Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 65 milion for Dalymount

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Strange how on the day Bohs announce a multi-million Euro deal to sell Dalymount and move to a brand new stadium Ollie says he's paid off the Shels debt in full.

Didn't know Bohemians were into Loan Sharking at such an early stage...
    Kom Igen, FCK...

rerun
    Personally, I really enjoy going to Dalymount, I hope the new stadium is as good. It will be sad to see the floodlights go in Phibsboro, I always remember seeing them when I was a kid and thinking they were fantastic (Take them with you!!!).

On a more serious note, I hope Bohs invest the money sensibly in developing the club. I've heard talk of a youth academy, training facilities, and this all sounds great. New players need to be developed rather than bought on the eL transfer merry-go-round. If the transfer window comes and Bohs end up with half of the Shels squad for the start of next season, it will be fairly obvious that the usual suspects are leeching every penny they can get from the club and Bohs will end up pi$$ing all the money away on players wages.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I see in the lndo paper some local labour politician giving out that the residents weren't consulted etc

so bloodly what - if they cared about Dalyer and Bohs they would have been members - ****es me off these vote grappers coming out of the woodwork at times like this - its Bohs ground and they ca sell it if they want - tough monkeys.

Maybe if the ppoliticians pushed for more cash to be given to soccer like horseracing, then clubs wouldn't be forced to move out of their grounds.

Moan moan moan ...... sod them all.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Some lad texted Newstalk last night about Bohsenbourg.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    Maybe if the ppoliticians pushed for more cash to be given to soccer like horseracing
    Our bribes could never match a bookie's bribe.

I really think Bohs should hold off spending anything until the new stadium is officially opened. Im not sure if they have enough in 45m to produce a youth academy.

How finnpark would spend the money:

1. 23 man professional squad with full time manager (not Fenlon though), trainer etc. (E8m set aside for this transition). We are not talking about turning amateur players into pros - Bohs must buy abroad.

2. E12m on transfer fees and signing on fees.

3. E5m set aside for some form of academy to keep some of the top U-15 internationals in the country.

4. Keep E20m for security, continuing development, transfers when required etc.

Bohs could easily become better than Celtic of Scotland by employing the right experienced manager and attracting some bargain buys/bosmans etc. CL football should come to Dublin if Bohs spend wisely.

BTW the reason Norwegian football standard improved was that Rosenborg kept their youth talent in the country and developed many more young players with the CL money they got. If the LOI is to go anywhere we have to stop our youth going abroad.
    Last edited by finnpark; 06/09/2006 at 8:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    BTW the reason Norwegian football standard improved was that Rosenborg kept their youth talent in the country and developed many more young players with the CL money they got. If the LOI is to go anywhere we have to stop our youth going abroad.
    A deal of this size is going to allow Bohs to develop a youth academy, with the aim of keeping players at home.
    If this is played right, the old FAI-led mentality of grooming players exclusively for England is over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    I don't see why this has to necessarily herald in an era of Bohs dominance. The money would have to be spent wisely and a right balance has to be found. Shels have assembled a squad of tremendous quality yet won nothing last year. If such a squad can't guarantee success then Bohs will have to search abroad to build an even better one than that. They'll run the risk of bringing in over paid hasbeens like Farrelly or have to pay some top dollar to tempt quality foreign players here. I think it will be tough for them to enjoy full dominance even with the large wad of cash.
    Agreed. Relatively large sums of money definitely increases a club's chances of success, but by no means guarantees it.

Bohs will face the fundamental problem that some of the talent outside of Ireland just won't want to play in the Eircom League. The more mercenary element will, but even they would need to be paid a premium over what they'd get in England/Scotland.

I therefore suspect the biggest impact from Bohs money will be internal wage inflation in the EL - Bohs will hoover up pretty much any player they want in the league, leaving other clubs to have to up the pay of players that are left in order to attract them. City did something similar when we bought a lot of the Rovers squad in the late 1980's etc. At that time we were by-far the richest club north or south. That enabled us to secure the domestic treble, but then little else afterwards.

Can some of this money be used to pay the little sh!ts who go to Dalymount looking for touble to instead stay at home from now on...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeixlipRed View Post
    ffs, obviously every non Bohs fan is jealous.
    Speak for yourself, I'm certainly not jealous. I'll miss Dalymount, both as a D7 resident and a fan of the club that won more trophies there than anyone else, but I'm not jealous. There's a long hard road ahead of them and Liam Carroll is a snake of the lowest order but as far as I'm concerned good luck to Bohs.

KOH
    No One Likes Us, We Don't Care

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley View Post
    A deal of this size is going to allow Bohs to develop a youth academy, with the aim of keeping players at home.
    If this is played right, the old FAI-led mentality of grooming players exclusively for England is over.
    I sincerely hope that's right and that the cash somehow finds its way through the rest of the league & Irish soccer infrastructure.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Agreed. Relatively large sums of money definitely increases a club's chances of success, but by no means guarantees it.

Bohs will face the fundamental problem that some of the talent outside of Ireland just won't want to play in the Eircom League. The more mercenary element will, but even they would need to be paid a premium over what they'd get in England/Scotland.

I therefore suspect the biggest impact from Bohs money will be internal wage inflation in the EL - Bohs will hoover up pretty much any player they want in the league, leaving other clubs to have to up the pay of players that are left in order to attract them. City did something similar when we bought a lot of the Rovers squad in the late 1980's etc. At that time we were by-far the richest club north or south. That enabled us to secure the domestic treble, but then little else afterwards.

Can some of this money be used to pay the little sh!ts who go to Dalymount looking for touble to instead stay at home from now on...?
    Best thing all round is that a limited amount of the extra cash be spent on making sure that we are in contention for silverware, not necessarily enough to dominate in the short term but that with the rest going into youth structures/club infrastructure and other investments that in the long term we would be looking at a period of dominance (in say 10 - 15 years). As someone else said though no doubt this will benefit the rest of the league in the long term as Rosenborg's domination has done for the Norweigan league. I reckon a strong successful Bohs side in the league would improve the league's image and therefore put more bums on seats at other clubs, increasing their revenue and eventually allowing them to catch up.
    TO TELL THE TRUTH IS REVOLUTIONARY

The ONLY foot.ie user with a type of logic named after them!

All of this has happened before. All of it will happen again.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rerun View Post
    Personally, I really enjoy going to Dalymount, I hope the new stadium is as good. It will be sad to see the floodlights go in Phibsboro, I always remember seeing them when I was a kid and thinking they were fantastic (Take them with you!!!).
    I though I was the only one who was like that. Mind heading up to Dublin for games as a wee fella and always got the old buzz of the match when the Dalymount floodlights came into view - and the match mightn't even have been on in Dalyer.

They'll be missed from the Dublin skyline indeed, but good luck to Bohs with this deal.
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    The development of a top class academy system with proper coaches will allow Bohs to keep some of the talent in this country and this will be the key to the clubs future success. It will also have a knock on affect, with some of the kids going to other EL clubs in the end.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harpskid View Post
    I though I was the only one who was like that. Mind heading up to Dublin for games as a wee fella and always got the old buzz of the match when the Dalymount floodlights came into view - and the match mightn't even have been on in Dalyer.

They'll be missed from the Dublin skyline indeed, but good luck to Bohs with this deal.
    Me too. I'm originally from Navan and when we used to come to Dublin we'd always pass Dalymount and the floodlights were always a thing of wonder for me. One of the things that meant when I moved to Dublin in the mid 90's and started supporting a LOI club it was always going to be Bohs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    its a great deal for bohs and i wish them good fortune and it will change them greatly but it will not change the face of EL football
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roverstillidie View Post
    its a great deal for the pox, they are getting richly rewarded for letting their stadium crumble over years of neglect.

but as we have seen, buying success doesnt work here, so talk of Rosenburg style 11 in a rows is nonsense.
    Yeah we've seen what happened to Rovers and Hel. We've learned from your mistakes. Youth development is the way to go.
    11 in a row?
    I'd settle for 5 in a row.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    On my bus route also.
    In Trap we trust

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    So- O'Callaghan to Bohs then?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Im a bit confused about the wage cap so bear with me.

How will it affect Bohs next year. They may have all this money but if the wage cap is 65% of turnover then they cant amass a huge talented squad unless th players are willing to play for low enough wages which i doubt.

is there a way around it? Apologies if my question is ridiculous but was just wondering

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bohs til i die View Post
    the difference is the symbols in Boh€mian$ will respresnt money earned by Bohs, not taxpayers money at Shels.
    May I remind you who the only team not to pay their tax bill are

We have been making a right balls of things this season but we have paid up. Until we cross the line then hold off on the moral sh!t.
    John Delaney!! GET OUT!!!
    www.ssdg.ie

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Im a bit confused about the wage cap so bear with me.

How will it affect Bohs next year. They may have all this money but if the wage cap is 65% of turnover then they cant amass a huge talented squad unless th players are willing to play for low enough wages which i doubt.

is there a way around it? Apologies if my question is ridiculous but was just wondering
    I'd say if Bohs have the 4 million income they'll be allowed to allocate 65% to the playing budget. Can't be sure of course, as the FAI have not elaborated on any of these issues at all, which is a total fooking joke. We're just three months from the end of this season and haven't a clue about many vital issues affecting next season- when the whole idea is to induce proper planning and governance. How the hell can clubs plan when they don't know what is going on?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast