he said.

"Some people are trying to explain my move (to Arsenal) thanks to cranky reproaches instead of assuming their own responsibilities in front of their fans," Gallas said.

"I have spent five years with Chelsea. I always gave the best of myself and I always proved that I had a great respect for the colors I wore. All this is really mean from Chelsea," he said.

"But it doesn't surprise me as it comes from the club's new officials. Even if these people have a lot of money they lack style," he said.

Chelsea statement
    In a statement, Chelsea blamed the speedy defender for refusing to play before the first game of the season against Manchester City despite there being no available replacements for him.

"He went on to threaten that if he was forced to play, or if he was disciplined and financially punished for his breach of the rules, that he could score an own goal or get himself sent off, or make deliberate mistakes," the statement added.

Gallas, who joined Chelsea from Olympique Marseille in 2001, played 225 league and cup matches for the club but asked to leave in May.

He angered team manager Jose Mourinho when he failed to report for pre-season training on Chelsea's tour of the United States.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I thought bthe allegiations by Chelsea were ridiculous, or would be for any other club but Chelsea. It seems like they are almost going out of their way to be hated than Man U

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

true blue

I think the Gallas issue as got out of hand Gallas is well noted for his tantrums,
    if he does nor get his way. ask Marrselles Why they sold the player.
    there was a clause in gallas contrect that any club would pay 6mill pounds he was free to walk.
    He always said he did not want to play left back Wenger said he got a player who can play Lt / rt and centre.
    one wonders how long will it take for Gallas to kick up if does not play in the Centre.
    Then he Gallas comes up with amazing statement that he could be the best player in the world if he played in one postion and showed him with respect.

Well I remember mourinho make a statement after a live match stating that Gallas was an unsong hero and deserves the credit by the way he plays.
    Josie as no problem with Gallas its Gallas that has the problem with Chelsea.
    Regards to there statment last Tuesday on there Website Chelsea has the right to reply to anything said about there club.
    Mourinho offered the olive branch to Gallas but he refused
    He Gallas was also offered the chance to tell the Fans Why he refused to play
    against Man City and to comment on matters as they stood.
    But he declined the offer,only to have a swipe at Chelsea when he left.