Page 202 of 229 FirstFirst ... 102152192200201202203204212 ... LastLast
Results 4,021 to 4,040 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    This article by Stephen Hunt could fit neatly into several threads, but it's mainly about McGeady.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-30584704.html

I like his quip about there being 442 and Trap's 442.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Some of us will always believe in our Aiden.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    If you're on twitter, tweet "@BBCMOTD #GOAL1" to vote for McGeady's goal on the opening day of the season as goal of the month for August
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I liked this little tidbit of info from a piece I was just having a read through:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McDonnell
    Darron Gibson and Aiden McGeady have made the trip to Russia [for Everton to play Krasnodar], with the latter on familiar territory.

He received a round of applause at the pre-match press conference for answering questions in the local lingo, having made an effort to learn the language during his stint with Spartak Moscow.

6. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I liked this little tidbit of info from a piece I was just having a read through:
    fair play to him great player and a good human

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    So...

Strachan insists James McCarthy and Aiden McGeady are no loss to Scotland

=

"They’re two terrific players who are at a great club. They’re lads who have got the most out of their ability. Those two have determined their own futures. Aiden did a great job for me at Celtic, he could win games. McCarthy is a lad I've also known for a long time. It would be great to have them but they’re not there, so that’s it. And if they’ve left spaces in our squad, I think we’ve filled them up nicely."

Ridiculous headlines like that really do my head in.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Absolutely, he was nothing but flattering about the pair. Ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Me thinks its a ply from the Indo to raise the performance of the two on the night.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Me thinks it's a ploy to make people click into the link.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Me thinks it's a ploy to make people click into the link.
    It's called click baiting, Buzzfeed and the Daily Mail are masters of the art, and it's working for them both - the mail is the highest trafficed newspaper website in the world, and Buzzfeed are looking to float on the stock exchange
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Fair enough... me thinks it's click baiting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    It's called click baiting, Buzzfeed and the Daily Mail are masters of the art, and it's working for them both - the mail is the highest trafficed newspaper website in the world, and Buzzfeed are looking to float on the stock exchange
    Mail Online are still making negligible cash funnily enough. Read a great article recently. Will root it out.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The headline is slightly misleading. Strachan was saying that paying supporters can do what they want, so long as it's not nasty. He wasn't quite urging anyone to do anything in particular.

19. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    *McGeady scores*

Scots crowd: "Oh no you didn't!"

Ireland win 1-0.

Works for me.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I don't think there's any major new material here and that old myth about McCarthy making a promise to his dying grandfather is given another run-out, but an otherwise decent piece on "how Scottish-born McGeady and McCarthy ended up playing for Ireland": http://thescore.thejournal.ie/aiden-...72284-Nov2014/

Quote Originally Posted by TheScore.ie
    Ex-Scotland defender Gordon McQueen has stoked the flames even further by insisting that the Everton duo deserve to be on the receiving end of a “horrible reception” for choosing the nation of their grandparents over the country they were raised in.

It’s far from a new phenomenon. Celtic’s Charlie Gallagher became the first Scottish-born player to don the green shirt of Ireland way back in 1967 and McGeady and McCarthy are the latest names in a list which includes Ray Houghton, Tommy Coyne, Owen Coyle and current women’s striker Ruesha Littlejohn.

But how did their decisions to commit to the Boys in Green come about?

Paisley-born McGeady had always felt a strong connection to Ireland largely thanks to the influence of his father John, an ex-footballer who would bring the family to holiday at his parent’s home in Gweedore, Co Donegal, every summer.

As the clip below shows, the talented youngster supported Ireland as a boy and recalls watching Ray Houghton lob Gianluca Pagliuca at the ’94 World Cup.

When a rule preventing young Celtic players from lining out for Scotland’s Schoolboys led Packie Bonner to invite him the train with Ireland’s U15s, it felt like a an easy decision.

“An awful lot of people in the Scottish media tried to say that Aiden’s decision was a pragmatic decision based on getting to the World Cup,” explains dad John.

“At the time, Ireland had a better team then Scotland and they seized upon this thinking this guy has seen his future playing with Ireland, maybe getting to the World Cup because Scotland were in the doldrums.

“It wasn’t based on that at all. The decision was based on a very rich heritage of Irish culture passed down from father to son and from aunts to uncles and Aiden spent every single summer in Ireland from a child as I did. So he is very much ensconced in Irish life and he had a real deep unerring love for Ireland.”

The winger impressed almost immediately and moved up through the ranks while also nearing a breakthrough at club level. He clearly made an impression on then Hoops boss Martin O’Neill and was given his first team debut at the age of 18 in April 2004.

Two months later, a senior international debut followed during a friendly against Jamaica at The Valley. The decision didn’t sit well with the Scottish FA or many of their fans, who knew they were losing a talented player with huge potential, and inevitably McGeady was often singled out for abuse during his six years in the Celtic team. The reception at Old Firm rivals Rangers was particularly nasty.

If nothing else then, he and McCarthy have heard it all before.

“We were talking about who would get more stick,” McGeady told the BBC earlier this year. “I said him and he said me. You learn to deal with it. I am old enough now to deal with it. When I was younger, it got on my nerves.”

At international level, McCarthy had been a regular in Ireland underage teams since the age of 16. It was the late Paddy Coyle’s dream for his grandson to represent Ireland and McCarthy made him a promise before his passing.

After being introduced to the player by St Patrick’s Athletic commercial officer Philip Nolan, Ireland youth team boss Sean McCaffrey helped him fulfill that wish.

“I have always wanted to play for Ireland and when the manager Sean McCaffrey picked me for these fixtures against Italy, I was delighted,” McCarthy said at the time.

“I know that I’ll have to work very hard to get a spot in the team because they are a good side. I was born in Scotland but my mother’s family are from Donegal. My grandfather, Paddy Coyle, was a big influence on me before he died and it was my intention to represent Ireland if I was lucky enough to be selected.

“I was a Glasgow Celtic supporter as a kid and my grandfather used to tell about the history of Celtic and the Irish International team.”
    I was just looking for a full list of Scotland-born players who've represented Ireland and Bernie Slaven seems to complete the list along with those mentioned in the piece:

• Owen Coyle
    • Tommy Coyne
    • Charlie Gallagher
    • Ray Houghton
    • Ruesha Littlejohn
    • James McCarthy
    • Aiden McGeady
    • Bernie Slaven

Quite a few Scotland-born players have played for other national sides besides Scotland, such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, NI and the US. Others have played for England, Italy, Uruguay and Wales, and even a few more for the IFA's pre-1950 Ireland team:

• William Kennedy Gibson
    • William Leslie
    • Bob Milne
    • Bob Morrison
    • Joe Ponsonby
    • John Walker

If Gordon McQueen saw the full list of Scots who've represented other lands, he'd be so seething mad, he'd have a heart attack.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    It is a stupid comment from McQueen when you consider the influence the Irish have had on Glasgow and the extremely strong ties that still exist between Glasgow and Ireland (Donegal in particular)
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    I just turned on Everton v QPR and almost immediately Aiden showed some lovely footwork followed by a sumptuous cross which Naismith finished very tidily. Dunne somewhat culpable in the build up, though the main error was Rob Green's duffed clearance.

He has just been subbed.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Nice way to counter the Mirror article that had him statistically the worst crosser in the EPL this season. Because I am all about the stats now like tricky.

I love to see him get into the box and stand the ball up - it's one of his strengths and he doesn't get the chance to do it enough for Ireland when he's always stuck out on the wing.

26. Thanks From: