Page 101 of 229 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111151201 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0324/mcgeadya.html

this would be one of the better leagues for him to move to if he really wants away from Glasgow. Also BM are always gonna be getting Champions League football....

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Bayern Munich tracking McGeady according to some reports this morning.
    from http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...085024,00.html

With Ribery expected to leave this summer, McGeady could be his replacement. Would be some move.
    Who is the last Irish international to play in the Bundesliga? I honestly have no idea.
    Seamus Asamoah..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bayern Munich tracking McGeady according to some reports this morning.
    from http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...085024,00.html

With Ribery expected to leave this summer, McGeady could be his replacement. Would be some move.
    Who is the last Irish international to play in the Bundesliga? I honestly have no idea.
    Wasn't Joe Kendrick at 1860 Munich a few years ago? Whether he actually played or whether 1860 were actually in the top flight, I'm not sure.
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Gussie Campbell played for Fortuna somebody or other (cologne?) circa 1970's in the then German second division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumpi View Post
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0324/mcgeadya.html

this would be one of the better leagues for him to move to if he really wants away from Glasgow. Also BM are always gonna be getting Champions League football....
    And most times further than the first round too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I dont get the cultural difference thing at all..i just think when your brainwashed from such a young age that going to england is the be all and end all it will have an effect....a few of my relatives live in berlin and they adapted easily, no reason why protected footballers cant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    He was a few years in Cologne. He was sent off in Sofia in 1977 after a mass brawl. 4 sent off that day.
    I think he was at Cologne between 1971 and 1979 but mainly in their Regional League and Second Division. Ont one season in the Bundesliga.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Reserves
    Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt & everywhere in between
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    I dont get the cultural difference thing at all..i just think when your brainwashed from such a young age that going to england is the be all and end all it will have an effect....a few of my relatives live in berlin and they adapted easily, no reason why protected footballers cant
    tatally agree with that post the cultural difference is a minor hurdle.
    you see south american players coming to europe to play in the likes of russia and ukraine and to most european leagues, the same can be said for african players that come to europe
    "U've figured how to work the Google on the internet machine"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WexCar View Post
    tatally agree with that post the cultural difference is a minor hurdle.
    It is in reality, but in the minds of Irish kids it seems like going to another planet. At least going to UK doesn't mean that they'd have to learn another language (well maybe in parts of Scotland it would sound that way!).
    Plus, heading to the UK (especially to the English Premiership) is the Holy Grail to most Irish kids that play soccer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaZmO* View Post
    It is in reality, but in the minds of Irish kids it seems like going to another planet. At least going to UK doesn't mean that they'd have to learn another language (well maybe in parts of Scotland it would sound that way!).
    Plus, heading to the UK (especially to the English Premiership) is the Holy Grail to most Irish kids that play soccer.
    you'd wonder if increased coverage of foreign leagues would make them more attractive to irish youngsters? On most nights here you can watch games in England from every division, whereas you can only see Bundesliga games on Setanta Sports 2, and maybe 3 Primera Liga games a week on Sky Sports?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    you'd wonder if increased coverage of foreign leagues would make them more attractive to irish youngsters? On most nights here you can watch games in England from every division, whereas you can only see Bundesliga games on Setanta Sports 2, and maybe 3 Primera Liga games a week on Sky Sports?
    I wouldn't say increased coverage on it's own would make a difference, but I certainly think that a high profile Irish player playing in a league other than one in the UK would make it more attractive. It would a certain amount of coverage too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    but i think if french scouts came to watch irish players at underrage levels and asked them to join their club, they would. but the only clubs that scout here seems to be english. i think if we kept players here longer, then their horizons would broaden but when you're 15 its difficult to reject chelsea.

havent a few loi players played in norway and perhaps sweden? im sure zayed played in norway for a while.

for the record, theres nothing wrong with going to england, its one of the strongest european leagues, but just from a fans perspective i'd like to see more diversity.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaZmO* View Post
    And most times further than the first round too!
    Unlike Celtic who failed at the first round in the last 3 seas....oh, hang on, they qualified out of the group in 2007 and 2008 (when Bayern were in the UEFA to boot)....

Would be a good move for him for me, far superior league to the SPL.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    lol talk about diversity
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Kendrick_Jr.

fair play to him like.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I pray he is available for both games as he now remain our single attacking weapon. A lot of weight now thrust upon young shoulders. I have no doubt that if fit he will prove the naysayers lurking within the confines of this forum, so called fans??? WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    havent a few loi players played in norway and perhaps sweden? im sure zayed played in norway for a while.
    Yes that's correct. Zayed was on loan with a Norwegian club for half a season. Another Norwegian club was interested in Stephen Ward before he moved to Wolves. And a Swedish club were strongly linked with Jason Byrne 4 or so years back.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmanCas View Post
    the naysayers lurking within the confines of this forum, so called fans??? WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if ppl dont rate him then they are so called fans??? - am i getting that right bigmanCas??

apologies if im picking it up wrong

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    any update on his injury ahead of match on wednesday. didn't look too bad when he limped off yesterday. would be a huge blow if he was out.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    World Cup qualifiers: Aiden McGeady and Shay Given sat out training this morning after the 1-1 draw with Bulgaria at Croke Park, but while the latter was merely rested there is serious doubt over the availability of the Celtic player for the match against Italy in Bari on Wednesday.

Giovanni Trapattoni made a late call on including McGeady last night because the winger had been struggling all week with a bruised right foot. His replacement by Andy Keogh in the 90th minute was the only substitution of the night and came after a heavy challenge left him hobbling.

McGeady left Croke Park icing a knee injury and when questioned on his fitness this morning Trapattoni did not rule him out of the meeting with the world champions but pointedly extolled the virtues of Wolves striker Keogh and Reading's Shane Long. on the right wing.

“Shay Given will be fit I’m sure, but at the moment my only change is likely to be McGeady,” said the manager.

"He had a bit of a knock to the knee and I don’t know,” he continued. “I hope he will be fit but if not then, as I said before, we have Andy Keogh who is in good form and we also have Shane Long."

McGeady’s absence, coupled with that of Damien Duff, would seriously blunt Ireland’s attacking options in Bari, though, as is always the case with Trapattoni, avoiding defeat is the priority against Marcello Lippi’s side.

The Italian was adamant last night there was nothing Kevin Kilbane could have done about his own goal that cost his side two vital points at Croke Park.

Ireland were leading 1-0 and had a top-two finish in Group Eight within their grasp when Kilbane, winning his 94th senior cap, unwittingly diverted Stiliyan Petrov’s driven cross into his own net.

The 74th-minute goal proved enough to secure a fourth successive draw for Stanimir Stoilov’s side, who nevertheless remain seven points adrift of the Republic.

“I don’t blame Kilbane for what happened. It was an accident,” Trapattoni said. “He did not have time to react. He was trying to stop the ball, but there was not much that he could do.”

Captain Robbie Keane and Kevin Doyle both missed good chances in a frantic conclusion, and Trapattoni later admitted a lack of calmness in front of goal had cost his side.

“With a little bit of calm in front of the goalkeeper, we could have scored a goal,” he said. “Doyle had a header in the last minute - okay, he was tired - and Robbie, we had two players in the middle and he shot for goal.

“We were anxious in that situation. We could have scored a goal if we had been calm.

“We need to stay calm in those situations

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    he didnt play well against Bulgaria but if he is missing for Italy and we are left with Andy Keogh starting on the right wing Im gonna get sick
    Its really not that complicated!!!