Results 1,821 to 1,840 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    From the Glasgow Evening Times....

AIDEN McGEADY today admitted he is battling to regain the form that saw him scoop the double Player of the Year awards last season.

The Republic of Ireland internationalist has started 10 of Celtic's 15 games so far this season and he has acknowledged that it can be tough to find consistency when he has been in and out of the side.

His lack of form at the start of the season was in marked contrast to his displays of last season, but in recent games there has been plenty of spark about the winger's play.

He has already proved to be capable of sustaining that over the course of a campaign and an on-form McGeady will be pivotal to Celtic's chances of securing a fourth successive title.

"To be honest it's been hard to get the consistency I want because I have been in for one game, and then out the next," he said. "But obviously when I get picked I'll be doing my best to get back to the way I was playing last season."

McGeady has already offered himself to Gordon Strachan as a striker in the wake of the injuries to Celtic's forward players.

He scored against Kilmarnock on Wednesday night after an impressive link-up with Scott Brown.

And while his height may work against him when it comes to playing as an out-and-out striker he is a player who can hurt teams in the final third.

McGeady said: "We had a lot of good footballers in our team and I think that showed. Some of the football we played was excellent.

"I was just there to finish the move off," he added in reference to his goal. "It was a great move, a good team move and it was an excellent slide rule pass from Scott who has been playing extremely well this season."
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Aiden hasn't even been on the bench for at least the last two matches. He must be injured. Anyone know?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    Aiden hasn't even been on the bench for at least the last two matches. He must be injured. Anyone know?
    calf strain picked up in training. could be out for a few weeks: http://www.theherald.co.uk/sport/hea...tie_League.php
    [Strachan] revealed he didn't expect Aiden McGeady to be available for selection again for several weeks.

"He's got a grade one calf strain which is the best you can hope for. He will be a couple of weeks. The injuries are just one of these things. There's nothing I can do about it. That's why I never go into the treatment room. It's a waste of time; if they're not there, they're not there."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    thanks

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    McGeady attacked in nightclub from SETANTA.com

Celtic ace Aiden McGeady was subjected to sectarian abuse and attacked in a nightclub on Wednesday morning.

According to a report in the Irish Sun, the winger was punched twice in the face in an unprovoked attack.

He was reportedly set upon by three individuals in Glasgow's Karbon nightclub in the early hours of Wednesday, but did not report the incident to police.

Furthermore, Celtic have declined to comment on the matter, though a 'friend' of the Irish international said that McGeady had been "attacked without provocation.

"He's pretty distressed and upset. There were about three of them and they started dishing out some abuse - it was pretty heavy stuff."

Not sure what the hell he was doing in a nightclub on a Weds night when recuperating from injury. A few of these instances starting to crop up more frequently, its inevitable in Glasgow - so hes gonna have to be a bit smarter than average......

PS The press are also reporting that hopefully he should be back for next weeks game against Aalborg in the Champions League
    Last edited by Junior; 20/11/2008 at 7:34 AM.

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    A few of these instances starting to crop up more frequently, its inevitable in Glasgow - so hes gonna have to be a bit smarter than average......
    Are they cropping up more, or are they making the papers more? There's highlighted coverage of these incidents in Scotland at the moment with the treatment of Jamie McCarthy by some fans, and coverage the singing of the "famine song" is getting
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Are they cropping up more, or are they making the papers more?
    Perhaps its no different and its just more tabloid coverage...either way he is still gonna have to be smarter than your average bear as yogi would say........

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    McGeady set to feature for Celtic against Aalborg tomorrow: http://www.football365.com/story/0,1...542099,00.html

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Nah, Still out injured. Tendanitus (sp?) I think rather than the calf strain but not on the bench either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    He could be carrying the injury for a few months according to this: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scot...cle1966292.ece

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Tendonitis, a lot of guitar players get that, are you sure reid doesnt suffer from it too?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Strachan revealed Aiden McGeady is struggling with a knee injury that might require surgery.

The Republic of Ireland star failed a fitness test before the match against Aalborg after missing the previous five matches.

Strachan said: "We will monitor him. Aiden gets about 20 minutes pain-free before he starts to feel pain.

"The doctor and the rest of the guys will look into that and see what the best way is to get Aiden back to full fitness."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    McGeady linked with Boro, if Downing moves on in January: http://www.people.co.uk/sport/footba...name_page.html

Probably nothing in it. The quote below is just wrong, McGeady isn't out of Strachan's plans, he's injured and has been since before the United game at Celtic Park.
    Southgate's spies are pushing him to sign the Republic of Ireland ace who is out of Gordon Strachan's plans and may be moved on in the New Year.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Hopefully this means Aiden wont be going under the surgeons knife.....

McGeady poised to return after knee scan / THE HERALD

Aiden McGeady could be fit to face Hibernian on Sunday afternoon after a scan on his right knee revealed that he will not require surgery.

The scan showed minor inflammation in his tendon rather than a tear or any other major damage and, following a period of rest, the Celtic winger will take part in training today with a view to an imminent return.

If he comes through the session unscathed, he should be available for the visit to Easter Road at the weekend. However, if the 22-year-old has an adverse reaction he will be given an injection that will allow a return to the first team after a period of seven days.

McGeady has been out with a bout of tendinitis since the start of November and has missed the club's last six games.

He travelled with the Celtic squad to Denmark last week but failed a fitness test prior to the 2-1 defeat by BK Aalborg.

Before the game, McGeady had spoken of his desire to keep playing. "I want to try to play my way through it. I spoke to Neil Lennon the Celtic first-team coach the other day and he said he had the same thing and had an operation a few years ago. It is not something I am really thinking about just now. If I can, I would rather play until the end of the season and put it back until the summer."

It is not the first time McGeady has suffered from the condition and he also had an injection last season to allow him to continue playing.

It has been a stop-start campaign for the 22-year-old, who had made significant contributions without hitting the same heights as he did last season, when he won the SPFA Player of the Year award.

"I feel as if my season hasn't really started," he reflected. "I have not had a run of games and it has been quite frustrating, with the team doing so well. I wanted to capitalise on last season and take it to another level but it hasn't really worked out that way for me."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He's back. Good goal from him tonight, typical bottom corner. He's had 3 shots on goal, 1 hit the side netting after an excellent 1-2 and turn. Celtic are a joy to watch with Maloney, McGeady, Naka and Brown in the team. Such a pity you won't get to see them in Europe after tonight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    ah porto will suffice eirebhoy, but i have to say some of the moves did look nice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    He's back. Good goal from him tonight, typical bottom corner. He's had 3 shots on goal, 1 hit the side netting after an excellent 1-2 and turn. Celtic are a joy to watch with Maloney, McGeady, Naka and Brown in the team. Such a pity you won't get to see them in Europe after tonight.
    Such a pity he has never done it for us in 22 appearances.

How much longer have we got to or can we afford to wait?
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    You've mainly seen the real McGeady this past 12 months for Ireland.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    He did well tonight, as did Celtic. Though in all honestly we were allowed to play and VR were down to 10 men. If Villareal needed a result it would have been a far different game in my opinion (I dont buy that they were looking for top spot).

Regardless, it was a decent performance, McGeady got 70 minutes under his belt (Sheridan didnt feature) a bit of confidence and continue the great (Home!!) record

Nakamura was superb I thought (though obv. not Irish!)