Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 53 of 229 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    The argument between Dolan and Townsend is priceless, I actually agree with Dolan on this but his style of arguing is terrible. Basically Dolan was saying that Celtic were far too open and should have played a 4 5 1 and did what Walter Smith did with Rangers V Barca. I think in an open game there was only going to be one winner and that was Barca.

I love the comment when Townsend said we dont need Trappattoni as we have the manager we need here (pointing to Dolan) and talking in sarcastic tones. Dolan replies with well at lest I know how to get a result in Europe
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 20/02/2008 at 9:17 PM.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    tbh I wouldn't listen to what they said. All you have to do is listen to what they said about Naka. For some strange reason I always watch Naka's every move on the pitch. Tonight he played as a 2nd right back to cover for the inexperienced Caddis. He was always back when Barca had the ball and to be perfectly honest he hardly got forward. Setanta commentators then decide to say Naka isn't doing enough to help Caddis. Townsend and Dolan repeat those comments. Naka would be slung off the pitch if he wasn't working hard enough. As it was I'd bet anyone that he ran more miles than any of the players last night. It really annoys me that someone like Lou Macari was a scout for Ireland when I think half of us are better judges. He's clueless.

Anyway, Celtic were very poor tonight but McGeady looked like a player that deserved to be playing in a better team.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    EB, thats two sorta different posts, but i reckon celtic were made look poor rather than nything else. The thing is I reckon under oneill they wouldn't have scored 2 goals at home against barca, but at the same time I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have conceded 3 either.They were lucky to have scored 2 goals t be honest as thats pretty much the only chances they had in the whole game, bar the long range shot parried away.

Mcgeady did ok. His ball into robson or whatever his name is was behind his head, but he did well to get around it and loop it over the keeper. I really didnt notice him too much, and I think that when a team is under the cosh they look for players that can take the ball upfield and hold onto it and relieve the pressure, I dont think he did that ( again back to slovakia ), whether thats because he wasn't getting the ball from others or wasn't doing enough to get the ball I'm not sure.

Celtic tried to play an open game, a game that they are simply not good enough to play against a team like Barcelona. Credit to strachan for trying to get them to play a game like that but I dont think they are good enough individually to play that sorta game.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Dunphy: "McGeady benefiting from Strachan's coaching" - I think Dunphu's reading too many of my posts.

Ronnie Whelan changed his tune about McGeady on RTE tonight because he was on a station that was positive about McGeady. It just shows how much rubbish he spouts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Barca were absolutely phenomenal. Simply the best, most accomplished performance I've ever seen at Celtic park. I doubt Celtic had less of the ball at home in about 20 years. McGeady did well though and he was really the difference in the first half as his runs led to both goals.
    when a team brngs on eto for ronaldhinio ya know your in for a tough nite. fair play to celtic. always worth a look in Europe.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    EB, thats two sorta different posts, but i reckon celtic were made look poor rather than nything else.
    Well the defence is always rubbish but you'd expect the midfielders to be able to find a teammate. McGeady was the only one that wasn't losing possession last night.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Ronnie Whelan changed his tune about McGeady on RTE tonight because he was on a station that was positive about McGeady. It just shows how much rubbish he spouts.
    In fairness he did say he was critical of him in the past because his final ball wasn't good and he never looked up. Not too far off the mark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dunphy: "McGeady benefiting from Strachan's coaching" - I think Dunphu's reading too many of my posts.
    Haha. Was thinking the same when he said that.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    tbh I wouldn't listen to what they said. All you have to do is listen to what they said about Naka. For some strange reason I always watch Naka's every move on the pitch. Tonight he played as a 2nd right back to cover for the inexperienced Caddis. He was always back when Barca had the ball and to be perfectly honest he hardly got forward. Setanta commentators then decide to say Naka isn't doing enough to help Caddis. Townsend and Dolan repeat those comments. Naka would be slung off the pitch if he wasn't working hard enough. As it was I'd bet anyone that he ran more miles than any of the players last night. It really annoys me that someone like Lou Macari was a scout for Ireland when I think half of us are better judges. He's clueless.

Anyway, Celtic were very poor tonight but McGeady looked like a player that deserved to be playing in a better team.
    Don't agree with you on that EB. Was at the game last night and I didn't think Naka did much work at all - in contrast to his usual efforts when he puts in a serious shift.

Abidal overlapped outside Ronaldinho at least three times in the first half with Naka a few yards behind. Maybe he was just outpaced but to me he didn't seem to be really putting in his usual hard work. I was very disappointed with him.

Aiden and Boruc both looked good enough to play for Barca, which is about as high a compliment as you can give them because Barca were really top drawer. McGeady got the ball in a couple of yards of space 4 times in the first half and he beat Puyol twice on the outside and twice on the inside. Second half he was on the other wing for a while but it didn't matter. We just didn't get any sort of possession that allowed us to bring him into the game. Even when he did get it on the left hand side he fashioned a reasonable cross but as a team we'd long given up by then.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Aiden and Boruc both looked good enough to play for Barca, which is about as high a compliment as you can give them because Barca were really top drawer. McGeady got the ball in a couple of yards of space 4 times in the first half and he beat Puyol twice on the outside and twice on the inside. Second half he was on the other wing for a while but it didn't matter. We just didn't get any sort of possession that allowed us to bring him into the game. Even when he did get it on the left hand side he fashioned a reasonable cross but as a team we'd long given up by then.
    I'm not sure if I am thinking of the same times here, but mcgeady didn't actually beat him on the inside, he came inside, diagonal across to get those balls in. still he did get the cross in though.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He beat him to set up the 2nd. Just about got by the other guy (can't remember who it was) but it wasn't exactly through great skill. Similar to 2 of his crosses against Aberdeen. He didn't need to get past the players completely to send in the cross. Puyol certainly felt threatened by him for the entire game. In fact, he paid so much attention to McGeady that McDonald found himself in loads of space on the left a couple of times. Encouraging performance anyway. I wouldn't think twice about playing him for Ireland from now on.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 22/02/2008 at 9:49 AM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He beat him to set up the 2nd. Just about got by the other guy (can't remember who it was) but it wasn't exactly through great skill. Similar to 2 of his crosses against Aberdeen. He didn't need to get past the players completely to send in the cross. Puyol certainly felt threatened by him for the entire game. In fact, he paid so much attention to McGeady that McDonald found himself in loads of space on the left a couple of times. Encouraging performance anyway. I wouldn't think twice about playing him for Ireland from now on.
    A bit of sense from you EB - at last!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I'm not sure if I am thinking of the same times here, but mcgeady didn't actually beat him on the inside, he came inside, diagonal across to get those balls in. still he did get the cross in though.
    He beat him enough to get the cross in - that's the point. He doesn't need to put Puyol on the floor to have him beaten, he just needs to make room for an unobstructed cross which is what he did the first time. The second time he did the same thing except this time he had a shot on goal.

Don't want to be pedantic about it but that's beating the defender in my book. In fact that's probably one of the biggest improvements in McGeady's game this year - he realises that he only needs to get a yard on the defender, he doesn't need to trick his way past him 3 or 4 times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I wouldn't think twice about playing him for Ireland from now on.

Thank god your not the manager then....hasnt done anything at international level to warrant a guaranteed starting place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post

Thank god your not the manager then....hasnt done anything at international level to warrant a guaranteed starting place.
    I thought I answered this one already. He was full of confidence against Brazil. That's good enough for me to show that he's gotten over his confidence problems. It started with his sub appearance against Cyprus. Than a half decent display against Wales. He feels he has finally done himself justice. btw, I can't believe some people didn't think he played well against Brazil.

I've deleted a few posts replying to BigmanCas and he's got his 2nd warning now since joining foot.ie.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 22/02/2008 at 2:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=596596

Newcastle rumoured to be looking towards a 12m signing of McGeady in the summer.

I especially like near the bottom where a spanish pundit praised Aiden as a "blonde version of Maradonna"
    Oh God! I really hope he doesn't go to the circus that is Newcastle FC!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Agreed, Newcastle are a joke, he would be better off staying in the SPL

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post

Newcastle rumoured to be looking towards a 12m signing of McGeady in the summer.
    Can't believe these rumours. Would even Kevin Keegan be stupid enough to pay 12m for McGeady providing he's still in the job at the end of the summer? Still haven't seen much from him to suggest anything other than he'd be a fairly average Premiership player.

Reminds me of Shaun Maloney who got all the hype from Celtic a few years ago (in fact if anything he looked a more effective player than McGeady). He was rubbish in the Premiership though when playing against decent defenders with a bit of pace and strength.

He would do better somewhere on the continent than in the Premiership imo.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Newcastle would be better served signing a brand new back 4.

Moving there could be the ruination of McGeady. He'd be better off remaining a relatively big fish in a small pond for the moment. I think Liam Miller would offer the same advice.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Reminds me of Shaun Maloney who got all the hype from Celtic a few years ago (in fact if anything he looked a more effective player than McGeady). He was rubbish in the Premiership though when playing against decent defenders with a bit of pace and strength.
    I think you need to watch a bit more of Maloney if you think he was ever rubbish for Villa. Excellent player who the Villa fans definitely rate.

McGeady's linked with Bayern Munich in the Mirror today. Most likely made up.

Strachan:
    I don't need £12million and I'd rather keep all the good players instead. You have to ask when you are selling players like that if you can get replacements. We want to keep the good players here and we want to keep them happy."
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 25/02/2008 at 1:10 PM.