Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 20 of 229 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Boruc is right. McGeady is now ready to be the main man!

Well said the Holy Goalie!
    "Everyone, Republican or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small, no one is too old or too young to do something

-- Bobby Sands

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I want to see him do it for Ireland in a competitive match after his last couple of non-performances.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think a poor performance against Wales will leave me justified in my talk about confidence. Seriously though, it really is all about confidence now going into the Wales match. For once I fancy him to have a good game, if he plays.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    I dont think you can put the slovakia/czech rep games down to confidance. he totally made no effort whatsoever. They were two of the worst performances by an Irish player ever in my opinion. I am a fan of his but you have to call a spade a spade. should consider himself lucky if he gets a role as an impact sub. he had his chance and he blew it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    I dont think you can put the slovakia/czech rep games down to confidance. he totally made no effort whatsoever. They were two of the worst performances by an Irish player ever in my opinion. I am a fan of his but you have to call a spade a spade. should consider himself lucky if he gets a role as an impact sub. he had his chance and he blew it.
    the fact is he was selected on merit for the slovakia game and was poor , any other manager would have dropped him so i dont hold his poor performance against czech against him at all, he should start against wales as he is playing very well at club level but if he is restricted to impact sub then he should grab that chance too , he will come good for ireland , nothign surer.
    Was he crazy!! Yeah , in a very special way , an Irishman.
    I slept, and dreamed that life was Beauty;
    I woke, and found that life was Duty.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,714 Posts
    he had his chance and he blew it.
    I remain a bit sceptical but he is only 20. He'll have many more chances.

I think McGeady would shine even more at Celtic if he was feeding Larsson / Sutton, or Van Hooijdonk. I think Hesselink is poor and McDonald, good as he is up to a point, isn't the type of player to benefit from good wing play. I thought McGeady's final ball was poor on Tuesday but then again I'm not sure anyone could put a good ball in to Hesselink.

McGeady will continue to struggle for Ireland until he has a good full back supporting him and a central midfield capable of getting a grip on a game. He was downright careless at home to Slovakia and away to Czech Rep. though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    obviously I was speaking in the immediate short term about him blowing his chance. If ever a player would benefit from a move away from the SPL its him. he has a couple of tricks that will get him by in scotland but needs to be playing at a higher level and pushing himself a bit more. You can forgive any player for having a bad game but in the two away games in slovakia and czech rep he was just totally off the pace and totally making no effort whatsover. he looked like a fan who had won a competition to play for Ireland. altho a fan of who is another question......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    obviously I was speaking in the immediate short term about him blowing his chance.
    Not obvious to me. You seemed quite absolute in your choice of words. Perhaps another moment's reflection before hitting the 'send' button would have added some clarity.

If ever a player would benefit from a move away from the SPL its him. he has a couple of tricks that will get him by in scotland but needs to be playing at a higher level and pushing himself a bit more.
    Higher level? Have you heard of the Champions League? He sure won't get the regular exposure to that competition playing for some mid-table EPL side, I can assure you. No, Aiden is much better off where he is, developing his game, his fitness and his strength. The fact that he signed a 4.5 year deal a few months ago would suggest he agrees with that assessment. I can only say that I'm glad (for both him and for Celtic) that you're not his agent.

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I dont think you can put the slovakia/czech rep games down to confidance. he totally made no effort whatsoever.
    This is actually going into questioning McGeady the person, not the player. I can tell you now that you've got him completely wrong. Just trust me on that one. There's absolutely no way McGeady would slack off in a game. He puts in tremendous effort off the ball. If he wasn't helping back off the ball in those 2 games then it was Stan's instructions. Seriously, not giving 100% is something I hate and I wouldn't be defending him if that was the case.

Strachan is turning McGeady into a very good player. I really rate Strachan in this department and I wouldn't want to see them part ways.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 08/11/2007 at 10:30 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    This is actually going into questioning McGeady the person, not the player. I can tell you now that you've got him completely wrong. Just trust me on that one. There's absolutely no way McGeady would slack off in a game. He puts in tremendous effort.
    He's sh*te though Eirebhoy. He has one good game out of every 5 against decent opposition. I know you love him but he is crap. Always thought he was overrated and haven't seen anything to change my mind.

Not quick enough. Doesn't know when to release the ball. Doesn't score enough goals. Gives the ball away too much. He's too many shortcomings to become a good player at International level.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,714 Posts
    Bill's comment about his performances in those games being among the "worst ever" by an Ireland player interests me. The really awful thing about Stan's tenure was that you could say the same about many players. There were literally dozens of absolutely dire individual performances. I'm not saying this in support of McGeady, merely pointing it out.

Were they not motivated / bothered?
    Not good enough?
    Not fit?
    Not clear of their role?
    Not playing in a position / role that suits?
    Not playing adjacent to a player that'd complement strengths?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    McGeady is young , I have no doubt that he will be good enough for us soon , for some reason it just hasnt happened for him internationally but I suppose Duff was a couple of years older than what McGeady is now before he started making a real impact for us

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    McGeady is young , I have no doubt that he will be good enough for us soon , for some reason it just hasnt happened for him internationally but I suppose Duff was 3 years older than what McGeady is now before he started making a real impact for us
    Duff looked excellent offensively for Ireland by the time he was McGeady's age. McCarthy just preferred the more robust but far less talented Kilbane on the left.

McGeady is no Duff. More Eddie McGoldrick than Duff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Do you not even think McGeady has the potential to be as good as Duff was?
    Even if you dont think he is there now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    He's sh*te though Eirebhoy. He has one good game out of every 5 against decent opposition.
    I thought he was excellent in Portugal a couple of weeks ago and did well against Milan.

Quote Originally Posted by youngirish
    I know you love him but he is crap.
    I don't love him. I'm very biased towards him but that works both ways. I want to see him be a star player for Celtic as much as I do Ireland. I'm pretty sure I don't let this bias cloud my judgement though. It's just the fact I watch him play twice a week and he's in the form of his life.

He certainly does have many shortcomings. Strachan is sorting them out. It's amazing how his pace has increased already. His shot is very poor, he needs to keep working on that. It's his link up play and intelligence that have increased the most under Strachan. I definitely think when he's 28/29 he'll be a playmaker and a lot of the play will be going through him. There's no way that would be the case if it wasn't for Strachan.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,714 Posts
    I remember Duff getting slated at time in his early Irish appearances.

I'll reserve further judgment on McGeady as an international until he has played a few times under a better manager who knows how to deploy players and set a team out properly. Super match the other night but I'd prefer to see him run on to the ball more often rather than taking it standing and a better final ball, like Duff at Chelsea.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gustavo View Post
    Do you not even think McGeady has the potential to be as good as Duff was?
    Even if you dont think he is there now
    No. I couldn't see McGeady making it week in, week out for one of the better teams in the Premiership. I can't see him improving dramatically either irrespective of his age.

There's been no evidence of any major improvements to his overall game (and not just small parts of it) since he broke into the Celtic team about 3 seasons ago. He's always went through spells of having a few decent games followed by numerous poor performances.

Players like McGeady (skillful, tricky wingers) generally don't improve too much with age anyway. If he was a defender or a central midfied player I'd be more hopeful of improvement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts

Players like McGeady (skillful, tricky wingers) generally don't improve too much with age anyway. If he was a defender or a central midfied player I'd be more hopeful of improvement.
    So you dont think for instance Cristiano Ronaldo is a better player than he was 3 years ago?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Actually, on Duff. I think what Strachan is doing with McGeady is exactly what Mourinho tried to do with Duff. In this case though maybe McGeady was 'caught' at the right age. Strachan has constantly says McGeady feels he has to do something special every time he gets the ball. Strachan said he only needs to try something special 3 or 4 times a game. The rest of that time he should be concentrating on his passing and general link up.

Mourinho probably went to the extreme with Duff though. Duff just never tried to beat a player in his last season and a half under Mourinho. A lot of his passes were backwards too and he wasn't looking to make a really dangerous pass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He certainly wouldn't have improved all that much if left to his own devices because he lacked the brain. He'd be a winger all his life who's job is to beat players and put in a few crosses. That's where Strachan comes in though. This time last year I thought he was much better and much more aware player. He's now on another level again.

/btw - I'll try my best to get a video of McGeady playing Milan 3 years ago. That was always thought to be McGeady's best performance. We can then see how much he has changed.
    Last edited by eirebhoy; 08/11/2007 at 10:54 AM.