Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 126 of 229 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    ye not really great but a lot better than stayin at celtic. i can't see any prem club going for him(one that could afford the luxury)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Not named in squad for tonights CL qualifier (though he did travel with them). Hasnt played any pre-season games due to the injury he picked up, though Im sure the risk of injury / getting cup tied may also be a factor in scuppering any deal.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Sounds like he was fit, and Lennon wanted to play him, but the men upstairs wouldn't let him. A deal must be close, surely.

Celtic sure could have used him tonight though -- they clearly lacked imagination or an outlet.

EDIT: Lennon has said he has a back injury, so who knows?
    Last edited by irishfan86; 28/07/2010 at 10:21 PM.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Lennon has said he has a back injury, so who knows?
    Pulled a muscle trying to lift his game

5. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Best post in this thread so far.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Pulled a muscle trying to lift his game
    lol lol - brilliant post

if only aidens performances in an Ireland shirt could put the same smile on my face
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Villa would be a great move for him. He'd be playing against better full backs and if he does well then his confidence would be sky high which should benefit us.

If Villa sell Milner and get McGeady, Keane and Ireland in return then they should be over the moon.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Potential never beat anyone, and thats McGeady's problem. He suffers from wingers syndrome, aka poor end product, and as irishfan86 put it, Lawrence has produced as much in terms of output in a much more limited time.

A move away will hopefully do him the world of good, as he'd gone very stale at Celtic. I'd say by the end of the season we'll know if he has any international future.
    Fair doos mate he has went stale at Celtic playing against the same teams 4 teams a year an 3 or 4 of the same players doubling up on you but to say he has no end product is just a myth that everybody thinks, he is always the top assist maker in the SPL every year and if we had some better strikers he would be into the 30 odd assist category. The problem I feel with Ireland is that yous usually play 1 up top and hes usually hitting the ball into an empty penalty area because hes the only one who has pace in your team if he gets selected to get up there with him.

I'm sick sick of defending McGeady on here to yous, but I will say again If you have have any chance of getting to Poland and Ukraine yous need to try and accommodate this guy. We missed him badly the other night when Lennon got told not to play him against Braga, he might not have set the heather alight if he played but he would sure as hell would have took the baw and ran 30-40yards with it to take the pressure of us which we badly needed.

Lets see what he can do against Lyon today in the Emirates Cup. Sky Sports 1 at 1:30 pm for yous EPL lovers by the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottis...ltics-mcgeady/

Offer tabled for Celtic's McGeady

A "big bid" has been tabled for Aiden McGeady, according to Neil Lennon, with Spartak Moscow believed to be the club behind the offer.

Neil Lennon has confirmed Celtic have received a “big bid” for winger Aiden McGeady, with Russian club Spartak Moscow believed to be the interested party. The Republic of Ireland international has been subject to recent interest from Spartak and has also been linked with a move to Aston Villa.

Speaking ahead of his team's participation in the Emirates Cup this weekend, Lennon was pressed on the future of McGeady, who sat out the 3-0 Champions League third qualifying round defeat to Braga earlier in the week through injury.

Spartak's technical director Evgeniy Smolencev is understood to have been in Glasgow during the week discussing an offer for the 24-year-old with Celtic officials. Whether Smolencev left having presented a formal bid for McGeady remains unclear but, in the meantime, McGeady is yet to be approached for his thoughts on moving away from Glasgow.

When asked whether there had been an offer from Spartak, Lennon replied: “You know he is, you know he is subject of a bid from Moscow,” before adding: “But he's here, he's still with us and he'll take part in this competition.

“I'm talking like he's gone, which is not the case at all. But there has been a big bid from a club on the table. There is strong interest, not just from Moscow. We believe there's interest from other clubs as well.

“He's a big player for us and he has been for a number of seasons now. He was very important to me in the run-in last season. He's a talented player, very talented player.

“But every player has his price, sometimes we can't stand in the way of that. If it's right for the club, the offer, and right for the player, then it's hard to stop these things going through.”

Whether McGeady would be tempted to switch to the Russian capital remains to be seen, with Aston Villa's potential interest likely to hold greater appeal. Nonetheless, his current manager believes he will flourish wherever he finds himself in the future.

“I think he would do well anywhere,” said Lennon. “He's a top quality player and has been for a number of years since he come onto the scene in 2005. He's a player who works really hard at his game and tries to get better at everything he does.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    We've talked about this and i still cant believe he would want to go play in Russia.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Celtic winger Aiden McGeady says he does not fancy a switch to Spartak Moscow.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottis...nt-want-to-go/
    Last edited by The Fly; 01/08/2010 at 5:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Govorit' po-Russki in 10 easy steps:

Left, Right- Nalyeva, Naprava

Yellow, Red- Zholtaya, Krasnaya

First time- Bistriy

Shoot- Pitiy

How many times?- Skolko?

It's over- Konyets

Do you know your history?- Panimayetye istoria?

Celtic Euro bid- Nyevski Prospekt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    404 Posts
    How about: Help Ive been kidnapped!
    Or: Now the whole team wants to stay at my house when we play Russia.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidinho View Post
    Fair doos mate he has went stale at Celtic playing against the same teams 4 teams a year an 3 or 4 of the same players doubling up on you but to say he has no end product is just a myth that everybody thinks, he is always the top assist maker in the SPL every year and if we had some better strikers he would be into the 30 odd assist category. The problem I feel with Ireland is that yous usually play 1 up top and hes usually hitting the ball into an empty penalty area because hes the only one who has pace in your team if he gets selected to get up there with him.

I'm sick sick of defending McGeady on here to yous, but I will say again If you have have any chance of getting to Poland and Ukraine yous need to try and accommodate this guy. We missed him badly the other night when Lennon got told not to play him against Braga, he might not have set the heather alight if he played but he would sure as hell would have took the baw and ran 30-40yards with it to take the pressure of us which we badly needed.

Lets see what he can do against Lyon today in the Emirates Cup. Sky Sports 1 at 1:30 pm for yous EPL lovers by the way.
    Seriously, get a grip. The stick Aiden gets amongst our own supporters (Celtic) either at Celtic Park or on the message boards makes the few gripes or generally disappointed type posts in this thread pale in to insignificance.

Aiden is an undoubtedly talented player (I would say 85%-90% of posters would agree with that on here) However in his 30 odd caps to date, hardly any of those performances stand out for me. Some of them were ok, some of them quite decent and many of them quickly forgettable.

I agree with you that the "no end product" line is to easy to trot out and that he does in fact create a hell of a lot of chances (not sure of his stats for Ireland) but he does waste alot also. His shooting is dyabolical and needs to drastically improve. McGeady should be scoring 10-12 goals a season in the SPL (hes been scoring an average of 5 or 6 including the odd pen).

I am a McGeady fan, he can have great vision but for whatever reason that only comes out on occasion. Partly due to the fact that for the last few seasons or so he has been Celtics talisman, the guy the other 10 players look to in order to create something, that type of pressure can make you change your game and not necessarily for the better.

Not sure if you actually watch Ireland games but we play 4-4-2, have done for as long as I can remember (apart from the odd away game). McGeady is not actually that fast, nothing that a Robbie or Duffer couldnt keep up with anyway. If you think McGeady is breaking away at electric pace with the rest of the team struggling to get up and support him you are deluding yourself.

The guy should be a great player for Ireland, it saddens me to say it but I think he should move this transfer window and try at a higher level (though there doesnt seem to be a massive amount of interest in him) he has gone stale at Celtic. He has now been given ample opportunity to settle in to the international squad, its time he started delivering a few MOTM peformances, assists and may be even the odd goal or two.
    Last edited by Junior; 02/08/2010 at 9:39 AM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    It pretty much depends on the milner move at this stage. If Milner goes, Villa will get him. And since AV aren't in the Champions League, there's no worry about him being cuptied there anyway.

He won't be going to Russia anyway. And the signs are that City will push through the Milner move this week, so Aiden could be leaving the bhoys fairly lively

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Celtic should just hold out for as much cash as possible for AMcG and take the money and run!
    ORA summed it up at the top of this page.

As for his Ireland career, it could only improve by a change of scenery, probably to a better league.....

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    We've talked about this and i still cant believe he would want to go play in Russia.
    Well the alternative seems to be the Aston area of Birmingham, so can you blame him for picking the lesser of two evils :P

In all seriousness I think a lot of people on here are underestimating the strength and financial power of the Russian League. Russian clubs have won European competitions twice in the last 5 years (CSKA Moscow 05 and Zenit 08 in the UEFA Cup) only the Spanish (3 UEFAs, 2CLs) have won more in that time (although England and Italy have also had 2 European competition winners in that time), this is a far stronger record than other countries (esp. France, Portugal, Holland and to some extent Germany) despite having less clubs in each competition due to lower coefficients and playing a summer season.

Some big players from other European countries have started playing in the Russian Premier League - Fernando Mieria (Portgual), Danny (Portugal), Rosina (Italy), Lazovic (Serbia) all play at Zenit; Krasic (Serbia), Tosic (Serbia) and Honda (Japan) all play for CSKA Moscow; Martins (Nigeria) and Ansaldi (Argentina) play for Rubin; Jiranek (Czech) and Stranzl (Austria) play for Spartak and Wilkshire (Australia), Voronin (Ukraine) and Kuranyi (Germany) all play for Dinamo Moscow. All these players have played for their countries and all would command a place in a mid-table Premier League or La Liga squad at the very least.

Also Russian clubs can pay above and beyond the developed football markets, Kuranyi is earning €18 million over 3 years, and only has to pay around 5% on that.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    yeah the russian league is defo not beneath mcgeady. good enough move for him

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    It sounds more like a location issue and there is another offer, but a lesser one for Celtic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Last edited by The Fly; 02/08/2010 at 9:26 PM.