Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 222 of 229 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224 ... LastLast
Results 4,421 to 4,440 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Nominated (along with Simon Cox) for League One Player of the Month award for February - https://www.efl.com/news/2019/march/...h-nominations/

Aiden McGeady (Sunderland) - midfielder
    Four goals in six games for the Irishman who continues to treat League One to his skills. Most impressive is his consistency as they were spread over five games, with the highlight being a sumptuous free-kick at Bristol Rovers.
    A penny for Mick's thoughts. I guess we'll know tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    He did, but I don't think they stood up to much scrutiny. He claimed he had never played in a 4-3-3 before and didn't know what his defensive duties were. I read somewhere that he played in a 4-3-3 pretty regularly for Spartak. Whether he had or hadn't, surely he's experienced enough to just ask the manager/coaches for a bit more instruction. I'm a big McGeady fan but I thought he sounded like he was absolving himself of any personal responsibility.
    Interesting. I only watched the programme after your comments on that point, and when I watched it, I didn't think it came across too bad at all to be honest.
    I know he's got a rep as being confrontational with coaches and managers too. He essentially had carte blanche at Spartak, he had no defensive responsibilities. They didn't play with an out and out striker sometimes, in that they played with three attackers: Ari, McGeady, Weilliton all had attacking roles.
    Sometimes the 3 were more of a 2 behind the 1. Often McGeady was the 1 behind 2 more advanced attackers.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    There was also this interview which would appear contradictory - https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...s-4-3-14551719

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Only spotted now that McGeady, Dunne and Ronan Curtis are all Wembley bound as Sunderland play Portsmouth in the EFL Trophy final on the 31st March. All three started their respective semi finals over the past couple of weeks.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Only spotted now that McGeady, Dunne and Ronan Curtis are all Wembley bound as Sunderland play Portsmouth in the EFL Trophy final on the 31st March. All three started their respective semi finals over the past couple of weeks.
    Scored twice today in this game

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Scored twice today in this game
    First goal was a cracking free-kick - was influential throughout, even helping out in defence - hey, if 35-year-old Glenn Whelan is now seen as a handy tool to have for this campaign, then surely there could be a place for almost-33-year-old McGeady, especially as he's having his most successful season, from a goalscoring point of view

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    He is too good for League One. He struggled at Premiership but that could've been down to Martinez, possibly not. He’s worth a place in the Irish squad in my opinion, as he offers something few others do and his confidence is high at the moment.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    McGeady's omission is all the more baffling when you consider our lack of wide options in our current player pool. Even if you don't wish to start him, I think he's a good guy to have on the bench as he offers something different.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    First goal was a cracking free-kick - was influential throughout, even helping out in defence - hey, if 35-year-old Glenn Whelan is now seen as a handy tool to have for this campaign, then surely there could be a place for almost-33-year-old McGeady, especially as he's having his most successful season, from a goalscoring point of view
    Interesting you brought up Whelan's name. That is exactly who I would drop from the squad to accomodate McGeady. We all view McGeady as a wide man, but he was an absolute revelation when he played in the middle of the park for Preston. North End fans loved him in that role and I remember he almost single handedly knocked Arsenal out of the Cup. McGeady is not the long term answer for the lack of creativity in the Irish midfield, but he could do a job for now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Another goal tonight he is doing his bit to get them up in fairness

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Interesting you brought up Whelan's name. That is exactly who I would drop from the squad to accomodate McGeady. We all view McGeady as a wide man, but he was an absolute revelation when he played in the middle of the park for Preston. North End fans loved him in that role and I remember he almost single handedly knocked Arsenal out of the Cup. McGeady is not the long term answer for the lack of creativity in the Irish midfield, but he could do a job for now.
    I'm haven't been Whelan's biggest fan but after losing Rice and Silva continuing to shaft James McCarthy, I don't think Mick had much option but to bring him back in. Plus Whelan completely justified his inclusion against Georgia, having a good game himself but also freeing Hourihane and Hendrick up to do what they do best. The 'central' role that McGeady occupied at PNE is hardly comparable to the central role Whelan has - different halves of the pitch for a start!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    I'm haven't been Whelan's biggest fan but after losing Rice and Silva continuing to shaft James McCarthy, I don't think Mick had much option but to bring him back in. Plus Whelan completely justified his inclusion against Georgia, having a good game himself but also freeing Hourihane and Hendrick up to do what they do best. The 'central' role that McGeady occupied at PNE is hardly comparable to the central role Whelan has - different halves of the pitch for a start!
    If Whelan can lead us deep into the Euro 2020 Finals, I will be happy to eat as much humble pie as possible.
    Good luck to the lad. Maybe he has turned the corner?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Third fringe player to score tonight as Sunderland bet Rochdale 2-1: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49326913

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Compare that to Gibraltar at home where Hourihane wasted an hour of the game trying to conduct affairs from a deeper position. Mick made me worry about his appreciation of the game when He said sometrhing like "I'm not going to pick a sitting midfielder against Gibraltar, I'd be laughed at". I don't see a problem pickinmg a sitting midfielder against anyone if it provides a base for more attacking players to play further forward. In my opinion it was a mistake to leave him out and the performance suffered. At the very least I'd like to have seen Cullen play that role. Hourihane just can't exert any influence from our own half imho.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Anyone any idea as to why the Sunderland manager wants rid of his best player?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Anyone any idea as to why the Sunderland manager wants rid of his best player?
    Trying to cut the wage bill? Only thing I can think of

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    What age is McGeady now anyway ? Was there something about an incident in training last week ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Have always loved watching him play but he does look like a bit of a sulker. Maybe thinks he’s above a League 1 team? Would be nice to see him involved at a higher level again if there are any takers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    He'll probably end up at Hibs or Hearts next, or someone else in Scotland.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    He'll probably end up at Hibs or Hearts next, or someone else in Scotland.
    Celtic would sign him in a heartbeat. Regardless of whether he's good enough or not, they wouldn't be able to resist.