Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Will Mowbray get much longer?
    I say not, I heard he stopped growing when he was twenty one!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    I say not, I heard he stopped growing when he was twenty one!
    I think he must be still growing but not in the football brain department.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    10 out of 10 performance against Kilmarnock.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 02/02/2010 at 8:55 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    McGeady was a joke tonight.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    McGeady????? I thought he was very average tonight
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Lads I was been sarcastic.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 02/02/2010 at 8:58 PM.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    McGeady I fear is not going to improve, he seems to lack confidence in himself at times. Has the ability but again I think he is a victim of the over hyped hopes for him. Like Charlie Nicholas before him who was a better player imo and went down to Arsenal and was a mediocre player maybe that might have been down to George Graham but he failed to live up to the hype.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    He's had about 10 or 12 motm performances in the first half of the season. He has been very poor since then in over 4 or 5 games. Needs to be benched until whatever has to be worked out is worked out.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    In the London Metro newspaper Aiden has been linked (gossip rumour ?) with a move to Fulham.

If Roy Hodgson stays at Fulham I believe that this would be a great move for Aiden. Hodgson has got a good season out of Duffer and he would be a great manager to introduce Aiden to the English premiership.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    as Eirbhoy RIP has fundamentally stated in all his posts previously this boy has serious talent but hes just a bit lightweight and Aiden himself has also admitted this but he fears if he bulks up a bit more he might lose that burst of pace but what cannot be denied is that the boy is TWO FOOTED and case be seen from the following clip with a peach of a goal when Celtic where trying desperately trying to hold onto our 2nd place this season.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=1zldkas&s=6

If you need further proof of his quality just check the soccer am showboat on saturday which he is on nearly every week.

Obviously Lawrence is a more robust figure who fits the bill better as a Trap player but if yous have any chance of qualifying for Poland Lawrence needs to be ditched or even moved one inside.

Before anybody asks why I only post on McGeady threads, the simple fact of the matter of it is I don't give a toss about Ireland because yous are a boring piece of **** under the Trap.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I really think he needs a move, I think hes gone stale and seemed to go backward a bit this season
    Its really not that complicated!!!

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    There was a fans forum type meeting in Celtic Park on wednesday night. According to some reports from those in attendance, it was made clear that McGeady will only be sold if an offer of crazy money comes in.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It was a meeting between Lennon /Lawwell from the Celtic Board and the Celtic Trust (shareholding fans).

Lennon said something like 'they will not get rid of Aiden if they can avoid it'.
    That can be understood as meaning,
    they don't have to sell to pay debt,
    an attractive offer could be made for him,
    or Aiden could be attracted to move to a club which makes a middling offer to buy out his Celtic contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Was doing a bit of light training with a Korean lad the other day, and we decided to take turns running at each other with the ball. He started by doing all these nice stepovers and flicks - I backed off, waited, then when he ran out of ideas, I just nicked it off him. On my turn, I just knocked the ball past him a la Kilbane and accelerated past him. I told him to forget the step-overs and fancy sh*t, keep it simple. He did so, and ended up being much more effective for it.

Moral of the story; McGeady obviously has very quick feet and good technical ability - but there are amazingly gifted dribblers all over the world, from Seoul to Santiago, who are driving taxis and flipping burgers now - simply because they couldn't do the simple things right. Players like Duff rarely beat men with trickery, but rather with tidy control, good balance and a burst of acceleration to gain that extra yard to get a good ball in. McGeady is infuriating, simply because he can do amazing things with a ball, but can rarely play a telling pass, doesn't track back, and his shooting is diabolical. Lawrence is a far more effective player, who has proven himself at EPL and international level. He's a good crosser, takes a good free-kick, gives us defensive solidity up the right hand side and scores goals. What more do you want from a wide player? McGeady offers none of those qualities. He's yet to score in 32 international appearances, while Lawrence has 2 in 8. Aidinho, goals make the difference between qualifying and not, not stepovers and Soccer AM showboatery.

McGeady-ites have gone on and on since the first page of this thread, in 2006, about how Aiden could 'make the difference' to the Irish team; give us some sort of 'X-factor' that we currently lack. Since then, McGeady's international career has been noteworthy only for the fact that he was on the pitch for both our 5-2 defeat to Cyprus and the embarrassing win over San Marino. Andy Reid can't get into the Irish squad, even though he works twice as hard as McGeady and gves the ball away a lot less, which is grossly unfair. When McGeady burst on the scene, I was all in favour of giving him a chance, particularly after watching him in the Champion's League. He's had his chance now, and none of his Soccer AM appearances - for dancing around cloggers in the SPL - are going to convince me he deserves another. He won't leave Celtic this summer, because no club in their right mind would take him for over 5 million - particularly when they could get Lawrence or Hunt for less.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 31/05/2010 at 9:50 AM.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Players like Duff rarely beat men with trickery, but rather with tidy control, good balance and a burst of acceleration to gain that extra yard to get a good ball in.
    Duff is a very relevant comparison here, having set the bar for Irish wingers. And I agree, his wizardry was always, always about getting by the defender to deliver that ball. The dribbling was the means to that end. I'll never forget that Cruyff turn he pulled on the touchline at Lansdowne. While we admired the sublime trickery, Duffer admired the nice meadow he'd opened up for himself and figured how best to make 'em hurt. McGeady might well have taken a bow after the initial turn.

I keep hoping he'll get out of Glasgow and come under the influence of a manager who'll stress the importance of end product, not least to his place in the team. At Celtic, he's the resident cabaret act.
    Last edited by Sullivinho; 31/05/2010 at 3:24 PM.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It's about awareness, there is no point in tricks for the sake of them, I think the problem is players learn these tricks and feel the have to use them.
    It's like a workman who feel he has to use every tool in his tool box on every job, most jobs can be completed with a spanner and a screw driver.
    Or better still the biggest hammer in the box

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Aiden is showing a lack of ambition or self belief by not actively looking at opportunities to prove himself away from Celtic Park.

There comes a time when a player must take a step up if they believe they have the ability. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

20. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Aiden is showing a lack of ambition or self belief by not actively looking at opportunities to prove himself away from Celtic Park.

There comes a time when a player must take a step up if they believe they have the ability. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

The lack of self belief sums up McGeady in a nut-shell. He has the technique but his end product is not there, it's pointless beating one or two men with great skill if you cannot cross the ball or score on a regular basis.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    as fans would you rather have him at spartak moscow or celtic? hopefully he'll get to a prem club though

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    That will be the same self belieif that Lawrence wants to enjoy then after he signs for us in the next few days, dont get me wrong hes awright at crossing but thats about it it.

The thing I dont get about yous is that you give a feck who plays for you even if they were from outer mongolia youd take them, well when Lawrence does sign expect him to be plying his trade in the SPL tae.

Fair doos the guy can hit a good cross but he he has no pace, no skill and I for one will not want him to sign for us which looks inevitable now.

It will be aiden on one wing and lawrence at right back.