Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayo_Bhoy View Post
    He'd be the first player to go the SPL over the EPL to make a fortune in that case.
    "Hey, you take it easy white boy. In French Guyana this isa whatta we call a nice For-Tune. Bye bye to you! Jealous."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oink View Post
    Very impressive last night, though he seems to get the most return when cutting inside from the wing. He's not particularily good at starting wide, beating the full back and whipping the ball in... which unfortunately seems to be what he's told/forced to do with Ireland.
    McGeady said differently:
    "At Celtic (under Strachan) I play out wide - and am told to stay out there - but with Ireland, Trapattoni wants me to come inside."

"It's not a playmaker role, but if I haven't seen much of the ball during the game he encourages me to come inside and try and pick up possession infield. He sees me doing more damage in the middle."

Mowbray has given him a target of at least 10 goals this season and doesn't really want his wide player sticking to any system. McGeady is loving it.

Houghton and the like do my head in with this tracking back lark. They actually put a bit of blame on him for Eduardo's peno because Clichy beat him to a pass. He's not a winger under Mowbray and, like the wide players at Man Utd and Barca, doesn't have to be tracking back all the time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    was at the game also and would agree that mcgeady out of all the players i though stood out, on both sides. Caldwell is unbeleiveably bad.
    Isn't he shocking!!...i.e. Caldwell, unbeievbly poor in both games, the 1st he lost because of an absolutely STUPID free kick.

McGeady definitely stood out, I'd just like to have a chip placed in his head so at the last moment he gets a little shock that forces him to look up, because when he beat 4 Arsenal players and had a shot, he had much more time than he realised and didn't have to just depend on "knowing where the goal is"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    Isn't he shocking!!...i.e. Caldwell, unbeievbly poor in both games, the 1st he lost because of an absolutely STUPID free kick.

McGeady definitely stood out, I'd just like to have a chip placed in his head so at the last moment he gets a little shock that forces him to look up, because when he beat 4 Arsenal players and had a shot, he had much more time than he realised and didn't have to just depend on "knowing where the goal is"
    If we're thinking of the same play, I feel that he made the right decision to take a shot when he did, and if you look at the replay, he really didn't miss by much.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    If we're thinking of the same play, I feel that he made the right decision to take a shot when he did, and if you look at the replay, he really didn't miss by much.
    If he had looked up, he would have scored.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Modric is out for 6 weeks with fracture fibula,I wonder will this lead to Redknapp making a bid for McGeady
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    McGeady sent off today. Didn't see the first yellow but from one angle of the replays they showed, it looked like he dived. He didn't complain either so to me he's got guilty written all over him.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Teletext says it was harsh. In general I think even if there was no contact it doesn't automatically mean it's a dive - and more often than not I think it should be a foul. Often you're dodging the contact - that's why you go down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    A foul for no contact? Is that what you're saying?
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Teletext says it was harsh. In general I think even if there was no contact it doesn't automatically mean it's a dive - and more often than not I think it should be a foul. Often you're dodging the contact - that's why you go down.
    Exactly.. Had this argument a couple of years ago after Ronaldo won a peno for United against Middlesboro, and I'm not a united fan. There shouldn;t need to be contact. I dunno what the official stance is though...
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Saw it, he jumped out of the way and wasn't looking for ANYTHING. Referee should be suspended, idiot.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    A foul for no contact? Is that what you're saying?
    Exactly what I'm saying.

For me the most clear cut example was David Seaman against Jan Koller in Dortmund in a CL game about 10 years ago. Just like Almunia yesterday, Seaman rashly chased a through ball & was beaten to it by Koller. Koller touched it around Seaman and would probably have scored had Seaman not dived in front of him, missing the ball. Koller had no choice but avoid Seaman's lunge and dived over him evading the tackle. A penalty was rightly given but the UK commentators branded Koller a cheat. I'm an Arsenal fan and thought it was a nailed on penalty.

I'll see if it's on youtube.

I think that if you go to ground to win a tackle and miss, but causing the attacking player to lose possession, it should be a foul in most cases.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I guess what I'm trying to say is that not all going to ground without contact is cheating and that you don't have to actually take a guy out to make a foul.

Take the Fletcher on Arshavin incident yesterday. I don't think anyone thinks it wasn't a penalty, despite Fletcher eventually getting some of the ball.

Now, what would have happened if Arshavin had been a bit quicker and dived out of the way seeing Fletcher's lunge coming? It would still have been every bit as much of a foul in my opinion.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Last edited by celticV3; 30/08/2009 at 7:04 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    788 Posts
    Have to say I think McGeady only has himself to blame for that one. He wasn't touched so there was no reason for him to fall. If he kept going he might have been bodychecked but he didn't stay on his feet long enough to find out.

He was already on a yellow and Celtic were winning the game, so it was a stupid thing to do.

Would still like to see him go to the premiership but its looking less likely by the day. He could be a truly outstanding winger, but he'll never develop to his full potential in the SPL, and will always struggle with the step up to international level as long as he is playing there.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    AS said above, I'm all for allowing players the benefit of the doubt in that just because they go to ground it doesn't mean they've dived. On looking at that replay however, it looks to me like McGeady was anticipating a tackle that never materialised and was trying to win a free.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If Aidan McGeady was a Scottish internatioanl playing for Rangers, there is ABSOLUTELY no way he would have been sent off.

He may have been tired and avoided contact but before taking the ultimate decision of a sending off, it should be much, much clearer that there was intent to win a free as with Eduardo leaving his foot in on Boruc to gain a penalty...clear intent to cheat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It's the first time I seen the incident but it just shows you that a lot of it must be instinct because McGeady is one who wouldn't dive if he had the chance think about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    was at the game also and would agree that mcgeady out of all the players i though stood out, on both sides. Caldwell is unbeleiveably bad.

Completely agree, and yet he wont the PFA and the Writers player of the year for the SPL last year.........words fail me!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    If Aidan McGeady was a Scottish internatioanl playing for Rangers, there is ABSOLUTELY no way he would have been sent off.

He may have been tired and avoided contact but before taking the ultimate decision of a sending off, it should be much, much clearer that there was intent to win a free as with Eduardo leaving his foot in on Boruc to gain a penalty...clear intent to cheat.

Oh sweet mary Mother of God