Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidinho View Post
    It saddens me the way you think. if you dont think Ireland will progress with Duff and co. Don't start slagging McGeady because he is the most technically gifted and skillfull player you have and he can play with either foot from what I have seen.

Im no Irish but as a Celtic fan I do follow yous like most in the crowd but it seems to me that Trap will not use 2 wingers and that is the Italian mentality.
    What saddens you specifically? I dont really understand the point you are making with regards to Duff?

I agree McGeady is two footed, an excellent attribute (you would think we could take that for granted with professional footballers but alas we can't so it is definitely a massive positive for him and Ireland).

What exactly is it ive said that you dispute?.

Trap plays 4-4-2 - That has been a mixture of Lawrence/Hunt/McGeady/Duffer as the wide midfielders - Yes Trap ensures they understand their defensive duties but its 2 wingers/wide midfielders is it not?

I'm not sure why Im even bothering to reply when you obviously dont read the posts people make. He may well be Irelands most technically gifted player at the moment (though thats debateable), that doesnt mean he hasnt got areas of his game that need dramatic improvement, worthy of discussion.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    This "saga" frustrates me greatly. First of all, the soundbytes Lennon comes out with can be disregarded as that tosser messed Leicester around himsel. But for Aiden, I dunno, he's an offer from a club with a pretty good history, regularily in European competition, fighting for domestic honours, in a league of a higher standard and a better calibre of player than in Scotland. Plus they're going to double his wages to some 50k a week (approx). To me it's a no-brainer, especially when there is no firm offer in from Villa, a place I don't think he'll be guarenteed a game.

I think I read an article when he was breaking through, that similar to John O'Shea his parents were strict in that his education wouldn't suffer should a professional career develop, and that he's quite an intelligent fella, so learning a second language shouldn't be that hard. I'm presuming it's either ignorance or stupidity that people are saying that moving there would be a culture shock - it doesn't seem to be a problem for the brazilians, portuguese, argentinians etc (non-eastern europeans) that play in the Russian League and prosper. I dare say the 50K pw would make life quite comfortable in Moscow. Go for it Aiden, you're going stagnant at Celtic.

Off-topic, I'd love to see Sheridan make the jump to Levski too,
    Really? Because I would say its probably more ignorant or stupid to suggest otherwise. Thats not to say it isnt do-able, of course it is but to insinuate that it would be a walk in the park because of all the $$$$$ is simply ridiculous. I'm not sure how many of those brazilians, argentinians, etc... learn Russian (Im no expert on languages but Id imagine its a tad tricky bearing in my the crylic alphabet etc..) Perhaps, his girlfriend is not that keen, perhaps he has other family issues to consider, perhaps just doesnt fancy being holed up in some crib mansion with armed bodyguards and all the other crap that will probably come with a move such as this.

In my 2 (albeit very short) visits to Moscow its amazing at how different the place is. Amazing history and buildings and the likes but I bet it can be a bleak place and they can be right moody fcukers - In my opinion it most definitely would be a culture shock.

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Really? Because I would say its probably more ignorant or stupid to suggest otherwise. Thats not to say it isnt do-able, of course it is but to insinuate that it would be a walk in the park because of all the $$$$$ is simply ridiculous. I'm not sure how many of those brazilians, argentinians, etc... learn Russian (Im no expert on languages but Id imagine its a tad tricky bearing in my the crylic alphabet etc..) Perhaps, his girlfriend is not that keen, perhaps he has other family issues to consider, perhaps just doesnt fancy being holed up in some crib mansion with armed bodyguards and all the other crap that will probably come with a move such as this.

In my 2 (albeit very short) visits to Moscow its amazing at how different the place is. Amazing history and buildings and the likes but I bet it can be a bleak place and they can be right moody fcukers - In my opinion it most definitely would be a culture shock.
    Bringing a girlfriend to Moscow as a pro footballer would be like bringing sand to the beach

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Bit bizarre that you wouldnt meet the coach prior to signing?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Junior I suppose what I'm saying is that the fella is far from the dumbass that a lot of players would seem to be, so the inadequate education isn't the factor, and that for people to suggest is incorrect. I believe that if he wants to succeed badly enough, he will. I referenced those fellas as an example of people from a completely different culture with absolutely no idea perhaps of what Moscow is like.

I think he's gone as far as he can with Celtic, and that he should either shoot down the Muscovites or move,
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Fair enough but I dont think anyone (well not posters here that I am aware of) are suggesting he's too thick to make the move, more that its 'Moscow' Im sure plenty of well educated people have struggled to settle there in the past! If it was Spain, Germany or France or the like then the transition would appear to be much easier to make, I think the deal would have been sealed much quicker. England would be his first choice Im guessing and that seems to be the generally accepted view.

I'm a Celtic fan and I agree, he needs to move now. I am not convinced that Moscow would work out if thats where he goes but no matter what I want him to be a success wherever he ends up and prove, in an Ireland shirt, the great player he is and should be for us.
    Last edited by Junior; 05/08/2010 at 2:40 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I think I read an article when he was breaking through, that similar to John O'Shea his parents were strict in that his education wouldn't suffer should a professional career develop, and that he's quite an intelligent fella, so learning a second language shouldn't be that hard. I'm presuming it's either ignorance or stupidity that people are saying that moving there would be a culture shock - it doesn't seem to be a problem for the brazilians, portuguese, argentinians etc (non-eastern europeans) that play in the Russian League and prosper. I dare say the 50K pw would make life quite comfortable in Moscow. Go for it Aiden, you're going stagnant at Celtic.
    Moscow in November is about the last place anyone would want to be (and that is when I came across Roma in Red Square who were there for a Champions League game). I don't know how anyone could play in the conditions. It was painfully cold. Its not just learning a language - its also learning a new alphabet and even though I was really only in the main tourist area of Moscow, there were no roman signs on anything. I was also unable to buy a map to get around. Luckily I had a bit of a map from a magazine that I had taken off the plane. (I was only on a stop over). I've been in a lot of countries (including China), and I would rate it as being the most difficult to get around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Why would Russian people use an English punn??
    Was wondering this myself. Plus, I don't even think the '-ski' suffix is of Russian origin. It's Polish.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hopefully he can settle in if he does go and hopefully Celtic can spend the money well!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Liam Lawrence waiting in the wings to replace him if Aiden does decide to go Russian. Apparently.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    871 Posts
    must admit from personal point of view I dont really want to see him sign for Moscow simply because he is one of my fav players and I enjoy watching him.Would much prefer to see him in the Premiership.

The last player that I remember going from the SPL to Russia was Gary O Connor and that it didnt work out too well from him, dont think he settled there at all.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    must admit from personal point of view I dont really want to see him sign for Moscow simply because he is one of my fav players and I enjoy watching him.Would much prefer to see him in the Premiership.

The last player that I remember going from the SPL to Russia was Gary O Connor and that it didnt work out too well from him, dont think he settled there at all.
    I don't think McGeady really wants to go to Moscow at all but he's being pushed out the door by Celtic as the money on offer is too good to turn down. I'm sure he would prefer a move to England but nobody is really spending in England this Summer apart from Man City and Villa obviously will only come in for him if the Milner transfer goes through.

He might decide to take the money on offer for a season in Moscow and then hope to get a move to England next Summer a la Gary O'Connor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts
    I cant believe there aren't any Prem teams with a little cash that would take a run at him and make it work for both sides....
    What about Sunderland or something like that. Wolves even.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    i honestly dont think the money is in the Premiership this season Crosby. Not enough to take a chance on a player who is, though clearly talented, a relatively untested luxury.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    If any Premiership were offering anything close to 9.5 million pounds, which is the figure I've been reading, he'd be gone in a flash, even on half the wages Spartak Moscow are offering him. That's just a fact.

I highly doubt the likes of Sunderland or Wolves would be offering any more than four or five million. Lads, face it, he's got great skill but it would be a huge gamble - I've watched him play lots and he has never looked the finished product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Gotta love Trap's quotes on the possible McGeady move:

“I think Russia is too far and the championship is not easy. I want to ask him if he is ready psychologically, because McGeady is a very sensitive man and he is very young. Maybe it is a great opportunity, though, and I will be happy for him if he is sure he wants to go. If he is convinced, then okay.”
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    from today's rumours on football365.com: http://football365.com/story/0,17033...296921,00.html
    Aston Villa have launched a move for Aiden McGeady as they finally prepare to sell James Milner. Negotiations with Manchester City will see them get around £20million plus midfielder Stephen Ireland
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    What a fecking deal like. The overrated milner for Ireland, McGeady and 10 million left over! Which could of course go for robbie since he's priced at 6.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Gotta love Trap's quotes on the possible McGeady move:

“I want to ask him if he is ready psychologically, because McGeady is a very sensitive man and he is very young. Maybe it is a great opportunity, though, and I will be happy for him if he is sure he wants to go. If he is convinced, then okay.”
    Huh. not exactly a glowing report on the psyche of Aiden.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.