Page 55 of 229 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmanCas View Post
    I expect Aiden Mc Geady to be recognised as one of the best ever players to don the 'Green Jersey' and although I have said this for years - I didn't expect it to happen so soon but his recent performances have been out of this world (Benfica, Brazil and Aberdeen to name three).

While support is gathering on this Island for the young lad - I cannot believe this recognition has taken so long. From day one, it was blatently obvious that the guy had serious talent - (The performance as an 18 year old against Milan in 2005 and Nesta's gesture of appreciation during the game testify to this).

Without doubt the MOTM against Brazil.

Sadly, I really do believe that the majority who post messages on this site hang on Eamonn Dunphys every word.

He was man of the match but out of this world is way over the top. He was man of the match for Ireland but was not the best player on the pitch that night. He is playing very well at the moment for Ireland. However he still need to convince me he can do it away from home for Ireland.

Also Dunphy has congratulated Mc Geady of late and was raving about him against Brazil.

A bit of balance is needed and he is on great form at the moment and is technically better than Hunt by a good bit but I think Hunt works back more so away from home I would go with Hunt at the moment.
    In Trap we trust

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    He was man of the match but out of this world is way over the top. He was man of the match for Ireland but was not the best player on the pitch that night. He is playing very well at the moment for Ireland. However he still need to convince me he can do it away from home for Ireland.

Also Dunphy has congratulated Mc Geady of late and was raving about him against Brazil.

A bit of balance is needed and he is on great form at the moment and is technically better than Hunt by a good bit but I think Hunt works back more so away from home I would go with Hunt at the moment.
    Hunt would not lace Mc Geadys' boots. Hunt is without doubt one of the most overrated players in the premiership and his ability will in no way help save Reading from their inevitable relegation. Never Hunt before Mc Geady, Never.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There is more to footballl that just ability as we can see with Liam Miller. Attitude and tracking back and getting stuck in also. Hunt has that in abundance. I think he is overrated but some people also and he has become a bit of a cult hero amongst the Irish fans and Mc Geady has far more ability than Hunt does, however as I said there is more to football than ability
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    McGeady is an excellent Scottish league player but just average at CL and International level. Just average!
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Voted in Celtic's top 3 players by the fans in the following CL games this season:

29-Aug-07 Celtic 1 v 1 Sp Moscow CL Qual - 1 Boruc - 2 McManus - 3 McGeady
    24-Oct-07 Benfica 1 v 0 Celtic CL - 1 Boruc - 2 McGeady - 3 Hartley
    06-Nov-07 Celtic 1 v 0 Benfica CL - 1 McGeady - 2 Hartley - 3 McDonald
    28-Nov-07 Celtic 2 v 1 Shaktar Donetsk CL - 1 Jarosik - 2 McGeady - 3 Hartley
    20-Feb-08 Celtic 2 v 3 Barcelona CL - 1 Boruc - 2 JVoH - 3 McGeady

His poor international form was down to confidence and I'm sure he's over that now.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 28/02/2008 at 9:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Eirebhoy you are a guy who watches him a lot, who do you think is nearer the truth on this , the opinion I said below or bigmancas.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Another hyper sensitive McGeady fan
    The majority of fans are quite positive to McGeady on this forum.
    80 to 90% of Ireland fans were very positive towards McGeady for his last performance against Brazil.

Don't forget, Eirebhoy has promised to run naked in Dublin in a couple of years time if McGeady is not our best player by then.

I dont remember that part...is that just something you were hoping for?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Paul, Eirebhoy isn't the only one with a long memory
    Naked run promise
    I´ll just take a photo as evidence but I think I'd prefer the sight of McGeady accepting the POTY award before 2011.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Jesus I can't believe I posted that. I was expecting to see a post time of 4am.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 28/02/2008 at 10:59 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It seems to have coincided with quiet a few change of hearts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigmanCas View Post

It seems to have coincided with quiet a few change of hearts
    Don't take it so hard Aiden.

BTW, shouldn't you be at training? Look at what happened to Liam at Sunderland. Could be you next.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Paul, Eirebhoy isn't the only one with a long memory
    Naked run promise
    I´ll just take a photo as evidence but I think I'd prefer the sight of McGeady accepting the POTY award before 2011.
    I remembered it, I was just hoping that not too many others, but hey go on ruin my joke
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Don't take it so hard Aiden.

BTW, shouldn't you be at training? Look at what happened to Liam at Sunderland. Could be you next.
    LOL
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    How easy people forget how bad McGeady has been for us in the competitive matches in our last campaign (when it actually mattered). He was our worst player against those world beaters Slovakia not once but twice. Also absolute rubbish against Cyprus away.

Ok we all have our off days but anyone who thinks someone that is a potentially World Class player can be out performed by the likes of JOS or Kevin Kilbane needs to check themselves into the funny farm before they hurt themselves.

An average player at best. The only reason there's hype about him by Irish fans is because:

1. He plays for Celtic
    2. He likes to do a few nice tricks

He would struggle to hold down a regular place for any of the top 10 teams in the Premiership.
    Last edited by youngirish; 29/02/2008 at 9:41 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Okay youngirish here is the challenge, if McGeady is POTY by 2011 then in a sober state you run naked down O'Connell st

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    crikey, for a guy who calls himself "youngirish" don't you think the guy should be cut some slack because of his age? Maybe Leon Best's goals on loan at Exeter excite you more than McGeady playing well against top European opposition, but for most of us it's the other way around.

19/20 year old in poor Irish performances in worst Irish team in a generation under worst Irish manager in living memory. Yeah, write him off.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    How easy people forget how bad McGeady has been for us in the competitive matches in our last campaign (when it actually mattered). He was our worst player against those world beaters Slovakia not once but twice. Also absolute rubbish against Cyprus away.

Ok we all have our off days but anyone who thinks someone that is a potentially World Class player can be out performed by the likes of JOS or Kevin Kilbane needs to check themselves into the funny farm before they hurt themselves.

An average player at best. The only reason there's hype about him by Irish fans is because:

1. He plays for Celtic
    2. He likes to do a few nice tricks

He would struggle to hold down a regular place for any of the top 10 teams in the Premiership.
    Absolute codswallop. He was not near the worst player in Bratislava - S Ireland/J Douglas were the only two up for that award. While it is easy to blame the guy with the skill for not performing, it would be wise to acknowlegde the young fella's age. He has the world at his feet. Name one player who was good in Nicosia? Again Mc Geady was far from the worst. The names A O Brien, P Kenny and S Ireland spring to mind. Give the lad a chance. I cannot believe you refuse to appreciate a talent such as Mc Geady - made even more strange by the fact he is Irish. Maybe you listen too much to Mr Dunphy!!!!!!! He would struggle to hold a regular place for any of the top 10 teams in the premiership??? Nonsense......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    The negativity surrounding him on this forum is ridiculous, I agree he hasnt done a great deal for us as yet but his performances have been limited
    You do realise that this is an "Ireland" forum don't you? And his performances for Ireland haven't been great compared to his Celtic performances and as a result people have been reluctant to wax lyrical about his abilities. That seems to be changing now because his overall game and in particular his performances in an Ireland shirt are improving and hopefully that will continue to be the case.

As has been pointed out already, one of the biggest improvements with McGeady has been his ability to realise when and when not to use his tricks. He only really needs to do a trick to gain himself an extra yard on a player so that he can get a cross in. The old McGeady would pass a player only to run himself back into trouble. I think it's a thing that a lot of young wingers initially do until they learn better.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts

McGeady wouldn't get in a top 10 EPL side??

OK, so Middlesbrough are nowhere near top 10 in the Premiership, but I watched 30 mins of their match against Sheff United on Weds and couldn't believe my eyes. Just like Billsthoughts was saying after Ireland vs Brazil, it was abject rubbish, not a hint of talent or composure in the game. Pass, pass, hoof, lose possession, lunge tackle to win it back. Over and over again.

The highly rated young Stewart Downing was part of this tripe. Don't tell me McGeady isn't at least as good.

The English game has had no place for talented creative types for a long time and only the best teams can accomodate the more talented but less physically imposing players. The rest just make do with scrapping with each other at a high tempo, which the crowds love. I'm not scapegoating Matthew Taylor in any way, but only in England or Ireland would that type of tackle be tolerated. Even if the ball had been won it might have been a foul in other countries. That's how football is played in England.

Just because McGeady's type of play mightn't get him into a top Premiership team doesn't mean the guy hasn't got bags of talent.

I see him as being similar in style to Hleb, remarkable feet but not as good yet at passing. Joe Cole is one of Chelsea's more important players so I don't see why McGeady couldn't cut it at a top EPL team, and the fact that he wouldn't be wanted at a lesser EPL team says more about the way they play than McGeady.

I could see a hypothetical case of McGeady being one of Wenger's Carling Cup players and a some time first teamer at Arsenal, with the potential after one year of acclimatisation to actually get into their regular first team. I could see McGeady being in Spurs' team immediately.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 29/02/2008 at 10:29 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    crikey, for a guy who calls himself "youngirish" don't you think the guy should be cut some slack because of his age? Maybe Leon Best's goals on loan at Exeter excite you more than McGeady playing well against top European opposition, but for most of us it's the other way around.

19/20 year old in poor Irish performances in worst Irish team in a generation under worst Irish manager in living memory. Yeah, write him off.
    Exactly.

I always say it but look at Franck Ribery. At the age of 21 he was playing in the French 3rd tier. It was his 3rd season in the 3rd division with his 3rd different club. Very similar player to McGeady.