Results 3,821 to 3,840 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think you are literally the only person in the world who doesn't think McGeady is fast. And not only is he quick, but he can run quickly with the ball in tow, which is something most wingers can't do. It's a bizarre and objectively wrong opinion. If McGeady is slow, then I'd really like to hear your assessment of Andy Keogh.
    I don't think I am the only person to hold that view. For a guy with more skills then let's say an Ashley Young, he simply hasn't gotten the attention of the bigger clubs. Part of the reason for that is, in my opinion, that he just lacks that extra burst of pace.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I actually don't think we ever really get to see whether he's quick with the ball in tow. For years my biggest criticism of him - worse than his final ball - is that he prefers always to take the ball from a standing start. He rarely ever runs onto a ball. Too often he takes too much out of it and makes things harder for himself as a consequence.
    He usually likes to bring the ball to a stand still face the defender and then try to beat him, which he usually does before crossing the ball into row Z and apologising,
    To be fair he seem to make pretty good use of the ball these days he maybe being a bit less ambitious to reduce make sure there is some kind of end product.
    Pace and the ability to cross the ball seem to be two opposing traits, the more you have of one the less you have of the other.
    Ian Harte would be a prime example, dead slow deadly accurate. The other side of the coin being amazing pace coupled with amazing inaccuracy.
    There are exceptions of course, Gareth Bale for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It's difficult to argue with the fact that he's our most prolific assister. And it's not as if his solitary role for us is to supply "end-product" either. There's so much more to his game that is crucial to our success, given the style we play.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    For all the talk of him moving "home", his Spartak side are 3/3 at the start of the new season, and while he missed the first game, he scored the first and made the second in a 2-0 win over Ural, and then made thesecond in a 1-4 win against Dinamo.

Looks to be playing just off either Movsisyan or Emineke.

http://www.1000goals.com/highlights/...7#.UfwONSk1mrs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSQPeGtQ1Nw
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    I thought he had already transferred to Everton. Ah well, at least the Spartak team look like happy campers these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Very few updates on McGeady. His Spartak side are second in the table, 5 points off Zenit who went on a super run after a ropey start to the season.
    They beat Anzhi last night (as most are doing this season), McGeady's saved shot finished by the Armenian Movsisyan.

he's a fan favourite there it seems. They have had one sticky part of the season, where they drew 2 games and lost 1 in the league, as well as getting knocked out of Europe. McGeady got injured in the first of those games. I've caught nearly all of their matches, and when he plays he is instrumental in them getting goals.

Loads of rumours about his family wanting to leave, which probably means he's going in January, so to be playing well when you've a wife and kid in a country they don't like is admirable.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Spartak Moscow willing to listen to offers for McGeady': http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3942/...rs-for-mcgeady

The Republic of Ireland international is nearing the end of his contract with the Russian club and could be set for an exit as early as January

Spartak Moscow are willing to consider offers for Republic of Ireland international Aiden McGeady in the winter.

Spartak general director Roman Askhabadze revealed that, while the club was willing to open contract negotiations with the winger, they would also consider "a good offer" in the January transfer window.

"The club is willing to discuss a new contract for Aiden at any time," said Askhabadze is quoted as saying in the Daily Record. "But if we get a good offer this winter, we would be willing to consider it."

Former Celtic attacker McGeady, 27, joined the Russian outfit in August 2010 and is approaching the end of his contract with the club.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    That's about 6 weeks old I think, but he was dropped at the weekend for some reason - not sure if there was an injury doubt ahead of the game - and if he's dropped against Lokomotiv this weekend (a team he's done very well against in the past) and/or Zenit the following week, then i'd say the end is near.

The fact that the Daily Record are quoting above worries me, he'd hardly be thinking of going back to Celtic. He'd be a good fit at a number of decent continental European clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,343 Posts
    Aiden McGeady: 'I look at the guys playing in England and feel jealous': http://www.theguardian.com/football/...celtic-england
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    That goal was brilliant.

Here's the 4 game ban 'tackle'. Would hardly qualify for a handbags rating.

and the 2 game ban door damage

First time he's hit the target this season apparently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    "Last season we beat Zenit and Lokomotiv Moscow in the last two games to finish second in the league and one of the directors came in and handed out cash bonuses in the dressing room," says McGeady.

Hope the tax man is aware of that.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    "Last season we beat Zenit and Lokomotiv Moscow in the last two games to finish second in the league and one of the directors came in and handed out cash bonuses in the dressing room," says McGeady.

Hope the tax man is aware of that.
    Haha I thought the same thing. I'm guessing not. Good to see Makgidi's agent earning his 15% anyway.

I thought the title of this article was a bit OTT but it makes some very valid points and shows with stats (are they correct, tets?) that he's been our most valuable creative player in recent years.

http://www.thescore.ie/aiden-mcgeady...00295-Nov2013/

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,343 Posts
    Haha I thought the same thing. I'm guessing not. Good to see Makgidi's agent earning his 15% anyway.

I thought the title of this article was a bit OTT but it makes some very valid points and shows with stats (are they correct, tets?) that he's been our most valuable creative player in recent years.

http://www.thescore.ie/aiden-mcgeady...00295-Nov2013/
    McGeady had ten assists by my count under Trapattoni
    Code:
         Date Level                  Home                    Score                      Away Scored by
    06-Sep-08 World Cup Qualifier    Georgia(77)              1-2  Republic of Ireland  (38) Kevin Doyle(13)
    11-Feb-09 World Cup Qualifier    Republic of Ireland(29)  2-1              Georgia (108) Robbie Keane(78)
    07-Sep-10 European Cup Qualifier Republic of Ireland(36)  3-1              Andorra (201) Robbie Keane(54)
    11-Nov-11 European Cup Play off  Estonia(59)              0-4  Republic of Ireland  (25) Keith Andrews(13)
    26-May-12 Friendly               Republic of Ireland(18)  1-0   Bosnia-Herzegovina  (27) Shane Long(78)
    10-Jun-12 European Cup Finals    Croatia(8)               3-1  Republic of Ireland  (18) Sean St Ledger(19)
    11-Sep-12 Friendly               Republic of Ireland(26)  4-1                 Oman  (93) Alex Pearce(85)
    16-Oct-12 World Cup Qualifier    Faroe Islands(158)       1-4  Republic of Ireland  (28) Marc Wilson(46)
                                                                                             Darren O'Dea(87)
    07-Jun-13 World Cup Qualifier    Republic of Ireland(41)  3-0        Faroe Islands (162) Robbie Keane(5)
    Keane only had one,
    Code:
         Date Level                  Home                    Score                      Away Scored by
    11-Nov-11 European Cup Play off  Estonia(59)              0-1  Republic of Ireland  (25) Jonathan Walters(67)
    and none for Dunne

I've sent the writer a message on twitter to ask him what five goals were Dunne and Keane awarded the assist for, he's replied he only has the stats to hand, but he'll look into it and get back to me.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 05/11/2013 at 3:06 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

19. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I thought it was a bit odd at the time that Dunne was there, but I forgot to mention it in my post. I'd imagine Stephen Hunt could have five assists and maybe Duff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,343 Posts
    I thought it was a bit odd at the time that Dunne was there, but I forgot to mention it in my post. I'd imagine Stephen Hunt could have five assists and maybe Duff?
    Lawrence and Hunt had five, Duff only had three, surprisingly enough
    All here: http://irish-abroad.appspot.com/Blog
    as always, open to correction on any of this

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    and the 2 game ban door damage

McGeady on the door damage: "If I score a goal in a derby or am doing really well, that doesn't get in the papers back home and I don't expect it to. But then something bad happens, a suspension, a sending off, issues with the manager, and that does. And gets exaggerated. I kicked the dressing room door and my foot went right through it. I think it was an old Soviet door: cardboard."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    McGeady on the door damage: "If I score a goal in a derby or am doing really well, that doesn't get in the papers back home and I don't expect it to. But then something bad happens, a suspension, a sending off, issues with the manager, and that does. And gets exaggerated. I kicked the dressing room door and my foot went right through it. I think it was an old Soviet door: cardboard."
    Definitely an end product there though

Or as Alan Partridge my say, "The end of a (rather shoddy) product!!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Would not expect Dunne to have many assists, but I'd expect him to get the odd one when he goes up for a header.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    461 Posts
    He played at the weekend as they beat enit. They are 2nd now 3 points behind. He was involved in all 4 of the goal celebrations.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    That was some free kick by Hulk for Zenit's 2nd. You can see why the wall leaves a gap for the ball to pass through freely.