Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 229 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Average finisher with an average goalscoring record, however like you say, his work rate is fantastic and most Celtic fans I've spoken with are happy with Miller despite him not opening his account yet.
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoopy View Post
    Total rubbish! He was the most accomplished player on the ball last night
    Ok, so Nakumara is in the side to create chances and cause their defense problems....sorry but can't remember him doing that once (apart from the free kick of course). If you want to call what I'm saying ''rubbish'' back up your point by giving me an example of his creativity against Man U?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    The others were proven not to be good enough when they moved to the Premiership even though they all looked excellent up in Scotland. That shows how much of a joke of a league it is.
    Then there's always the other side of the coin with the likes of Larsson, Gattuso, Niemi, van Bronckhorst, van Hooijdonk, Tugay, Di Canio, Viduka, Reyna, Arteta, Mjallby, de Boer and whoever else I can't think of that prove themselves on a bigger stage. There's also the likes of Flo, Capucho and Juninho that go to Scotland and fail.

Boumsong? He was a success in the French league, he was at Rangers for 4 months. Miller must have started no more than 20 games for Celtic. Ferguson did fairly well at Blackburn, he certainly has been no better since re-joining Rangers.

There is life outside of the premiership and Celtic always have quite a few internationals on their books. Atm there's Boruc, Caldwell, Balde, Zurawski, Miller, Vennegoor, Gravesen, Jarosik, Nakamura, Maloney and probably more that are all regulars in their international squads. I don't want McGeady to leave Celtic in the forseeable future and I certainly don't think it'll affect his international career.

I'd have my doubts about defenders at Celtic and Rangers because they're rarely being tested by the very best but players like if McGeady is doing consistantly well in the SPL I'd have no doubts about him on the international stage.

, so Nakumara is in the side to create chances and cause their defense problems.
    Nakamura is in the side to be a playmaker. He nearly always takes the correct option and without him Celtic can hardly put 2 or 3 passes together. He's not in the side to beat players and cross balls into the box all day. That's not the type of player he is. Class player and I still believe he's the best player in the SPL and the best passer I've seen play for Celtic.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 15/09/2006 at 1:14 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lets not turn this into another Nakamura lovefest eh eirebhoy
    Top Breeders recommend drinkfeckarse....

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hey I'm a big Nak fan too, however I don't think he was any where near his best on Wednesday night, and that's all I'm refering too. I was told I was talking rubbish when I said he didn't play well....I was only asking for examples of what he did in the game that would suggest that my comment was ''rubbish''!! I actually only brought his name up to take the heat off McGeady, my point was that there was very little movement up front for them to hit. That's what the two of them have been great at this season, picking out forwards runs. Strachan said that his flair players let him down on Wednesday, but I think it's tough to pick up the ball on the half way line and do anything creative if there's only one big man ahead of you sitting on the centr half........fair point??

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Lack of an "out" option was a problem for McGeady I accept.

However, there was one occasion where he had got clear of midfield, was at the corner of the United box and had only one defender to beat before he'd have had a one on one with Van Der Saar. With the tricks he's got beating the defender should have been a formality. Instead he simply did nothing with the ball and got dispossesed way too easily. Rabbit in the headlights.

If ever there was a chance for McGeady to deliver on a bigger stage that was it.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree, and I remember that chance, I was screaming at him to attack the defender but he dabbled and it came to nothing. He can do it though, and I'm sure he knows he was poor. As said before though, he'll have plenty more chances in this CL campaign to mark his arrival on the big stage and I'm confident he'll take one of them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Lack of an "out" option was a problem for McGeady I accept.

However, there was one occasion where he had got clear of midfield, was at the corner of the United box and had only one defender to beat before he'd have had a one on one with Van Der Saar. With the tricks he's got beating the defender should have been a formality. Instead he simply did nothing with the ball and got dispossesed way too easily. Rabbit in the headlights.

If ever there was a chance for McGeady to deliver on a bigger stage that was it.
    I remember that, Neville disposessed him. 9 times out of 10 Mcgeady would beat the fullback in that position (and regularly beats the 2 who have been put on him). It was one opportunity, he ballsed it up and it was reflective of his performance overall, caught in two minds, miscontrol, misplaced passes. As eirebhoy has mentiond, whether Celtic go through or not, McGeady will hopefully have 5 more games to show what he can do against a variety of defenders in the CL. Lets revisit this conversation then!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    In fairness, Neville is a very good full-back who has been around and pretty much seen it all. Neville has also played in a lot more CL games then McGeady has. No shamed in been taken by Neville.

Early days yet but overall United were the superior team. Celtic did well but were deserved losers at the end. They can still do well in the group though and could well beat United in the return fixture.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Lennon was asked about McGeady's performance and Strachan also commented on him:
    http://www.celticfc.net/channel67/presser.aspx (5mins 20 for lennon).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    This is a few clips of McGeady vs Rangers:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts1_My5gTJY

tbh, it doesn't do him justice but I hadn't got the full match to get more clips. I'll have the full Copenhagen match tomorrow and upload his clips as he was excellent.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McGeady10 View Post
    Utterly disgusting team selection and with a coward like that as manager I'm glad we lost. I know it's a terrible thing to say but if a cowardly team line like Staunton put out tonight managed to get a point we'd be stuck with the same nonsense for the rest of the qualifiers. Hopefully this is a wake up call.

Even whem McGeady came on for 11 minutes (yeah that's enough time!!) he played him right wing and the ball never came down the right side for the rest of the game! McGeady though ended up picking the ball up at left back! Driving forward and picking out a pass that opened the Germans up and led to our last minute corner big Dunny should have scored from.

Aiden McGeady is Irelands on-form attacking player. Not to play him tonight was gross negligence on the part of the manager. McGeady will be starting the Champions League in a few weeks time. We can't afford to leave such ability on the subs bench.

I am so angry with Staunton it's unbelivable. I want him sacked... TONIGHT!
    is this the worst post ever ? you were glad we lost ? with fans like you ....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zinedineontour View Post
    is this the worst post ever ? you were glad we lost ? with fans like you ....
    I don't think he's an Ireland fan tbh. I've actually even seen him post on a Man Utd forum and it was to open a topic about McGeady. Let's just keep this topic about McGeady.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bmozza View Post
    That's what the two of them have been great at this season, picking out forwards runs.
    Well spotted. McGeady's run and pass to Kenny Miller to set up the latter's goal against Rangers was sublime. He was at it again last night against Kobenhavn and seems to be forging an excellent understanding with Miller. Let's hope McGeady can translate this improved showing to the international stage and soon.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    It's a sure winner backing this young fella, he was pure class last night and against Rangers and I loved every minute of it!! He has to start against Cyprus and the Czechs now, if Stan even thinks about starting Kilbane ahead of him I can see another Gun incident immenent!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    it doesn't do him justice
    Wow, he must have had some game. Some of that was McGeady at his best.

I had a must-attend bonding session with my bosses last night so only saw last 30 mins last night. Some nice touches but I think it's fair to say he gave the ball away easily a few times in that period. Match reports in the papers singled him out as being excellent in first half though.

Big question: is he the answer for Ireland's RHM though? As everyone says, he plays best on the left for Celtic. He & Duff to interchange maybe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He has got to start along with Duff Doyle and Keane against Cyprus, We need to be attacking and get our attacking players on the pitch. He is on form and playinlg really well. He was top class for 60 mins against Copenhagen tracking back also He tired with for the last 20 minutes of his game so was taken off. But a very good performance though.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    He has got to start along with Duff Doyle and Keane against Cyprus, We need to be attacking and get our attacking players on the pitch. He is on form and playinlg really well. He was top class for 60 mins against Copenhagen tracking back also He tired with for the last 20 minutes of his game so was taken off. But a very good performance though.
    Spot on, McGeady Duff Doyle and Keane have to be started against Cyprus...Get these guys playing without fear and given free reign to attack the Cypriots and we should win comfortably. I think we're gonna leak goals in both of these matches anyway (especially with Shay gone) so we might as well adopt the "score more than them" mentality which I think we're capable of doing so with these lads starting...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I had a must-attend bonding session with my bosses last night so only saw last 30 mins last night. Some nice touches but I think it's fair to say he gave the ball away easily a few times in that period. Match reports in the papers singled him out as being excellent in first half though.
    As Neil said it was actually the first 60 minutes that McGeady was at his very best so you missed the best of him. I'll post most of his clips later though.

Big question: is he the answer for Ireland's RHM though? As everyone says, he plays best on the left for Celtic. He & Duff to interchange maybe?
    I don't know if he plays better on the left. Strachan just likes to play his 'wingers' on the opposite side like Barcelona so they'll come inside often. Ronaldinho plays on the left for Barca but you could stick him in any attacking position. Naka will always be playing on the right wing so McGeady plays on the left.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    We have a sound & experienced defence, including a CL winner.

In Duff, Robbie, Doyle & McGeady we have four athletic and talented attacking players who on any given day can cause any team trouble. But they need service. The wide also players need to have someone capable of a threat in the middle just to avoid being double & triple marked.

If we can solve the central midfield conundrum we just may be able to unlock the attacking potential of the team & maybe all the recent doom & gloom just isn't warranted. But then again, the doom & gloom is all down to central midfield in my opinion.

I'm tired of the Charlton/ Mick /Kerr ethos of grinding out an away point. That's long outdated. Fortress Lansdowne is a distant memory. 3 points is 3 points no matter where it's earned. I say we should go out and engage teams in a game and see how we fare. If we're good enough we'll win those games.

I'd be satisfied enough if we fail to qualify having given it a really good shot. If we're not good enough so be it. Who can complain? Giving it our best shot & looking to the next campaign are not mutually exclusive in my opinion. I can fully support the decision to omit McGeady in Germany, but Cyprus away & Czechs at home is different.

6 points later we could be in a totally different mindset & Staunton's stock will be a lot higher. The key is to trust the players he has in the positions they usually play.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 27/09/2006 at 10:39 AM.

Page 6 of 229 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast