575 Posts
    He was essentially put out to pasture.
    ‘Too old. Not the future’ I imagine was Kenny’s thinking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Plenty of Sunderland fans on the readytogo forum have stated their hope that McGeady would stay (as in, the only current player in the Sunderland squad they feel it is worth retaining).

I still think it absolutely criminal (man) that McGeady wasn't utilised in order to try to avoid a morale-sapping home defeat against Luxembourg. If the general consensus is that he's a cut above the English third division (checks out), and our squad contains third division players...for me that's the manager not doing the job. And I was a huge supporter of Kenny.

Would we have created more chances against Luxembourg with McGeady on the pitch? For me, it's as simple as that.
    Exactly how I feel. Kenny has been unlucky to the point he must be starting to feel like he's completely jinxed in this job, but he has to help himself too and McGeady's exclusion was just daft in our current situation.

3. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    It wasn't posted on here but he signed a one year contract extension with Sunderland a few weeks back.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...nsion-20954137

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    It wasn't posted on here but he signed a one year contract extension with Sunderland a few weeks back.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/spor...nsion-20954137

He's a big hit with the Sunderland faithful
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Another assist tonight. Seems in decent form as Sunderland go second. With one third of the last squad in League One and with us really struggling for goals (Oct games aside), it's strange that there's no place for him in the squad. I don't really want to have lots of third tier players in the squad, and McGeady frustrated the hell out of me down the years, but I think he's a better option than some who are getting in the team and it may be premature casting him aside.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Another assist tonight. Seems in decent form as Sunderland go second. With one third of the last squad in League One and with us really struggling for goals (Oct games aside), it's strange that there's no place for him in the squad. I don't really want to have lots of third tier players in the squad, and McGeady frustrated the hell out of me down the years, but I think he's a better option than some who are getting in the team and it may be premature casting him aside.
    That would have been a fair point in 2018/19, when he was 32, dropped to League One with Sunderland, but was on fire. But at this point he's going to be nearly 37 when the qualifiers for Euro 2024 start and 38 when the tournament takes place and it looks like he won't play higher than League One again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Yeah, he's getting on. But if he's good enough, he's old enough. We've been crying out for some creativity in recent games and if he'd been able to turn one of those poor results against Luxembourg/Azerbaijan/Qatar into a better result, it'd have been worth it for that extra bit of momentum for Kenny. He's 35 now and we've just made a hames of World Cup qualifying; I don't think the focus always has to be on the future at the expense of the now

And if Horgan can start games, then McGeady has to be worth a squad place...
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 20/10/2021 at 8:40 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    418 Posts
    I felt McGeady should have gotten a call up for the WC qualifiers. He was performing for Sunderland at the time and while we needed to bring youth through they also need experienced players playing alongside them. Was never really a fan of McGeady but was more down to he didn't fit in with how other managers want us to play. Would have slotted in nicely in the 3-4-2-1.

But I wouldn't be calling him up now unfortunately. We've got the nation's league before the Euros and a chance for another player to impress like Jamie McGrath has done in his last few games.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    Was never really a fan of McGeady but was more down to he didn't fit in with how other managers want us to play.
    While not trying to start a virtual scrap....you can't be bleedin' serious can you? I mean, there's a serious whack of fecal matter off that line in particular - sure it's in isolation to an otherwise fine post, but if it's brown, leaves a stain, and whiffs, then bull**** is bull****, no matter where it's deposited.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, he's getting on. But if he's good enough, he's old enough.
    He’s not ....good enough that is. Scored one great goal for Ireland, but other than that he always flattered to deceive for me. I think Kenny is right to look to younger players, like Ogbene.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I agree he's always flattered to deceive, but our squad at the moment is the worst it's ever been, so the bar to be good enough is lower than it's ever been. Horgan and Ogbene are making a lesser impact in the same division. OK, the future is elsewhere for sure, but I think our paucity of options doesn't really allow us to discard players quite as casually as we've discarded McGeady. Bearing in mind the reason given was that he wasn't playing at a high enough level, but it's the level that a third of our squad find themselves playing now.

Probably as JR says, the World Cup campaign was the one to leave him in for, and then with the next Nations League starting in June and the Euro qualification in March 2023, that's definitely a bridge too far.
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 20/10/2021 at 8:43 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    I think McGeady suffered from the tendency in these islands to always play tricky technically gifted players on the wing. This was a curse for Aiden as his greatest weakness was crossing the ball. If he’d been born in Spain, he would probably have played in midfield as a 10 or 8. That’s where he’s playing now and is probably having more impact on games than he ever had when he played wide for us. Didn’t Wes start out as a winger, before somebody realised it was a total waste of an outstanding talent.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I think McGeady suffered from the tendency in these islands to always play tricky technically gifted players on the wing. This was a curse for Aiden as his greatest weakness was crossing the ball. If he’d been born in Spain, he would probably have played in midfield as a 10 or 8. That’s where he’s playing now and is probably having more impact on games than he ever had when he played wide for us. Didn’t Wes start out as a winger, before somebody realised it was a total waste of an outstanding talent.
    There may be something in that. For a winger he also seemed to suffer from a chronic inability to beat a man. Anyhow, I just can’t see him as a game changer for us, even as a short term option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    For a winger he also seemed to suffer from a chronic inability to beat a man.
    Tony, that's totally inaccurate. Delivery on the run was his biggest weakness.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Absolutely. I often saw him beat a man and then attempt to beat him again. His crossing was his biggest weakness

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    Maybe I’m misremembering or doing him a disservice, but my memory of him is lots of fancy stopovers, then ends up passing backwards to a team mate.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Maybe I’m misremembering or doing him a disservice, but my memory of him is lots of fancy stopovers, then ends up passing backwards to a team mate.
    He was pretty decent for carrying the ball forward. The problem was the execution of the final ball: pass or cross or shot. Maybe later on he started passing back to try to lose the ball less often. He was frustrating to watch, but there's something to be said for a player who breaks lines with the ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John83 View Post
    He was pretty decent for carrying the ball forward. The problem was the execution of the final ball: pass or cross or shot. Maybe later on he started passing back to try to lose the ball less often. He was frustrating to watch, but there's something to be said for a player who breaks lines with the ball.
    Let’s not forget he brought the ball quickly forward in the run up to Brady’s goal V Italy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Things got so bad with the disservice around these parts, that maybe in 2013/2014, I did a pretty long-winded examination of his contribution particularly around his Spartak days in the irish jersey. don't forget that in the 10/11/12 era, he was often the only 'flair' player, where we didn't exactly flood the box with advancing players.

McGeady's probably my favourite player of the post Kerr-era, and I'm definitely biased, but am not a Celtic fan. We wouldn't have qualified for EUro 2012 without him, and we wouldn't have been in the hunt late on in the other two campaigns without him either.

27. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Absolutely. I often saw him beat a man and then attempt to beat him again. His crossing was his biggest weakness
    And giving away the ball.